Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 608925 times)

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »
good point ;D
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
thanks for that. even though i doubt this guy was looking for trouble, he simply has no sense of humor.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »
I can't believe people are getting so worked up about this over there.

Personally I suspect people are just using it as an excuse to suck up to GF. If GF had come out and said he loved it nobody would be calling you a morom or whatever it was.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2009, 10:44:06 PM »
I too, honestly thought that this was going to be a harmless bit of fun, which everyone would have seen the funny side of.  ::)
The footage, i'm sure was never meant to dis-respect the artist.
I'm a die hard fan as you know, who will follow Mark's work to the ends of the earth, with the upmost respect, but i still found it extremely funny.
I've even found myself feeling guilty for finding it so funny.

Oh well. :-\

Cheers    BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »
i thought the same thing dusty, therefore i usd the term "kissing ass" in my reply to the forum...

Offlineemilianomk

• Camerado
« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2009, 12:33:10 AM »
I think that is funny if you are a fan, but if you are the artist its a bit shocking
the part of sweet child its exelent, I like to when glenn do the arreglements on the bass

anyway a new studio diary its coming, guy says first days of march

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »
Of course, everyone has a different sense of humour and it would be boring if we all found the same thing funny.  I, for one didn't find it funny at all!  I think I must be the person who saw the king with no clothes on!   ;) 

I think many of you on this forum are probably too young to remember the Morecambe & Wise sketch with Andre Previn "No,   sunshine, they're the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order".   ;D  Now that sketch was really funny and has stood the test of time - more than 30 years to be precise.  I don't think those videos will be remembered in 30 years time - they will be long forgotten.

BTW, Agreeing with someone's point of view doesn't mean "sucking up" or "kissing ass".   

If we all agreed and followed eachother's opinion for fear of upsetting someone, this would be a very dull forum indeed!   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:06:25 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
In reply to a question on Guy's Forum today, there will be a LOT of solo and lead guitar on the new album!   :D  That sounds good to me!  ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2009, 03:52:21 PM »
Of course, everyone has a different sense of humour and it would be boring if we all found the same thing funny.  I, for one didn't find it funny at all!  I think I must be the person who saw the king with no clothes on!   ;) 

I think many of you on this forum are probably too young to remember the Morecambe & Wise sketch with Andre Previn "No,   sunshine, they're the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order".   ;D  Now that sketch was really funny and has stood the test of time - more than 30 years to be precise.  I don't think those videos will be remembered in 30 years time - they will be long forgotten.

BTW, Agreeing with someone's point of view doesn't mean "sucking up" or "kissing ass".   

If we all agreed and followed eachother's opinion for fear of upsetting someone, this would be a very dull forum indeed!   

Personally I found the video funny partly because I have been in a lot of mediocre bands/sat in guitar shops listening to people trying out guitars and therefore the type of shredding supposedly carried out by MK in the video is all too familiar - as Homer Simpson himself says "It's funny because it's true." If you haven't been in those type of situations then I guess it may not be as funny, I don't know.

As for Morcambe and Wise, yes it is still remembered 30 years on but it was broadcast to something like 20 million people at a time when there were only 3 television channels. Who knows, if 20 million people watched this then they might remember it in 30 years time (Of course the Andre Previn thing has also been repeated loads of times over the years, I wasn't around when it was first broadcast but I've still seen it dozens of times.)

And of course agreeing with someones point doesn't necessarily mean kissing someones arse, but in this case it was definitely happening. There was absolutely no need to call Maarten a prat.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »
No, Maarten should not have been called a prat. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:22:20 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2009, 04:25:48 PM »
Yes, I should point out that my anger is of course not directed at you Val.  :)

I just thought the guy who called Maarten a prat was, well, a prat.

I don't really see why it's that difficult for people to accept that different people find different things funny, loads of people in Britain find Jim Davidson funny, but I think he's about as funny as finding blood on your toilet paper.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »
Thanks, Dusty.  The person who I find most funny on TV at the moment is Harry Hill, but, hey that's my sense of humour!  He has me laughing out loud!   :D    I quite like Al Murray too!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
Oh man, I LOVE Harry Hill. Was watching him last night - he's usually on on a Saturday when I'm giving Charlie his bath so I usually download it and watch it later.

So funny last night, "He's a cyan man..."

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »
Yes, I should point out that my anger is of course not directed at you Val.  :)

I just thought the guy who called Maarten a prat was, well, a prat.

I don't really see why it's that difficult for people to accept that different people find different things funny, loads of people in Britain find Jim Davidson funny, but I think he's about as funny as finding blood on your toilet paper.
--> now THAT'S funny!!

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
I didn't have time a few days to read this whole thread and see what I missed! :o

First of all the message of Ingrid about the concerts next year! Thanks to the help of Ingrid I was able to order tickets for the Sunday evening. I never bought something online and had no clue what I had to do! Then when I had my tickets, they announced that the kick off would be on Saturday and I wanted to be there on Saturday too, but couldn't go twice!!   :'( So again thanks to Ingrid I was able to change my tickets with the extra Saturday tickets Ingrid ordered for me.

Yeeeeahhhhh...........I could be there on Saturday whole day and evening with all the wonderful fans I met at the forum! Thanks to them not only I, but also Jans had a wonderful time!  ;D I remember the cold weather and standing in front of the doors for such a long time......uuuhhhh Ingrid can't you try to get a heater for us next time?  ;) Then the run to the stage after the doors went open.........Man I didn't know what I saw when suddenly all the fans we were together with whole midday within a second run so fast that  it sure was a new world record!  :o  What a time we had all together at the concert and although Jans isn't a fan of Mark, he sure likes to listen to his music now! ........OOohhhh the thoughts of being at a new concert and meeting you all again, makes me feel excited again too! :P

We all have to make appointments because I would love to meet you all again, even Mister Prat!  ;D.........Haha, I am joking Pottel! It was great to meet you and you are a great guy and NOT a prat (Btw I had to search for the word in dictionary!!)

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.