Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Jack Sonni passed away  (Read 11215 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Jack Sonni passed away
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2023, 05:03:21 PM »
I believe it was Ed who coined the term Dullards and he obviously has a chip on his shoulder as someone who was dumped when MK moved on from the headband. Ed is another who has done nothing of note without MK by the way.

Personally I find it childish when I see these nicknames. There’s plenty of people I don’t care for but I try not to use nicknames for them. People calling Bob Dylan Krusty is another example.
i am a huge BD fan, and i for one do not care one bit about the krusty nick and use it myself. BUT i get your point in general
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2023, 05:07:37 PM »
I believe it was Ed who coined the term Dullards and he obviously has a chip on his shoulder as someone who was dumped when MK moved on from the headband. Ed is another who has done nothing of note without MK by the way.

Personally I find it childish when I see these nicknames. There’s plenty of people I don’t care for but I try not to use nicknames for them. People calling Bob Dylan Krusty is another example.
i am a huge BD fan, and i for one do not care one bit about the krusty nick and use it myself. BUT i get your point in general

I don't get angry about it or anything, I just find it childish, and for me it says more about the person using the terms than those they are directed at. It's not a forum thing, I take this view in general, when people give politicians etc nicknames as well. Just not my thing.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2023, 05:14:36 PM »
This thread has now descended into a free for all to insult MK and throw as much mud as possible in his direction!  The final insult from a couple of "fans" on this forum is to call Mark's fantastic, talented band "The Dullards" !  Yes, I know that this title originally came from the mouth of Ed Bicknell - it wasn't funny or witty then and it isn't now - it is just repugnant!
even though the level has drifted at times, i do not think it was ever really repugnant Val?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2023, 05:15:07 PM »
by the way, i created a new member group
Go to Jack's post and you will notice...
RIP Jacky

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2023, 05:18:52 PM »
This thread has now descended into a free for all to insult MK and throw as much mud as possible in his direction!  The final insult from a couple of "fans" on this forum is to call Mark's fantastic, talented band "The Dullards" !  Yes, I know that this title originally came from the mouth of Ed Bicknell - it wasn't funny or witty then and it isn't now - it is just repugnant!
even though the level has drifted at times, i do not think it was ever really repugnant Val?

Yes, it was probably a bit over the top!   :)

There is another point of view, however, and that is that Ed Bicknell actually thought the band were the opposite of being dullards and he wasn't being offensive at all.  I'm thinking of bands such as "The Stranglers" and "The Animals" -  neither of them were actually stranglers or animals!     So, dmg, I think I may have got it in the end even though I still dislike the nickname "The Dullards".
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 08:38:07 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2023, 06:09:52 AM »
https://youtu.be/R4e5gKtBRqk?si=q-_o7LWS31v0bTyB

Really cool interview with Jack. :wave
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2023, 05:13:55 PM »

There is another point of view, however, and that is that Ed Bicknell actually thought the band were the opposite of being dullards and he wasn't being offensive at all.  I'm thinking of bands such as "The Stranglers" and "The Animals" -  neither of them were actually stranglers or animals!     So, dmg, I think I may have got it in the end even though I still dislike the nickname "The Dullards".

That's okay Val.  You're perfectly allowed to dislike it as much as I'm allowed to find it funny.  Let's just agree to have a different view on this my old sparring partner!   :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2023, 06:02:55 PM »

That's okay Val.  You're perfectly allowed to dislike it as much as I'm allowed to find it funny.  Let's just agree to have a different view on this my old sparring partner!   :)

:lol    :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 36 queries.