Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #24:2010.05.05, Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank, NJ - Spoiler maybe  (Read 5138 times)

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
Rolling on...
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
No change in the setlist
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
Is the big screen still in use? Can't see any cameras on Marks guitars...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
BIA: poor picture quality, but listenable sound: 

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
Nice photos by grogley from this show:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/grogley/sets/72157623879683505/

Wishes
Allen

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
very nice pictures, thanks allen for the link.

Offlinepyroman

• Guitar George

Offlinerygman

• Guitar George
Thanks to the MarkKnopfler.com pre-sale ticket offers we were able to watch MK and his band from the third row center in Red Bank last night. These were the best seats I've had yet for an MK show and it was a real treat! We had never been to the Count Basie Theater before but it was easy to find and parking was available on the street a half block from the show, hard to believe but true.

Paul Crockford introduced Pieta Brown as the opener, she was entertaining but I really think Bo Ramsey brought most of the interest to her songs with his nice guitar work. Still a warmup act tho and not really what we were here for. I think she played about a half hour and after a short intermission Paul Crockford reappeared and presented an appeal for discretion with the use of cell phones, cameras, etc. It was a much more relaxed reminder than the 2008 tour. Out came MK and the boys--Danny was again helping MK get to his seat onstage.

They started with Border Reiver and in fine form, altho the first couple of songs sounded quite muddy to me, which was disappointing after reading about all the performances with perfect sound. During STP the mix seemed to improve greatly and stayed that way until the encore, when things got a little muddy again. I did not write the setlist down but I think it was this one:

1. Border Reiver
2. What it Is
3. Sailing To Philadelphia
4. Coyote
5. Prairie Wedding
6. Hill Farmers Blues
7. Romeo & Juliet
8. Sultans of Swing
9. Donegan's Gone
10. Get Lucky
11. Marbletown
12. Speedway at Nazareth
13. Telegraph Road
14. Brothers in Arms
15. So Far Away
16. Piper to the End

Hmmmm, that's only 16 songs so I might be missing one but I'm sorry to admit I can't think of what it could be. 

Anyway, MK remained seated for the entire show, yet he was very animated on his chair/barstool. He was moving both of his legs quite a bit and and turning from side to side on the stool while directing the band. I think he must be feeling a little better based on a what I've read about his pinched nerve. Still, I thought I saw pain in his eyes from time to time, couldn't help but notice from such a short distance. He fought thru that tho (if he really was feeling pain) and played, jammed, noodeled, whatever you want to call it--he put on a helluva show! I've never seen him solo so extensively and with such feeling. I hesitate to call his injury good for anyone, but to the extent that he's allowing his pain to come out via his playing the fans are benefiting. Really amazing to hear this and he is definitely enjoying letting it out--almost like he's determined to put on an even better show in spite of his pinched nerve. And he did! Yes, the band is better than ever and that's quite a compliment considering the excellent musicianship we have always  had the pleasure of hearing.

I have to admit I really enjoyed the revised version of Donegan's Gone, amazing how MK can take old songs like this and reinvent them live. Still won't be on my best-of mixes tho  :lol  I found myself liking this guy more than ever, I don't know why but just knowing the pain he's in and the effort he's making in spite of all that touched me. I really don't know what more to say since so much is said about MK nowadays there doesn't seem to be a need for additional glowing reviews. HFB was incredible and is now up there with STN as concert mainstays (I hope). Marbletown was incredible too but I thought the 2008 version might have been just a little bit better, perhaps because it was new to the show then. Coyote is a blast, who thought? Not me, obviously...

I could do without some of the older songs but I have to admit (again) they really get the audience going and MK knows what his audience wants better than me (I don't like admitting that, would rather just get my selfish song choice but what the heck....)

If you ever wished MK would kick out the jams and lay down the incredible guitar licks you know he's capable of, song after song, then this is the tour for you! Thank you MK, thank you MK's Beautiful Band (Pieta Brown's words, not mine), thank you MK's management for the incredible tickets you grace us fans with. You are ALL a class act, can't thank you enough for all the enjoyment and entertainment you have provided us with for so many years, and hopefully for many, many more!! Thanks!!

KEEP KNOPFLERIN'   ;)

Love Expresso

Thanks Rygman for this very good review! There are already some reviews indeed, but this one is in the way I like it! Now I am looking forward to my two shows even more thrilled!  :D

LE

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
Brothers in Arms:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KelWPnxW8xY

And BIA from another angle:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_u5ibvPBk

HFB: 

Wishes
Allen

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 41 queries.