Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Princess Bride Has a Really Terrible Score sez Richard Thompson…  (Read 2786 times)

hunter

Re: The Princess Bride Has a Really Terrible Score sez Richard Thompson…
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 07:43:44 PM »
It's been a long time since I watched the film or listened to the soundtrack from beginning to end. I like the film, goofy and irreverent, with tons of memorable dialog. The soundtrack is not exactly John Williams level, but I feel it works for the film. The synth/synclavier sounds are cheesy and awful today; a proper orchestra would have made it sound much better:

Also, I think it would have been wise of Mark to team up with a "proper" soundtrack composer to iron out a couple of "creases". Mark's strong suit is writing melodic music, and I think indeed the melodies and motifs are good.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 10:02:41 AM »
It's been a long time since I watched the film or listened to the soundtrack from beginning to end. I like the film, goofy and irreverent, with tons of memorable dialog. The soundtrack is not exactly John Williams level, but I feel it works for the film. The synth/synclavier sounds are cheesy and awful today; a proper orchestra would have made it sound much better:

Also, I think it would have been wise of Mark to team up with a "proper" soundtrack composer to iron out a couple of "creases". Mark's strong suit is writing melodic music, and I think indeed the melodies and motifs are good.

That cheesy sound is exactly what Reiner wanted for the film.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 12:15:37 PM »
I read somewhere, maybe the Cary Elwes book, that Reiner wanted the soundtrack that way to fit with the way the film was made, with that kind of special effects, that contributed to the film to be funny with not specially good effects, like it was a kind of joke film.

Reiner liked the synclavier approach for the music.

Is it possible not to like the film? I thought the irony in the film was obvious. Like you say, the "special effects" are intentionally made bad! It is the Shrek of the 80s; it makes fun of fairytails, in a sweet and heartwarming way. And I love the music, it is so relaxing. The sylclavier was THE thing at that time if I understand. 

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 41 queries.