Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: bad moments onstage  (Read 20748 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
bad moments onstage
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:58:18 AM »
listening to Sultans in Milan 2008.04.15 last night i was surprised to hear how much mark messed up the build up to the finale.
as in REALLY BAD: but then he pulls his "twiddly bits" show and you can hear the crowd go wild, as if nothing happened.
what other bad moments on stage do you remember??
(cologne 2005 with mark swearing at the moron security guy(s) is a good example also.)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineguswallace

• Guitar George
Re: bad moments onstage
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:55:15 AM »
Listen to Toronto 2001: SOS's final solo is also bad. You can see that Mark smile all along the solo and have fun with Glenn and Richard. It happens to the best

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
SOS Chicago 2001 - truly terrible!    :o   It is amply made up for, though, with lots of amazing stuff, such as TR from the same concert!   :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:43:09 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinecannibal

• Local Hero
    • Glasgow Sailors
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45:58 AM »
I remember Song For Sonny Liston with Emmylou, in Paris Bercy, look at that, I think that MK didn't feel very well during this gig, maybe ill, don't know really.

He starts on a wrong shape, and on 00:12 he looks the position of his hand on the neck, and slides down on the correct shape.

Incredible  :o
We play Mark Knopfler Tribute

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »
In Sheffield 96 he plays a horrendous wrong note on Feels Like Going Home. (from memory, can still remember discussing it on the old T-Road at the time, we were shocked that MK could make a mistake)

In New York 05 MK played a bad wrong note on Our Shangri La, I remember wincing at the time, but to be fair to them they STILL released it as a Crowfly bonus track.

Seem to recall Solid Rock was a bit ropey at Knebworth?

There's an interview with MK's former guitar tech Ron Eve in The Guitar Magazine from 1992 where he recounts a tale of giving MK his Pensa on teh OES tour only to discover when he started playing it that one of the strings went way out of tune. Obviousy being the OES tour (Sauseges for Nothing etc) MK went ballisitc. I've ofetn wondered if there is a bootleg of this moment out there.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »
During the Hamburg 2001 show, they had some sound problems during the very first minutes of "Calling Elvis", and I remember there were some "special backstage pass winner guests" standing in the background of the stage, young people, and suddenly MK sent them away very gruff and looked really furious - and then a guy from the crew went to Guy's place and got some detailed instructions from Guy - always looking at MK - at least that was what I thought I interpreted then. Guy was looking into the audience all the time during the first two songs, and I think it was a very tense moment for him. Somehow the whole show was spoilt for me because MK's behaviour in those first minutes. And over and above, they skipped two songs from the earlier setlists, STP and PW, and so it was the shortest setlist of the whole tour. I was really down the next day I must admit. A few days earlier I had seen them in Munich and that show was absolutely awesome - with a thunderstorm outside the Olympiahalle during Telegraph Road (!). Very big difference.

But when I listen to the recording of that Hamburg show, I am astonished how great the part from "Junkie Doll" until "So Far Away" really is from that night - I think I was not in the right condition to enjoy it back then. Oh, and I remember a totally drunk guy, who suddenly turned up in the middle of the show from the back and decided to stand right in front of me - and he was snubbed by me and I thought, wow, at least it isn

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
SOS Chicago 2001 - truly terrible!    :o   It is amply made up for, though, with lots of amazing stuff, such as TR from the same concert!   :)

Yes, the SOS of this night is the worst thing I ever heard of MK. But I have the feeling that there was rarely one good Sultans on that whole tour -
I have some recordings, not too much, but nearly a dozen or so, and in every version there is at least one big mistake. Or the tempo in the beginning is wrong, or the final is messed up, or the middle part is messed up etc. And I think it was not Chad's fault, because Chad's drumming for me was the best
thing on the whole tour. And Geraint's playing was the worst from all MK bands ever...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »
Worst moment for me was on the radio in Belgium, Sessions in Flanders for the promo for Shangri-La when he completely forgot the lyrics for Everybody Pays and Guy helped him out!  Anyone can get the lyrics mixed up but he just stopped singing completely  :-X and it sounded really bad.

I know MK made some mistakes during SOS during the StP tour but in my opinion that was only because he was stretching himself;  some of the best versions ever come from that tour:

Amsterdam 17.06.01
London 05.06.01
Lucca 07.07.01
Lyon 27.06.01
Manchester 19.07.01
Oslo 26.07.01
San Francisco 18.05.01 
Zurich 05.07.01
Sa
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »
I remember Song For Sonny Liston with Emmylou, in Paris Bercy, look at that, I think that MK didn't feel very well during this gig, maybe ill, don't know really.

He starts on a wrong shape, and on 00:12 he looks the position of his hand on the neck, and slides down on the correct shape.

The ambiant temperature on the venue was terrible.
They had to install fan on the stage (Guy was talking of 100
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Offlinecannibal

• Local Hero
    • Glasgow Sailors
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

The ambiant temperature on the venue was terrible.
They had to install fan on the stage (Guy was talking of 100
We play Mark Knopfler Tribute

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »
Although MK is very modest these days and appears embarrassed when called the world's best guitarist, I think, in his heart, he really wants us to believe that it's true.   That is why, imo, he doesn't want recordings of his concerts made to spoil this illusion and have mistakes recorded for posterity.   It is much better, in his mind, that we attend the concerts and enjoy what we hear "live" and as a one-off, because amidst the excitement and euphoria, mistakes aren't noticed and cannot be listened to again, over and over!  We, the fans would go home delighted with another amazing performance ringing in our ears!  I really think that MK is also very nervous and uncomfortable with "official" recordings and that is why we have so few. For myself, I love the recordings, especially bootlegs - warts and all!  

Having said that, he is still the most exciting guitarist I have heard and he has me literally on the edge of my seat!  No-one comes close to him for me.   :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:14:03 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »
Since 2001 I don
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:02:15 PM »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
Like everyone else he's always made mistakes but his playing is getting a little less accurate as he get older as is only natural.  However, due to his style of playing and the fact he hardly uses any effects/distortion (like most other guitarists do) every minor error is exaggerated so I don't think the "situation" is quite as bad as we are making it out to be.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 42 queries.