Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Where to meet eachother in Newcastle  (Read 3961 times)

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
Where to meet eachother in Newcastle
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »
Dear all,
I will fly to Newcastle saturdaymorning (if the ash-hole, as Isaac named it, will calm down a little or winds will change). Not a lot forumers are going to Newcastle as far as I see in Who is going where. But the ones who are going I really would like to meet for a pre-(and after ;)) show drink and/or dinner.
Does anyone know what's a nice place to meet in Newcastle?
And ... who wants to meet before the show?
Best regards, Ingrid

Offlineniiiice1

• Guitar George
Re: Where to meet eachother in Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:38:29 PM »
Hi! If you're flying in Saturday morning-time, get an all-day ticket for the metro to Monument (the centre of Newcastle) - WAY cheaper than a taxi - or to Central Station (the nearest stop for the Metro Radio Arena and the Quayside). If you want to have a walk down by the river, got to Central Station and take about a 10 minute walk. There are some really nice places to eat/drink down there, just as there are in thecentre of the city - a little expensive for North East England, but I'd say still cheaper than a lot of places in Europe and the south of England.

If you want some more info, just ask. I live two miles away from the centre of Newcastle.

Enjoy your time here... and let's hope the concert is a good one. I wonder if he'll play Going Home here (it is his home town of course, and it is also the song/anthem played by the local football team, Newcastle Utd)?

Many regards,

Steve (niiiice1)

PS Most of the people here talk with a "Geordie" accent - so I hope you are ok with that (!) - but the people in the North are very very friendly, so they'll only be happy to help you out  ;D

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:39:45 AM »
Hi Niiice, thanks for the info. Is it possible to meet pre-show? Would be nice to have a drink and chat! I don't have a problem with the Geordie-accent, I have friends in Kent who used to live (long time ago) in Newcastle, so I am pretty used to it.
What is a nice pub to go to pre-show? And after the show, are there pubs open till late?

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:36:08 PM »
Hi Ingrid,you should try to get to my pub as youre there :disbelief The Waterline which is next to one of the travel lodges for a bit of nostalgia - Castle Keep is not too far away either,I did a bit of a tour when I was there in 08.The city hall is very central as well,I know he's not playing there but its nice to say that you saw it anyway.Of course if youre into the football,St James Park in practically in the city as well so you could fill in a few hours around the sights very easily. I was there in 08 & thought we'll I probably wont be back unless I went to another MK gig & what happens????? - I end up back there 3 months later for a stag do :P :P
Its a good city & the geordie accent is great,you should check out Buffalo Joes as well - staying on the buffalo after 15 pts is not too easy though :disbelief :disbelief
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »
Prefer to watch people sitting on the buffalo while drinking the 16th pint  ;)
Thanks WM for your advice, I will keep it in mind.

Others? Who is going to the gig in Newcastle and want to meet pre-show?

Offlineniiiice1

• Guitar George
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »
I wonder if WM is offering any nice discounts on the price of a drink on Saturday afternoon then?  :lol

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
I wonder if WM is offering any nice discounts on the price of a drink on Saturday afternoon then?  :lol

Waterline Man - Waterline pub ::) ::) Down to the..........!!!!!!

I wish that I owned it ;D
If it aint broke dont fix it!

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »
The Crown Posada at bottom of Dean Street near the Quayside is a good old fashioned real ale pub - there aren't many others with character left in the City now. There are bistros, sports bars, music bars, disco bars, fun bars, hotel bars, but alas not many pubs. Plenty places to eat though and to wander round - it is a very small town/city compared to it's population.

The arena is a glorified cattle shed, and the acoustics were awful on the few occasions I visited. Can't believe (still) he isn't playing the City Hall.

I understand though that the venue is to be shortened i.e. instead of 10,000 seats there will be maybe 4,000 so that should be interesting. Make sure you eat before going in there as the food isn't that much cop and is not cheap either.

Offlineniiiice1

• Guitar George
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:06:16 PM »
Agree with Simon. For decent ale. the Bodega is a great pre-show or post-show watering hole though, about 5 mins from the Arena.

Also agree about the venue - a bit of a tin can. but let's hope MK can apply a bit of magic to the place...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 39 queries.