Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 89043 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »
Has the title song from the Legacy album been taken up here already?

The lyrics, written by Phil Palmer, are quite obviously a counter-attack to Mark's Terminal of Tribute to. Of course no one will ever be able to prove that the song is about Mark – just like no one can prove that the long- and grey-haired guitarist in Tribute to is Phil Palmer - but that doesn't make it any less obvious. In Palmer's situation, given Mark's previous song, you simply wouldn't write and publish something like 3 Chord Trick if you wouldn't want it to be understood this way.

The funny thing about the affair is that Mark's song - unsurprisingly - is SO (like: S.O.!) much better than Phil's. It's in a totally different league both musically and lyrically. A fact, in turn, that is testament to what Mark wrote, and that is making Palmer look even more ridiculous.

Good fun, isn't it?  :lol

Love Expresso

Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
Good mooooooorning!

:lol

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »
 I always thought that Terminal of tribute is about Alan Clark  :hmm
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
Has the title song from the Legacy album been taken up here already?

The lyrics, written by Phil Palmer, are quite obviously a counter-attack to Mark's Terminal of Tribute to. Of course no one will ever be able to prove that the song is about Mark – just like no one can prove that the long- and grey-haired guitarist in Tribute to is Phil Palmer - but that doesn't make it any less obvious. In Palmer's situation, given Mark's previous song, you simply wouldn't write and publish something like 3 Chord Trick if you wouldn't want it to be understood this way.

The funny thing about the affair is that Mark's song - unsurprisingly - is SO (like: S.O.!) much better than Phil's. It's in a totally different league both musically and lyrically. A fact, in turn, that is testament to what Mark wrote, and that is making Palmer look even more ridiculous.

Good fun, isn't it?  :lol

https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=5844.msg117845#msg117845

:)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
Good mooooooorning!

LE

Oh, I'm sorry! Please feel free to delete this thread; you've obviously discussed it at length before (well hidden, though), and I didn't notice.

Reading the other thread, though, I stumbled upon something you said, LE: "I agree however that MK surely never looked very friendly and nice but always strange, egomanic and arrogant. It must be hard to really have a good relationship with him. He lacks many emotions not only in his lyrics but it seems also in his working life. Show me one song that touches and breaks your heart and is not ironic, full of sarcasm or wrapped into a lot of artistic layers...  I guess that's the price for being brilliant and a genious!"

While I otherwise tend to agree with you, I find this a little strange. Do I know MK songs that touch my heart and are not ironic?! Well, dozens of them! He brings me to tears all the time, especially with his solo material. Follow the Ribbon, True Love Will Never Fade, Silver Eagle, LIghts of Taormina, The Fish & The Bird, Je Suis Désolé, Old Pigweed, Fare thee well, Northumberland, 5:15 AM ... you name them! There's no artist who touches me more emotionally than MK. Whoever claims he's an asshole will have his reasons, but Mark might have had his reasons, too ... I don't buy it.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:01:57 PM »
Good mooooooorning!

LE

Do I know MK songs that touch my heart and are not ironic?! Well, dozens of them! He brings me to tears all the time, especially with his solo material. Follow the Ribbon, True Love Will Never Fade, Silver Eagle, LIghts of Taormina, The Fish & The Bird, Je Suis Désolé, Old Pigweed, Fare thee well, Northumberland, 5:15 AM ... you name them! There's no artist who touches me more emotionally than MK. Whoever claims he's an asshole will have his reasons, but Mark might have had his reasons, too ... I don't buy it.

May I add, Piper to the End, The Long Highway, So Far From the Clyde, Heart Full of Holes...... in fact the list goes on and on!    When I'm away from home or feel a bit low, MK's songs are always with me - they give me that warm, comforting feeling that no other artist can.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »
They are all good... in an artistic, intellectual, lyrical way... do they touch ME emotionally? No. That was what I was trying to say. Always hidden, always ambivalent, always several meanings, true inspiration always disguised... apart from LAJADAS and Basil maybe.. and Darling Pretty.

From Sultans on, he prefers the journalistic distance and the role of an absent observer. Nothing wrong with that! Love how excellent he does it, not many are able to do so. But in a very British way maybe, he often seems cold to me. No offence in it, just my opinion.

Until today I have no idea what  many songs REALLY  try to tell me... from It Never Rains to So Far From The Clyde or In The Sky or Dream Of the Drowned Submariner to Blood and Water to... to... to...

A little more direct approach, less artistic one would be less frustrating for me in getting the meaning of many of his work...

Listened to These Are The Days Of Our Lives from Queen the other day. And complete Tempest from Bob.  To illustrate what I mean.

(Oh and I never called him an asshole.)

LE
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:21:56 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
I received their cd today and I have to say that I like it. The songs are really well arranged and some of them quite nice, specially the ones written by Alan Clark.

The only negative point is the voices. Marco, Phil and Alan don't sing well but there are two songs sung by Jamie Squire that are very well sung!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 06:22:31 PM »
I received their cd today and I have to say that I like it. The songs are really well arranged and some of them quite nice, specially the ones written by Alan Clark.

The only negative point is the voices. Marco, Phil and Alan don't sing well but there are two songs sung by Jamie Squire that are very well sung!

Could you share the credits from all songs(writers and personnel)?

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »

...a little more direct approach, less artistic one would be less frustrating for me in getting the meaning of many of his work...
I know what you mean. On the other side what have you got left from it having it bare an naked?
We wear clothes in same purpose I believe or suppose we should not? Seems to be more interesting (and maybe also save some of us from trouble here and there lol)
I would use the same parallel here, you know, when it comes to songs or anything else...
 ;)
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Love Expresso

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:06:34 PM »
Interesting idea..  :thumbsup

I may repeat that I do not doubt or judge the quality of his songs. I only try to say that he never had a lot of emotional approach to me. I thought about it again, the song Get Lucky made me pretty emotional, and 5:15 indeed is another one. But generally spoken he is more an architect instead of a poet.. funny that the line from In The Sky about the poet's dreams roast was the perfect hint for me that he was not speaking about himself...

LE

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 06:48:51 AM »
I've spent two days with this album and I went in wanting to hate it. Sorry folks, its a brilliant album. Magdalene alone was worth the £13 of my money. Still dont agree with them trying to tour as Dire Straits, and I dont like Marcos voice. Its full of beautiful arrangements and melody.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »
I've spent two days with this album and I went in wanting to hate it. Sorry folks, its a brilliant album. Magdalene alone was worth the £13 of my money. Still dont agree with them trying to tour as Dire Straits, and I dont like Marcos voice. Its full of beautiful arrangements and melody.

I like how this song starts with a Telegraph Road quote right away like the piano solo section. No doubts Alan is a talented guy. No hating was meant to be made, it's just the whole situation dictates the hating... I wish they'd release this album before all this tribute thing and we wouldn't get this awful Terminal Of Tribute To song (sorry Mark) and all this hate towards a good (?) album.

Love Expresso

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
I like that you don't like Terminal Of Tribute To. I hate it, too!

LE

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
(Oh and I never called him an asshole.)

LE

I know, of course. Maybe some former band members do, though, in secret. What I was trying to say is that he may have acted like one occasionally (most of us do), but that overreacting about some stolen sausages hardly equals the shameless exploitation of Dire Straits' fame by Palmer, Clark etc. I'm pretty confident that I would like Mark as a person if I were to meet him. I'm not so sure about the Legacy guys.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 46 queries.