Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 39893 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Reviews
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2018, 09:34:41 PM »
… and here we learn, that "Matchstick man" and "Back on the Dancefloor" will be part of the 2019-tour-setlist …

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/get-buzz-kid-mark-knopfler-talks-road-wherever/

I thinkit' will be the first time ever that Mark will play alone on guitar in front of live audience.
At least he always had Guy on keyboard, or bass and drums (Sonny Liston), but alone I can't remember
I don't count Tv and radio promos

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »
This danish journalist must be the life of the party  :lol
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Dire review in The Times today from Will Hodgkinson. I’m not sure he’s listened to the whole thing, and I’m pretty sure he’d written most of the review in his head before listening. He even manages to quote from the wrong song:-

★★☆☆☆
Dire Straits’s former leader is revered for his guitar wizardry, has produced everyone from Tina Turner to Bob Dylan and is in high demand as a soundtrack composer.

Nonetheless, as Mark Knopfler goes, “Mmm, yeah’’, in a voice somewhere between Dylan and JJ Cale on Trapper Man, he sounds like the last word in dad rock: clean, precise, unremarkable, ideal for listening to while chugging along the M1 at a steady 70mph.

Matchstick Man even offers a day in the life of the pro-level dad rocker, albeit one without Knopfler’s £75 million: “So there he was, then, Penzance to play . . . early morning Christmas Day, he’s hitching home to Geordie Land.” There are some nice reflections on ageing, and plenty of tasty blues licks and smooth grooves, but it really is hard to find this interesting. (Virgin)

Love Expresso

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »
The 75 Million line says it all really. Don't know why that has to be mentioned in an album review really.

I agree that after a first superficial listen Mark's music could be described as he did maybe. But that's the thing, he's the opposite of supetficial.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »
… and here we learn, that "Matchstick man" and "Back on the Dancefloor" will be part of the 2019-tour-setlist …

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/get-buzz-kid-mark-knopfler-talks-road-wherever/

I thinkit' will be the first time ever that Mark will play alone on guitar in front of live audience.
At least he always had Guy on keyboard, or bass and drums (Sonny Liston), but alone I can't remember
I don't count Tv and radio promos

3rd June 2007: 'Secondary Waltz' at Hay on Wye was just MK on guitar... (No input from Guy)
Both the Live interview in the barclays tent and also the Hay on Sky programme...

'Fish and the bird' - Kill to get crimson tour 2008??
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:19:10 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2018, 12:20:36 PM »
The "dad-rock" accusation is fair to the general public though. Having had the new album on with my long suffering wife and 19 yr old daughter, MK stands accused of delivering so called "dad-rock" verbatim! It's the same way I felt when I first discovered MK had had a solo career way back when I joined AMIT !!! Quite a shock - yet now one of my favourite go to places on a train journey is KTGC!!
My first impressions of this new one, is I like it much more than Tracker and this is a return to form that is on par with the best songs of Privateering; just the quieter dad ones though!
First impressions can be tricky though, only as the months and years roll on do we get a true taste of what endured.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
The interesting thing is that the reviewer in The Times review has missed completely that the "Mmm yeah" in Trapper Man is part of the character - MKs great strength as a writer - the Trapper Man is an A&R music man - and the Mmm Yead is very character appropriate. He misses that entirely and thinks it is a dad rock shout out.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »
The interesting thing is that the reviewer in The Times review has missed completely that the "Mmm yeah" in Trapper Man is part of the character - MKs great strength as a writer - the Trapper Man is an A&R music man - and the Mmm Yead is very character appropriate. He misses that entirely and thinks it is a dad rock shout out.

Well spotted and very correct...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »
I remember this brazilian journalist calling Mark 'pouca telha', a silly slang for bald head, when reviewing Golden Heart. His last sentence after dishing pretty much the whole album was 'well, how could an album that has a song called Je Suis Désolé be good?'. The reviewer from The Times seems to be from the same lot. I mean, I'm not saying everyone must love it, but at least do your job properly, listen to the songs carefully with an open heart, and then write your thing, either positive or negative, but providing knowledgeable reasoning instead of superficial judgement. Respect to the grumpy danish dude, he didn't like it but you can tell he did his job.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:33:17 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinekudu88

• Guitar George
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »
Zuger Zeitung, Switzerland 20181117:

Mark Knopfler wünscht sich einen Gitarrenlehrer

ROCK Mark Knopfler ist einer der grossen Gitarristen unserer Zeit. Seit dem Ende von Dire Straits folgt er still und virtuos nur seinem Musikerherz. Auch in seinem neuen Album «Down the Road Wherever».
Umgeben von Gitarren sitzt Mark Knopfler in seinem Studio, verströmt Frieden und redet über sein neues Album «Down the Road Wherever». Es ist sein zehntes seit er vor 23 Jahren, sehr zum Schrecken der restlichen Bandmitglieder, Dire Straits aufgelöst hat. 69 Jahre alt ist er inzwischen. Er schreibe heute mehr Songs denn je, und aus dem Tonfall ist die Dankbarkeit herauszuspüren: «Ich sehe keinerlei Anzeichen dafür, dass die Songs am Austrocknen wären. Im Gegenteil, es kommen mehr und mehr.»
Soeben hat er auch noch die Lieder für ein ganzes Musical komponiert. Es handelt sich dabei um eine Bühnenversion von «Local Hero», der feinen schottischen Filmkomödie mit Burt Lancaster, für die Knopfler anfangs der 1980er-Jahre den instrumentalen Soundtrack eingespielt hatte. «Je älter man wird», sagt er, «desto länger wird die Liste von Dingen, die man noch erreichen möchte.» Ein paar Jahre lang waren Dire Straits die populärste Rockband auf der Welt. Ihr Album «Brothers in Arms» verkaufte sich weit über dreissig Millionen Mal. Auf der Spitze des Erfolges warf Knopfler das Handtuch. «Es war mir alles zu laut und zu gross geworden. Es ging nicht mehr um die Musik.» Die Zeiten, wo er das Haus nicht ohne Bodyguards verlassen konnte, sind längst vorbei. Jetzt ist es ihm wieder wohl. Nach der Arbeit im Studio kann er sich unbehelligt in den Pub setzen. Wenn ihn jemand anspricht, ist es mit Respekt: «Die Menschen sind wunderbar», strahlt er.
Der Vater war ein jüdischer Flüchtling
Möglicherweise hat das Bedürfnis nach Alltäglichkeit und Wurzeln den Ursprung in der Familiengeschichte. Knopflers ungarisch-jüdischer Vater, ein Architekt, war 1939 als Flüchtling in Glasgow gelandet und hatte dort eine Lehrerin geheiratet. Seine Entwurzelung mag auch im Sohn Spuren hinterlassen haben: Auch das Rockstar-Dasein kann eine Art Entwurzelung darstellen. Mark war acht Jahre alt, als die Familie nach Newcastle zog. Mit der Stadt ist er noch heute eng verbunden. . «Die Sache mit den Geordies (der liebevolle Spitzname für die Bewohner von Newcastle) ist die: jeder Mensch ist dort willkommen. Jedem wird geholfen.»
Er liebe es, Songs zu schreiben, erklärt Knopfler im Dokumentarfilm «A Life in Songs» (2011): «Ich liebe das Proben, ich liebe die Arbeit im Studio und ich liebe es, auf Tournee zu gehen.» Im kommenden Frühling geht es erneut auf Reisen. Im Mai gastiert er im Zürcher Hallenstadion. Obwohl es so nicht ausgesprochen wird, könnte es Knopflers letzte längere Tournee sein. Er müsse sich irgendwie die Zeit verschaffen, seiner Muse freien Lauf geben zu können, sagt er. «Wenn man eine Wahl treffen muss, fällt zuerst das weg, was am meisten harte Arbeit bereitet. Tourneen, das wird wohl der Baum sein, der zuerst gefällt wird.»
Noch weiss Knopfler nicht alles über die Gitarre
Das fleissige Songschreiben gehe auf Kosten der Gitarre. Man konzentriere sich auf völlig andere Dinge als beim Üben. Am liebsten würde er einen Gitarrenlehrer engagieren: «Einen, der jede Woche zu einer bestimmten Zeit kommt, der keine Ausrede zulässt, sozusagen Pilates-Sessions für die Gitarre.» Weiss er denn nicht längst schon alles, was es über die Gitarre zu wissen gibt? «Nein! Davon bin ich meilenweit entfernt. Was sage ich! Lichtjahre sind es, so gross ist die Entfernung!» «Down the Road Wherever» serviert vierzehn Lieder, allesamt im rootsig angehauchten, eleganten Singer/Songwriter-Stil, den der Saitenvirtuoso seit dem Ende von Dire Straits verfolgt. Man hört diesmal einige Bläser mehr als auch schon und ein bisschen weniger englische Folkeinflüsse. Geblieben sind die quecksilberhaften Gitarrenriffs, die nie ins Showhafte abrutschen, und die samtenen Melodien halbwegs zwischen englischem Folk und Americana. Ja, auch ein Hauch New Orleans ist zu spüren.
Geblieben ist auch die Knopflersche Vorliebe fürs Geschichtenerzählen. Nirgends kommt dies schöner zur Geltung als im Song «Just a Boy Away From Home». Er erzählt die Story von einem jungen Mann in Newcastle und seinem Heimweh nach Liverpool und endet mit Knopflers eigenwilliger Interpretation von «You’ll Never Walk Alone», der Hymne des FC Liverpool.
Hanspeter Künzler

Offlinekudu88

• Guitar George
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2018, 02:19:32 PM »
English translation (Google)

Mark Knopfler wants a guitar teacher

ROCK Mark Knopfler is one of the great guitarists of our time. Since the end of Dire Straits he follows quietly and virtuoso only his musician heart. Also in his new album "Down the Road Wherever".
Surrounded by guitars, Mark Knopfler sits in his studio, exudes peace and talks about his new album "Down the Road Wherever". It's his tenth since he disbanded Dire Straits 23 years ago, much to the horror of the rest of the band. He is now 69 years old. He's writing more songs than ever today, and the gratitude can be felt from the tone: "I see no sign that the songs are dying. On the contrary, more and more are coming. »
He has also just composed the songs for a whole musical. It is a stage version of "Local Hero," the fine Scottish comedy film starring Burt Lancaster, for whom Knopfler recorded the instrumental soundtrack in the early 1980s. "The older you get," he says, "the longer the list of things you want to achieve." For a few years, Dire Straits were the most popular rock band in the world. Her album "Brothers in Arms" sold well over thirty million copies. At the peak of success, Knopfler threw in the towel. "Everything was too loud and too big for me. It was no longer about the music. "The days when he could not leave the house without bodyguards are long gone. Now he is well again. After working in the studio, he can sit down unmolested in the pub. If someone speaks to him, it is with respect: "The people are wonderful," he beams.
The father was a Jewish refugee
Perhaps the need for everydayness and roots has its origin in family history. Knopflers Hungarian-Jewish father, an architect, had landed in Glasgow as a refugee in 1939 and had married a teacher there. His uprooting may also have left its mark on the son: Even the rock star existence can represent a kind of uprooting. Mark was eight years old when the family moved to Newcastle. He is still closely connected with the city today. , "The thing about the Geordies (the fond nickname for Newcastle residents) is that everyone is welcome there. Everyone is helped. »
He loves to write songs, Knopfler explains in the documentary film "A Life in Songs" (2011): "I love rehearsals, I love working in the studio and I love going on tour." Spring is coming again traveling. In May he will perform in the Zurich Hallenstadion. Although it is not said that way, it could be Knopfler's last longer tour. He must somehow get the time to give his muse free rein, he says. "When you have to make a choice, you're the one who does the hardest work first. Touring, that will probably be the tree that is felled first ».
Knopfler does not know everything about the guitar yet
The diligent songwriting goes at the expense of the guitar. Focus on completely different things than practicing. He would like to hire a guitar teacher: "One who comes every week at a certain time, who does not allow an excuse, so to speak Pilates sessions for the guitar." He does not already know everything there is to know about the guitar ? "No! I'm miles away from that. What do I say! It's light years, that's the distance! "" Down the Road Wherever "serves fourteen songs, all in the rootsy-inspired, elegant singer / songwriter style the string virtuoso has been following since the demise of Dire Straits. This time you will hear some more wind instruments as well as a bit less English Folk influences. What remains are the mercurial guitar riffs, which never slip into showmanship, and the velvety melodies halfway between English folk and Americana. Yes, even a touch of New Orleans can be felt.
Also left is the Knopfler predilection for storytelling. Nowhere is this more beautiful than in the song "Just a Boy Away From Home". He tells the story of a young man in Newcastle and his homesickness for Liverpool and ends with Knopflers idiosyncratic interpretation of "You'll Never Walk Alone", the Liverpool anthem.
Hanspeter Künzler

OfflineMarkus

• Camerado
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2018, 10:16:15 PM »
Markus

MK DTRW Tour : Germany - Mannheim - SAP Arena - 2019-Jul-06

Offlinemartako

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2018, 12:11:23 PM »
Here's a quote from the Rolling Stone review by Jonathan Bernstein which I completely disagree:
 "On an album with 14 songs, there’s certainly some filler (see the sleepy “When You Leave”)"

What part of this sentence makes sense?! 14 songs is not that much imo for an experienced songwriter like Mark, and I love the feeling of the song When You Leave, beautiful and one of my favorite slow tracks from the album, along with Slow Learner. I truly do not understand naming any song as "filler" when it comes to Mark Knopfler.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
Here's a quote from the Rolling Stone review by Jonathan Bernstein which I completely disagree:
 "On an album with 14 songs, there’s certainly some filler (see the sleepy “When You Leave”)"

What part of this sentence makes sense?! 14 songs is not that much imo for an experienced songwriter like Mark, and I love the feeling of the song When You Leave, beautiful and one of my favorite slow tracks from the album, along with Slow Learner. I truly do not understand naming any song as "filler" when it comes to Mark Knopfler.

14 Songs?? - 16 on the slightly more expensive deluxe edition.....

OfflineElDonso

• Guitar George
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2018, 11:08:59 PM »
Another Danish review. It seems that the common opinion among the danish reviewers is that Knopfler is boring, but this review none the less ends up at 4 out of 6 stars. I have in serveral occsasions read about the "weak falsetto" in "Nobody's Child", which I in particular love because of that falsetto. I think it is beautifully emotional.

----
Review: Mark Knopfler’s new album is decent and a bit boring
(4 of 6 stars)

Most of Mark Knopfler’s new songs are on the long side of five minutes. It would suit the songs to be at least a minute and a half shorter.

Music: On “Down The Road Wherever”, Mark Knopfler’s ninth solo album, the 69 year old Scot sounds like a mix of Bob Dylan and an ageing Johnny Cash.

The gallery of characters in several of Mark Knopfler’s lyrics could be stolen from a not yet written John Irwing novel: The fur trapper coming in to the nearest Klondike to sell his fur, the gambler preparing his comeback and the ragged child, who far to soon learns to speak with his fists, the knife and the bottom of a broken bottle.

The first single “Good On You Son” reminds you of Dire Straits in the less inspiring years. After a soft dance intro, the song develops into a halfway funky pop being scarred by a four to the floor-rhythm, which luckily is being drowned by a saxophone solo.

Gentle bossa
"Just A Boy Away From Home" is a clattering sump-skiffle with a lot of slide guitar. Underway the song develops into a second line-brass culminating rather humorous into the musical couple Rodgers and Hammestein’s “You Never Walk Alone”, mostly known as Liverpool’s anthem.

The drum-heavy “Trapper Man” borrows musical lines from the Beatles’ “Nowhere Man”. Knopfler has less success with “Heavy Up” which is inspired by Miriam Makebas "Pata Pata”, which I was force fed with in the early seventies in the music lessons in the primary school.

Knopfler moves around in the genres. “Back On The Dancefloor” is a lazy rhumba. “When You Leave” is a jazzy beguine, a small-talking ballad. “Nobody Does That” is one of my favourites; a playful funky song with a well fitted brass section, percussion, Moog and the special Stevie Wonder’ish synth-spinet sound.

On “Floating Way”, the latin rhythms once again dominates, while “Slow Learner” shows Knopfler as a crooner in a soft bossanova, which certainly has its qualities.

A nod to Cash
“Nobody’s Child” is musically an unmistakable nod to Johnny Cash, but Knopfler’s fragile falsetto does nothing good for the overall expression. “My Bacon Roll” is musically uninspired, but the slow shambling ballad is saved by the silly lyrics about the every day with every day on top of it.

On the good-natured “Drover’s Road” the cowboy movie theme melts together with the irish folk and the sound of a funeral procession – decent but boring.

"One Song At A Time" is probably the most redundant song on the album: A hero guitar solo initiates the song which lasts cumbersome six minutes and 17 seconds, because there in the best communist-jazz style needs to be room for interminable solos for almost every participant.

Short and concise
Mark Knopfler has had fun in getting as far into the musical corners as possible, and he deserves credit for that. But as all songs except one last over four minutes, most of them exceeding five minutes, is too bad, as Knopfler in transit runs dry of musical ideas.

At least one and a half minute could easily be cut off of almost every song. The albums’ praiseworthy encore is a proof of that. “Matchstick Man” is a shortie, which in under three minutes shows what it is Mark Knopfler does best when he’s inspired the most: Capture an atmosphere and portray a human destiny shortly and concise.

Source:
https://www.fyens.dk/Danmark-Kultur/Anmeldelse-Mark-Knopflers-nye-album-er-redeligt-og-lidt-kedeligt/artikel/3300422
Long time lurker, life long MK/DS fan. Mark inspired me to pick up the guitar

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 41 queries.