Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: STILL LUCKY WITH GET LUCKY?  (Read 19261 times)

Love Expresso

Re: STILL LUCKY WITH GET LUCKY?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 08:36:42 PM »
It is not so much the "counting-in" that disturbs me but the weak kind of singing in the last few lines - I think Mr. Valentino called it "half-arsed?"
But it is a song in a very pure style if you know what I mean - and that is not usual for MK. He always mixes up different styles of music into one
song, it seems sometimes he thinks it would be too easy to just play a traditional style - boy, how I wish he would record a "traditional" blues album,
or an complete album alone with one or two guitars and a couple of strong songs and nothing more - but it has to be a little bit more complicated...
And I like "YCBTH" because of this simple idea.
But I also understand the feeling of some forumers around here that it does not fit onto the album. And that could be true. But it is a fresh moment in the quieter first half of the record.

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 10:07:35 AM »
Yeah, I think it's a good song, I just don't think it fits on this album.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
It's more of a NHB song in my opinion.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
Yes, Simon, I thought it sounded a bit NHB when I first heard the album.  I can just imagine hearing Steve sing "Yeah" at the end!   :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:16:36 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »
I still continue to hear this wonderfull album.
My favorite tracks are: So Far From the Clyde, The Car Was The One, Border Reveir, Piper To The End, Cleaning My Gun ... but I have no skipper.

Can't wait for the tour! I hope we can have Border Reveir as an opener and Piper To The End at the end of the show.
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 10:06:08 PM »

I also still listen to Get Lucky every day when I drive at work! I have 3 skippers, or better said 3 songs who are not as beautiful as the others, that are Cleaning My Gun, The Car Was The One and Can't Beat The House!

I LOVE, really love the songs Monteleone, Get Lucky, Border Reiver, Before Gas & TV,  :P and I like all the others very much! ROFL

You know what? My husband likes the album very much also and has as favourites Cleaning My Gun and The Car Was The One!  ;D So when we both listen, then there are no skippers!  ;)

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Rollergirl

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »
Still not listening to it on ipod or computer. Only on vinyl. Next time: tonight! Yeah I have a date!

Offlinecannibal

• Local Hero
    • Glasgow Sailors
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »
Unfortunately... i don't like it so much...  :-\
We play Mark Knopfler Tribute

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 05:22:36 PM »
Last time I listened to GL was in November or December, which is not bad compared to what happened to TRD, ATRR, SL or KTGC. Quickly stored on a shelve.  ;)
I only have 5 skippers : Hard shoulder, YCBTH, Monteleone (as usual the one he prefers is the one I can't stand), The car was the one and Piper to the end. 5 : as good as STP or even OES !

Definitely GL deserves a second chance and I will listen again tonight.  :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »
I still love "Get Lucky" and listened to it again this weekend. I don't have a skipper, but YCBTH doesn't fit in imo.  I also listened to RPD again after not listening for a while and realised that it is back to my number 1!  There are no skippers, except for Why Aye Man, which I feel is so much better heard live. :)    
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:41:17 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
I really don't give a sh*t about the songs on the regular album or bonus discs! I'm glad we have 'em all! :lol Imo GL is one of his best albums, it's on the same level (for me) as GH. GL has more different types of songs, GH still feels more like a "complete album" to me. The only thing about GH which I don't like is the crappy (well, you know what I mean! :D ) sound compared to the new recordings. Since Darling Pretty was remastered / mixed / whatever, it sounds much much better.

Love Expresso

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »
I admit that my hifi system probably isn't good enough to really find some differences between the recordings. However I also think that the last three albums really sound phantastic. But a real backlash is to listen to Mark's voice on GH - especially on "ANISLA".

My all time favourite MK solo albums are and will probably always be STP and RPD... Love them! But GL is very close behind them! :lol

LE

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 02:39:20 AM »
For the first time in my life, there's an MK album that I don't like that much. Namely Get Lucky. It's just not my kind of music. Fine tunes, all right, but a bit boring arrangement wise. Exception is the title track, which is up there with the best. And maybe The Car Was The One and Monteleone, but the rest are too grown-up-pop for me. Looking forward to hearing GL songs on the tour, thought!

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 04:34:26 AM »
I still listen to Get Lucky in the same way I listened to Shangri-La many times. While for Kill To Get Crimson, I played it a few times and that was it. It didn't stick. What I love most about this album though is the excellent clean bass response. It's just so well recorded- can't quite explain it. From a technical standpoint, it's probably the best album I've heard.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 01:50:20 AM »
In my humble opinion, is the best cd MK has recorded since he became solo, the most complete one, I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 45 queries.