Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark! Please play "Brothers in arms" every night!  (Read 9028 times)

OfflineRoario

• Guitar George
Re: Mark! Please play "Brothers in arms" every night!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 08:08:50 PM »
Unfortunately for you BIA was played yesterday in Norway. The chances are probably not that grand for tonights show.

Unfortunately you were right about that. Speedway at Nazareth and Telegraph Road created an epic atmosphere, but unfortunately the encore was an anticlimax. Piper to the end is a nice tune, but there are hundreds, mayby thousands of songs more beautiful than that. In my opinion there are no songs more beautiful than "Brothers in arms". Mark Knopfler is a great guitar player, a great songwriter. Giving the audience what the audience want, is in my opinion one thing that makes you a great live artist as well. Why settle for a draw, when you can win?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »
Unfortunately for you BIA was played yesterday in Norway. The chances are probably not that grand for tonights show.

Unfortunately you were right about that. Speedway at Nazareth and Telegraph Road created an epic atmosphere, but unfortunately the encore was an anticlimax. Piper to the end is a nice tune, but there are hundreds, mayby thousands of songs more beautiful than that. In my opinion there are no songs more beautiful than "Brothers in arms". Mark Knopfler is a great guitar player, a great songwriter. Giving the audience what the audience want, is in my opinion one thing that makes you a great live artist as well. Why settle for a draw, when you can win?

Very well said. :clap

He's still great live though and you can't have him playing all the oldies but I get your point;  Sultans, BIA etc. would leave the audience satisfied.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:22:56 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
No idea if I'm alone with my opinion here but I am more than glad he doesn't play BIA every night anymore. As much as I love it, for me, it has lost its magic touch because it has been played to death. Just MHO.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 11:35:39 PM »
No idea if I'm alone with my opinion here but I am more than glad he doesn't play BIA every night anymore. As much as I love it, for me, it has lost its magic touch because it has been played to death. Just MHO.

Personally, I preferred the BIA tour versions but that isn't the point.  We have been to many MK concerts and listened to bootlegs and/or many more of his concerts and have heard the song a zillion times but for the casual fan or concert goer it's a song they want to hear, along with Sultans, MFN and yes, even WOL (not Water of Love)!  If they don't hear any of these then it'll be disappointing for them no matter how great Mark performs his other songs.  I think it's quite sad that he has discarded all these songs for most concerts. :'(

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 11:59:37 PM »
I keep saying that DS doesn't exist anymore. If you want to hear only DS songs you have to go to the Straits. The people I took with me to the concerts only knew DS songs but were extremely happy with the concert and all bought the stick to hear it again. So I don't think most people will be disappointed.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »
I keep saying that DS doesn't exist anymore. If you want to hear only DS songs you have to go to the Straits. The people I took with me to the concerts only knew DS songs but were extremely happy with the concert and all bought the stick to hear it again. So I don't think most people will be disappointed.

Mark Knopfler doesn't play for The Straits so why would I want to go and see them when the real deal is touring? :hmm

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »

Well said - that echoes my sentiment too. It would not hurt him to please everyone 100% by playing just a couple of the songs previously stated. Surely it would not upset the fans that prefer not to hear BIA or SOS?  And yes - give the audience what they want that is what entertainment is all about.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 05:59:53 AM »

Personally, I preferred the BIA tour versions but that isn't the point.  We have been to many MK concerts and listened to bootlegs and/or many more of his concerts and have heard the song a zillion times but for the casual fan or concert goer it's a song they want to hear, along with Sultans, MFN and yes, even WOL (not Water of Love)!  If they don't hear any of these then it'll be disappointing for them no matter how great Mark performs his other songs.  I think it's quite sad that he has discarded all these songs for most concerts. :'(

I have to agree with dmg and simon again about Mark ditching some epic DS songs.  Just imagine how the audience will react to MFN ???????

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 39 queries.