Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "Tunnel of love" lyrics written in stone...  (Read 13221 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: "Tunnel of love" lyrics written in stone...
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
I like very much Sydney 86. Of course too short but tight version. And this sort of abrupt start "waouh", no boring intro, straight to the thing.

I see what you mean, but I wouldn't call the TOL intro "boring"

The sax part is not my fave. If I remember well, by 91 no more sax on it

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 02:06:30 AM »
I like very much Sydney 86. Of course too short but tight version. And this sort of abrupt start "waouh", no boring intro, straight to the thing.

I see what you mean, but I wouldn't call the TOL intro "boring"

Indeed, I loved in the intro.  Terry's powerful drums, then Chris on his sax followed by Mark doing some wonderful improvisation - never the same twice.  Great and powerful.  Impact, followed by near silence as they brought it down to a whisper, then Mark would play little pieces and talk about the Spanish City etc.  What's not to like about that?  Talk about setting the mood!  Sheer brilliance.

TOL whatever versions, I LOVE them all.  :) I love it a lot when Mark talked about the Spanish city. And the version where he introduced band members. Uniondale with over 20 minutes is pure heaven.  I just wish that all these bootlegs come in better sound quality.  I'm so spoiled by Simfy.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
I'm always quoting Wembley/Sydney because I prefer watching videos than listen to pure sound

opposite for me : I prefer listen to audio only with headphones, or in the car.
therefore I can focus on music only : melody, arrangements, new chords changes, new licks, musical quotes....

while watching videos, I try to see what PU combination is used, what stompbox is on the floor, Mark's facial mimics, other musician's instruments and so on....so sometimes I just forget to listen to the music  ;D

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »

Jarle, thank you for this wonderful news! In the beginning I didn't know what the Spanish city was and wondered what Mark was singing about  :hmm, until one of the MK fans told about it!   ;D

I like the song, especial the Uniondale version because of the introduction of the band,  it is great!  :clap
I prefer watching the video of Wembley 1985, because it has a good quality! :P

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 08:26:17 PM »
I'm always quoting Wembley/Sydney because I prefer watching videos than listen to pure sound

therefore I can focus on music only : melody, arrangements, new chords changes, new licks, musical quotes....

while watching videos, I try to see what PU combination is used, what stompbox is on the floor, Mark's facial mimics, other musician's instruments and so on....so sometimes I just forget to listen to the music  ;D

Actually, this makes me think of what I call the "live album paradox".

A live album is something like an oxymoron: by definition, "live" is an experience, not an album. I noticed that, as much as I love collecting concert videos and/or listening to audio bootlegs, these experiences don't even come close to the emotion of attenting a concert. Even a high definition blu-ray disc with superb DTS-MA sound cannot reproduce this experience. Ohterwise concerts would be empty... and they are not, far from it ! concerts are maybe the only thing in the music business that people are still ready to pay a high price for ! because it is a unique experience. Video or audio recordings are certainly nice as a souvenir, or to get an idea of what you have missed; but it is no substitute for the real thing.

And maybe we have here the explanation of why Mark is so reluctant to issue DVDs. He loves the experience of playing live, an experience he wants to share with fans, but he does'nt feel the need for recording them and let them live forever. Each concert is different, and have a very short live spam - when it is over, it is over, just a memory. Maybe that's why he could't care less if we want a DVD of Wembley'85 or even Montreux'2010. You like my music ? come to my concert and enjoy ! :)

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 06:41:43 AM »

Actually, this makes me think of what I call the "live album paradox".

A live album is something like an oxymoron: by definition, "live" is an experience, not an album. I noticed that, as much as I love collecting concert videos and/or listening to audio bootlegs, these experiences don't even come close to the emotion of attenting a concert. Even a high definition blu-ray disc with superb DTS-MA sound cannot reproduce this experience. Ohterwise concerts would be empty... and they are not, far from it ! concerts are maybe the only thing in the music business that people are still ready to pay a high price for ! because it is a unique experience. Video or audio recordings are certainly nice as a souvenir, or to get an idea of what you have missed; but it is no substitute for the real thing.

And maybe we have here the explanation of why Mark is so reluctant to issue DVDs. He loves the experience of playing live, an experience he wants to share with fans, but he does'nt feel the need for recording them and let them live forever. Each concert is different, and have a very short live spam - when it is over, it is over, just a memory. Maybe that's why he could't care less if we want a DVD of Wembley'85 or even Montreux'2010. You like my music ? come to my concert and enjoy ! :)

I absolutely agreed with you.  It's not only the experience of being at the concert, but also the excitement and the anticipation of going to the concert. 

But a concert dvd is particularly  nice to relive the memory.  Especially when you can't attend one. 

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2013, 01:05:30 AM »
Thats nice,  but...

What happens with all the fans from the South part and the east of the planet Earth?

They cant live what its a MK concert and they cant have a dvd to at least get an idea.

Do you think all those fans would agree with you?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »
1- agree with Jbaent

2- maybe I am an exception, but although I like the excitation to go to a concert, I must admit I enjoy more listen, re-listen, and re-re-listen to live recordings. I think it's the purpose of music : to be listenened (and yes also to be shared as human experience). Of course the live experience is a nice one, but in the case of DS/MK I tend to think that musical arrangements are more important than the artist-public interaction. Marks is not really a showman, his art is more in playing music than giving a show, so I'd say that DS/MK gigs are rarely a "live" memory. On the other hand, the way the songs are rearranged is (almost) all the time great IMHO.
I think it's more relevant to talk about "live experience" with bands/artists like hendrix (obvisouly)/ stones/ ac/dc / springsteen (for atris-public interaction) / floyd (for the visual experience), etc...

3- about "live albums", yes Herlock you're right about the oxymore in most of the cases, BUT there are several "anti-examples" where the release of a live recording was in the same way as an album (because it was thought as whole concept with a film, a special songs ordrer, a special cover artwork, sometimes stuido mixed with live, etc...) :
- Led Zep / songs remains the same
- U2 / rattle and hum
- band / the last waltz
- floyd / live at pompei
and surely many others

since the first time I heard and saw Alchemy, I always considered it as an "album" :
- "theatral" concept with stargazer introduction
- songs rearranged, with old ones fitting well with the new ones, as if they were from the same era
- artwork concept
- the video introduced by a little pool scene with band members
- musical, package, visual unity
to me it was THE live album from DS discography, it could'nt be another one
at the time I thought it was reharsed, played, produced only in the purpose of the release....

Of course I was wrong, and that's only after discovering bootlegs, I realized that it was "just" a gig from the LOG tour ( at least the las one), nothing less, but nothing more....

another gig could have well be released instead (Paris was recorded because PB appeared on the MFN comp)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 38 queries.