Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Notting Hillbillies  (Read 2525 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: Notting Hillbillies
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2023, 07:27:49 PM »
"But NHB was a cover band so, those songs has migrated to the OES album"

Yes ! That's why the only original song Your Own Sweet Way should be on the album on every street :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 07:32:21 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023, 08:18:51 PM »
"But NHB was a cover band so, those songs has migrated to the OES album"

Yes ! That's why the only original song Your Own Sweet Way should be on the album on every street :)

I Agree and disagree.  :)

Maybe the NHB album wasn't to be a cover album.
The budget maybe was short and the label (or MK) chosen one MKs original song and the rest was cover songs.

An MK song always worth. :lol

We will never know.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 08:29:56 PM »
I read somewhere that Mark had little time so they chose covers.
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023, 08:30:20 PM »
I always wanted Your Own Sweet Way to be on every street. For example, next to Fade To Black. :)

ha ah, exactly the contrary for me : I always thought that several tracks on OES (including fade to black, ticket to heaven, iron hand and How long) would have far better fit on the NHB album in term of musical atmopshere

I do agree, these songs would have fit on the NHB album very well.
But OES is one of my favourite DS album because of these great song incl. When it comes to you.  The final DS album has shown us exactly where his path is leading him. To a more folkish/country flavoured solo career.
As much as i still love the DS sound, above all the first 3 albums, to me his solo work is his best time. But I'm pretty sure there are many who would disagree.  ;)
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 08:38:54 PM »
I always wanted Your Own Sweet Way to be on every street. For example, next to Fade To Black. :)

ha ah, exactly the contrary for me : I always thought that several tracks on OES (including fade to black, ticket to heaven, iron hand and How long) would have far better fit on the NHB album in term of musical atmopshere

I do agree, these songs would have fit on the NHB album very well.
But OES is one of my favourite DS album because of these great song incl. When it comes to you.  The final DS album has shown us exactly where his path is leading him. To a more folkish/country flavoured solo career.
As much as i still love the DS sound, above all the first 3 albums, to me his solo work is his best time. But I'm pretty sure there are many who would disagree.  ;)

But I agree  :)
Clear as the day

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 09:23:49 AM »
"your own sweet way" is no the only original song on the NHB album

"will you mis me" is by Steve and "that's where I belong" is by Brendan, so not entirely a "cover" album

OfflineSkinny Kid

• Guitar George
  • Goodness me, could this be ...
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2023, 04:06:38 AM »
"the only original song Your Own Sweet Way should be on the album on every street"

Well, isn't it like saying Next time I'm in town should be on it, too ?  ;-)

I don't think any song should or should not be on any particular album as long as it's at least released once. I'm happy to have all those different versions that belong to the times and places they were played at.

When it comes to you is the perfect example :

In 1990, we have the filmed rehearsal version which has an amazing and quite unique atmosphere; and we have the live versions, which are incredible, too. Then, there's the OES take and the rare concert versions. Different details and arrangements for a different atmosphere. All those sound DS whereas in 1990, they sounded NHB. And I love each and every one of them !

And, by the way, the Hillbillies did play Ticket to Heaven and How Long in 1993 along with Portobello Belle and so many others. Those were the times !

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2023, 07:43:28 AM »

And, by the way, the Hillbillies did play Ticket to Heaven and How Long in 1993 along with Portobello Belle and so many others. Those were the times !

I was there at the concert in Leeds!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2023, 08:45:51 AM »

I was there at the concert in Leeds!   :)

Lucky you!  :)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
"the only original song Your Own Sweet Way should be on the album on every street"

Well, isn't it like saying Next time I'm in town should be on it, too ?  ;-)

I don't think any song should or should not be on any particular album as long as it's at least released once. I'm happy to have all those different versions that belong to the times and places they were played at.

When it comes to you is the perfect example :

In 1990, we have the filmed rehearsal version which has an amazing and quite unique atmosphere; and we have the live versions, which are incredible, too. Then, there's the OES take and the rare concert versions. Different details and arrangements for a different atmosphere. All those sound DS whereas in 1990, they sounded NHB. And I love each and every one of them !

If the song Your Own Sweet Way was on the album on every street more people would know it. Missing... album is not as popular as the album on every street. That's what I was thinking when I wrote my post :)
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.