Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: NON MK/DS tracks played at MK/DS concerts...  (Read 13497 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: NON MK/DS tracks played at MK/DS concerts...
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 11:26:14 PM »
where, in every live performance??
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 12:45:11 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if all those hidden tunes are really intentional or, as it was said before, are a matter of coincidence. I agree with TOL that it was full of musical references and MK intentionally played those licks from 60' but it is quite natural that different themes appear here and there during improvisations in live versions. We have to keep in mind that many licks will sound familiar or similar to something else but I doubt MK intends to play them as a reference to a particular song or theme. A lot of times it is subconcious and unintentional.

BTW, did you notice that live intro to Romeo And Juliet is the same "Stop In The Name Of Love" theme? Intentional or coincidence?
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »
where, in every live performance??
Yes.  During the playout, after the lyrics.  I watched the Madrid '09 showcase last night and it was played there too. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if all those hidden tunes are really intentional or, as it was said before, are a matter of coincidence. I agree with TOL that it was full of musical references and MK intentionally played those licks from 60' but it is quite natural that different themes appear here and there during improvisations in live versions. We have to keep in mind that many licks will sound familiar or similar to something else but I doubt MK intends to play them as a reference to a particular song or theme. A lot of times it is subconcious and unintentional.

BTW, did you notice that live intro to Romeo And Juliet is the same "Stop In The Name Of Love" theme? Intentional or coincidence?

Well, I'll disagree, I think it's intentional.

Thought of some others, Blaydon Races in Why Aye Man in 08 and of course Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond in What It Is.

Or maybe that was just a coincidence too? ;)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 03:07:37 PM »
Bonnie Banks of Loch Lommond was intentional for sure because MK even was making direct references to Scotland when he introduced the song in concerts. Not sure about Blaydon Races - I can't hear it there but it's a Geordie anthem so you may be right ;).

But why on earth would he stick "Girl, you'll be a woman soon" into Why Aye Man?  Coincidence ;).
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
But why on earth would he stick "Girl, you'll be a woman soon" into Why Aye Man?  Coincidence ;).

Blaydon Races was absolutely clear as day in Edinburgh and Newcastle if memory serves (at the start of the song).

I didn't spot Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon, but it could be a nod to Richard Bennett's former long-time employer Neil Diamond.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 04:04:25 PM »

You can hear Blaydon Races on this one, again crystal clear as it doesn't really fit in with the song at all. :)

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »
Yeah, point taken, dusty :)
I still think we often try to hear too much. (re: "Girl, you'll be a woman soon" etc.) It's almost like saying that the bridge part of Brothers In Arms is a reference to "Bird Of Paradise" Is it? I think not. Again, coincidence ;).

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »
Yeah, point taken, dusty :)
I still think we often try to hear too much. (re: "Girl, you'll be a woman soon" etc.) It's almost like saying that the bridge part of Brothers In Arms is a reference to "Bird Of Paradise" Is it? I think not. Again, coincidence ;).

Ha ha, yes, I think Snowy White's publishers might have something to say about that one. :)

But some of them are so clear as to be unavoidable, Day Tripper on Industrial Disease for example.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 07:41:46 PM »
"Stop in the Name of Love" was f.e. played at Wembley Arena in 1985, June 10th. Go to 2:15 and from there on you will hear it. But better listen to it completely! ;)

LE

I can't believe how obvious this is now that you mention it! Never noticed it before. I guess MK was trying to recreate the "scene" of the fairgrounds.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 11:26:47 PM »

Blaydon Races was absolutely clear as day in Edinburgh and Newcastle if memory serves (at the start of the song).

I didn't spot Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon, but it could be a nod to Richard Bennett's former long-time employer Neil Diamond.
i always noticed that part but never knew it was from another song, let alone that it was called "Blaydon Races"
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:35 AM »
"Stop in the Name of Love" was f.e. played at Wembley Arena in 1985, June 10th. Go to 2:15 and from there on you will hear it. But better listen to it completely! ;)

LE

I can't believe how obvious this is now that you mention it! Never noticed it before. I guess MK was trying to recreate the "scene" of the fairgrounds.

I got the feeling that MK was just having a few minutes reminiscing the good old days. After all the Carousel Waltz was meant to recreate the fairground setting - I would doubt that he would pre-empt that. But that is my opinion only.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2010, 12:42:53 AM »

i always noticed that part but never knew it was from another song, let alone that it was called "Blaydon Races"

Pottel - a lot of the performers who appear at the Newcastle City Hall seem to try and fit the Blaydon Races tune somewhere into their act - it generally has the effect of winning the audience over and gets them roused. I am sure they play local tunes in most music halls throughout the world too. Though i might just add that for your information:-)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2010, 10:24:29 AM »
Aye, Blaydon Races is a very well known Geordie song. A very dear friend on mine who was Geordie died recently and at a memorial concert for him we all sang Blaydon races at teh end. Wonderful. :)

Can somebody post a link to MK playing Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon?

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »
It seems that MK was a Barack Obama fan way back when as well & he even mentions him in Wild West End at 2.00 :P :P :P

Well he could have with a bit of poetic licence ::) ::) :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 38 queries.