Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New programme with MK - MARK LAWSON TALKS TO...  (Read 16489 times)

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
Re: New programme with MK - MARK LAWSON TALKS TO...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
  Now these are low-profile shows on satellite channels with low viewing figures (I'm guessing here) so he doesn't have to worry about his exposure.

The one on Sunday is on BBC4 at 8 pm, therefore peak viewing time, not tucked away on Sky Arts.  ;)  "A Life in Song" was also on BBC4 and attracted the biggest audience for that particular type of show, according to BBC figures!   BBC4 is probably the best music channel, at the moment, especially on Friday nights when there are lots of interesting music related programmes to watch.

He has also appeared twice at Hay-on-Wye, something I couldn't have envisaged happening some years ago!  :)

In DS heyday though, the programme would have been picked up by BBC1, BBC2, ITV or C4 and it would have probably been a special of a mainstream music show.  Thank god no C5 back then! :lol

There was no BBC4 in DS heyday!   It began in 2002!   ;)

Of course, there were only four channels.  Just testing! ;)  If they had all of todays channels back then, it would be on one of the main four channels - that's what I meant! :hmm

Yes, it would probably have been on BBC2, but these days BBC4 is, in my view, the main BBC channel for music - it's the one I watch regularly anyway.   BBC2 is fine for Jools Holland, though!   :)

...and the awesome Trasnatlantic Sessions!!
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »
  Now these are low-profile shows on satellite channels with low viewing figures (I'm guessing here) so he doesn't have to worry about his exposure.

The one on Sunday is on BBC4 at 8 pm, therefore peak viewing time, not tucked away on Sky Arts.  ;)  "A Life in Song" was also on BBC4 and attracted the biggest audience for that particular type of show, according to BBC figures!   BBC4 is probably the best music channel, at the moment, especially on Friday nights when there are lots of interesting music related programmes to watch.

He has also appeared twice at Hay-on-Wye, something I couldn't have envisaged happening some years ago!  :)

In DS heyday though, the programme would have been picked up by BBC1, BBC2, ITV or C4 and it would have probably been a special of a mainstream music show.  Thank god no C5 back then! :lol

There was no BBC4 in DS heyday!   It began in 2002!   ;)

Of course, there were only four channels.  Just testing! ;)  If they had all of todays channels back then, it would be on one of the main four channels - that's what I meant! :hmm

Yes, it would probably have been on BBC2, but these days BBC4 is, in my view, the main BBC channel for music - it's the one I watch regularly anyway.   BBC2 is fine for Jools Holland, though!   :)

...and the awesome Trasnatlantic Sessions!!

Yes, Transatlantic Sessions were on BBC4 too!    Another series starting soon!    :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »

[/quote]

Yes, Transatlantic Sessions were on BBC4 too!    Another series starting soon!    :D
[/quote]

Zzz...
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »

[/quote]

Zzz...
[/quote]

The live shows are wonderful!    Everyone's taste is different, thankfully!    ;)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
RADIO TIMES (the BBC's own weekly TV and radio listings magazine, in case overseas AMIT-ers don't know) says that Mark "talks about his early life and his career with Dire Straits", mentions that collaborations include Tina Turner and Bob Dylan, and says Mark is set to embark on another tour. 

Yes, maybe MK is more comfortable in his skin these days but perhaps there are other factors at play.

(1) time has passed since the DS heyday and the passage of time smooths and soothes
(2) MK wants to put his own view/memories forward
(3) at a certain age, one's legacy becomes a consideration
(4) MK feels a need to raise his public profile

In case nobody has mentioned it, the MK programme is on twice this coming week (Sunday 3 March and repeated on Friday 8 March). On the Friday, it follows a documentary entitled "The Ballad of Mott the Hoople". The latter has "rare and previously unseen footage". Sadly, there is no mention of this for MK's programme but you can live in hope.

QUICK MODIFICATION #1: A friend of mine, a Mott The Hoople fan, no less (in fact, he once was a roadie for them, as I recall) says he thinks the BBC programme is an edited version of a publicly available DVD. Maybe Mark will issue his BBC4 programme as an extra in a future release.

QUICK MODIFICATION #2: Not on the subject but another of my contacts (who is very keen on Mark's solo concerts and albums) said to me that he wishes PRIVATEERING were a single CD, as he thinks it would have had more impact.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:20:29 AM by twm »

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
"In case nobody has mentioned it, the MK programme is on twice this coming week (Sunday 3 March and repeated on Friday 8 March)."

It is on 3 times in fact, as it is also repeated at 00:15 (very early) Monday morning.
This baker's boy from the West Country

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 03:09:06 PM »
This reply is in reference to twn modification #2 about if Privateering had been a single it would have a much more impact to the album.  I totally agreed.  It's so much a better song than Red Bud Tree.  IMO.  As a matter of fact, it's the best song in the  album for me.   :thumbsup :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »
This reply is in reference to twn modification #2 about if Privateering had been a single it would have a much more impact to the album.  I totally agreed.  It's so much a better song than Red Bud Tree.  IMO.  As a matter of fact, it's the best song in the  album for me.   :thumbsup :)

Regarding twm's modification #2, As I read, I understood that it would have been better to have been a single album rather than a double one.    ;)

I love the whole of the album - there are no skippers, but it is quite long and I always have to break off from listening, to attend to other things!   I would rather have the two discs than one though and maybe I will have enough time one day to listen to it right through, including the bonus songs, without a break!    :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:31:28 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
Two different styles - celtic and bluesy.  Therefore two discs.  Apart from that, for me there are a lot of skippers and I wish it was on one disc with a lot of cuts because there is some quality stuff on there being hidden amongst too much fodder.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 04:35:37 AM »

Regarding twm's modification #2, As I read, I understood that it would have been better to have been a single album rather than a double one.    ;)

I love the whole of the album - there are no skippers, but it is quite long and I always have to break off from listening, to attend to other things!   I would rather have the two discs than one though and maybe I will have enough time one day to listen to it right through, including the bonus songs, without a break!    :)

superval

Thanks for correcting me . Guess it was too early for me in the morning when I read it.  I wasn't quite awake. oops !

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 10:24:42 PM »
Very good interview, if only for the bit where MK is questioned about brother David and his departure from the band.

Missed the first 15 mins,, but would have liked to have heard a bit more  about DS in their prime, but maybe this was covered in the bit I missed.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »
Very interesting.  I had big fears at the start - the first couple of questions were sidestepped by MK who went into standard mode ("I asked for a piece of paper" etc), but it got much better. I thought Mark Lawson had him on the ropes re DK, but let him off the hook. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 02:06:56 AM »
Very interesting.  I had big fears at the start - the first couple of questions were sidestepped by MK who went into standard mode ("I asked for a piece of paper" etc), but it got much better. I thought Mark Lawson had him on the ropes re DK, but let him off the hook. :)

It would be great to hear a summary of the interview from someone who saw it for those of us who live where it was not broadcast. And that whole DK thing is still a mystery to me. What could possibly have happened to keep two close brothers, both of whom seem to be very nice people, apart for all of these years? Conjectures?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 08:56:38 AM »
I enjoyed it verymuch.   I think Mark Lawson was a very good interviewer and probed some aspects of MK's life more than others have done before, eg Mark's father and his membership of the Communist Party, Jewishness, Mark's love of the North, especially the North East, etc.  I think Marked looked rather uncomfortable when the subject of David was broached and it showed in his body language!   A lot of the footage has already been covered on "A Life in Songs" especially the photographs and film clips, but all in all it was very well done.   Need to watch it again to take it all in!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
You can download the DVD here:
http://tracker.knopflertk.net/torrents-details.php?id=2512
or
http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=23906

Thank simonlofc for recording, authoring, and sharing this DVD!

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 35 queries.