Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Do you miss Paul Franklin's steel guital and/or Chris White'sax ?  (Read 7610 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
As for me, my answer is: PF - no, CW - yes.
Feel that the pedal steel guitar was a bit too much, but that the Sax gave a fantastic touch, that I don't think to be outdated, 80s old-fashioned, as MK and the band seem to think nowadays...
Violin is a very nice addition. As for flute... sometimes I think there is a bit too much of it.
What do you think ?

Love Expresso

For me vice versa! Chris White is hopeless 80's "careless whisper" sound for me. Not him personally, it is the instrument that is not for me.

Paul Franklin added some of the best things to MK's music. Would love to hear him on a new MK album any time!

LE

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
Chris White > really good, really great

but one of my biggest wishes: Paul Franklin .....  :D 10 points out of 10

OfflineTally

• Camerado
In short, no. I don't miss any of them. I thought Chris added the most when he played the flute. The sax was just in your face all the time with its cheesy sound.

PF is obviously a great player but I prefer Mark or a rock guitarist playing. In that regard, I think that the present folk thing is much more interesting.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Well, PF was a fabulous addition to the band but as you say, I have to agree he was overused.  I would still like him there though if only so they could play OES but to put a pedal steel on MFN and such songs is just plain wrong IMO.  Also, Calling Elvis was never the same without him so there are plenty of songs that would benefit from having him in the band but keep it real!

I think this overuse of "guests" is something that runs in Mark's music;  just pay attention to the KtGC tour and you'll find overuse of JMcC and his cittern popping up on just about every song where it's not wanted just so that he's kept busy. ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:23:32 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
For me vice versa! Chris White is hopeless 80's "careless whisper" sound for me. Not him personally, it is the instrument that is not for me.

Well... I just listened again to SoS, 1-Alchemy version (on BR, sounds great) and 2-Wembley'85, and while I love both, and Alchemy's one has the edge on the energy level (at least at the beginning), I have to say I prefer the later, thanks to the Sax bridge and dialogue towards the end. So moving. Brings emotion to a rock song, almost making it into a prog song :)

Have you heard Roger Waters (another great musician) "On the flesh" concert ? The Sax does not seem outdated to me, just listen to "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" or "Money"...

Anyway, matter of taste I guess :) Mark used again Chris for the 2002 charity concerts and on the KTGC album ("In the Sky"), so, I may not think that it is THAT outdated :)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Well, PF was a fabulous addition to the band but as you say, I have to agree he was overused.  I would still like him there though if only so they could play OES but to put a pedal steel on MFN and such songs is just plain wrong IMO.  Also, Calling Elvis was never the same without him so there are plenty of songs that would benefit from having him in the band but keep it real!

I think this overuse of "guests" is something that runs in Mark's music;  just pay attention to the KtGC tour and you'll find overuse of JMcC and his cittern popping up on just about every song where it's not wanted just so that he's kept busy. ::)

I totally agree with you, DMG! PF is fantastic on CE and OES, but putting pedal steel on songs like Brothers in Arms or Telegraph Road is heresy to me...

Offlinenando

• Guitar George
I do miss Chris White. Sultans is far away better whith him.

Love Expresso

You and your friend would not exist without PF, I am sure. I think he inspired the music for that song. Also The Bug, which is a very underrated great song, benefits from PF. I like In The Sky, and Chris is great on it, which means he doesn't play like Michael Bolton. (I WILL get Slavi going ballistic... he he  :lol )

LE

Blimey, this thread made me wanting to listen to On Every Street again tonight! Will put it onto my player immediately! Sleep must wait...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:30:27 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineTally

• Camerado
Oh, saxophone on Sultans! Don't remind me, that was just awful... We are talking about the guitar song of guitar songs here, and a sax in the middle of all that was just devastating.

And yeah, PF was definitely overused. It's funny, Mark's second guitarists have normally been underused, whereas additional personnel have often been, as you say, overused. Sort of like being friendly to guests I suppose.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Do you miss Paul Franklin's steel guital and/or Chris White'sax ?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
Oh, saxophone on Sultans! Don't remind me, that was just awful... We are talking about the guitar song of guitar songs here, and a sax in the middle of all that was just devastating.
Don't you think the dialogue between guitar and sax is making the guitar shine ?? Do you feel the same way about the guitar/piano(i/o sax), '96 style ?

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 12:16:27 AM »
I do miss Chris White. Sultans is far away better whith him.

Here it is... Played last week, Chris White and John Illsley - Sultans of Swing with Sax!

Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 04:34:49 AM »
I love the sound of saxophone.  I think CW was a great addition to MK. R&J with Chris's sax was like being in heaven.  Your latest trick, even SOS.  They are all wonderful.  CW is my second fav in Mark's band.

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
Don't you think the dialogue between guitar and sax is making the guitar shine ?? Do you feel the same way about the guitar/piano(i/o sax), '96 style ?

No, I find the sax distracting. The 'long' Sultans with the piano is a fine arrangement, as long as it's without the sax and as long as the piano part doesn't become too long (sometimes the case in 1996; it became a different song with a different feeling). In that way, it's not wholly about bringing in another instrument, that's true. But Sultans works just fine as a four-piece.

I think Chris White did a good job on, say, the outro on Ride Across the River live. Those fast notes that Mark also played on the guitar... Beautiful!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:54:23 AM »
No, I find the sax distracting. The 'long' Sultans with the piano is a fine arrangement, as long as it's without the sax and as long as the piano part doesn't become too long (sometimes the case in 1996; it became a different song with a different feeling). In that way, it's not wholly about bringing in another instrument, that's true. But Sultans works just fine as a four-piece.

I think Chris White did a good job on, say, the outro on Ride Across the River live. Those fast notes that Mark also played on the guitar... Beautiful!
I can see your point. Sos RAH 96 (available officially on the SoS compilation bonus disc) is quite fine; the 17''+ from Vaison 96 is nice, very nice, but also very long, somehow breaking the rythm; nonetheless I think the keyboards brings much to it, and I like it less nowadays as a 4 piece - especially that slow... Alchemy should be the good compromise then ?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 42 queries.