Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Is MK really going on?  (Read 17098 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Is MK really going on?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 12:04:40 AM »
"Echoes" was revived for the 2006 "On a Island tour". A fantastic version indeed, very well documented on "Live in Gdansk" and "Remember that Night" DVD, which I almost prefer to Pompeii ! I will most certainly not played again, because of Rick Wright's death - Dave said he will not play it without him. Sad, sad... but a good example of a great song being revived after 20 years (Mark, if you read this... TOL is your "echoes" ! :d)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 01:01:24 AM »
Have to agree with all you said Love Expresso (except i think OES was the first backwards step) - now that Alchemy has been released the new holy grail would be a box set of outtakes in the style of Bob Dylans.

I know its not popular opinion here, but i take it as a slap in the face that DS questions and wishes are treated with such disdain by GF & MK. Its only logical that if you`ve sold millions of albums you are going to get more questions and enquiries about that era than your latest lot of celtic sleepy songs!

Fair enough that the official line is they "don`t want to look backwards" but why oppose any queries from fans along these lines ? Grumpy Old Men (I thnk i am too) ! ;D
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 05:55:08 AM »
IMHO, MK has reached maturity lyrically, musically and vocally.  Just like Val, his music has become so much more significant in my life. Mark's music impact me on every level of my existence. As much as I love and long for those remarkable DS years, I found myself immerse in his solo work more and more.  You can almost relate  to his songs in every aspect.  He is the most talented song writer ever.

He's very unpretentious in his playing.  You can feel the passion emanates from his voice, and his guitar work.  Just everything about Mark is so powerful.  It empowers you yet it can be hurtful.  Because you just can never seem to have enough of him. 

So, yes, Mark has evolved and will continue to do so.  He casts his magic and touches soooo many lives.  And we are all LUCKY to get a chance to ride along with his incredible talents.  I'm so very grateful !

I agreed with herlock on KTGC. In the beginning it got the least play time, as I listen to it more and more , I discovered so many gems on this album, I can almost safely say that it's one of the best.  With the exception of 2 songs in this album that don't quite do it for me.  "True Love will never fade" and "the fish and the bird" No offense to those who love these 2 songs.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 06:44:12 AM »
One thing I find interesting about this these type of discussions when it comes to MK is that there is never any consensus one way or the other. There are some fans here that feel (and will feel) that he has evolved while others think (and will think) he hasn't and prefer earlier material. This is very different for others artists. It may not be the best example, but for say for Bruce Springsteen- the majority of his fans prefer his earlier work over his later albums such as "Working on a Dream" or "Magic" or his work with the "The Seeger Sessions" band.

Personally, I think MK has evolved over time but perhaps not to everyone's liking and not in the way that you would expect it. If you listen to "Shangri-La" and "Get Lucky" one after the other, it will become apparent that they are very different albums. As I've said before, I never cared much for "Kill to Get Crimson". For the first time ever, lyrically, I thought there were some "rough" songs on there like "The Fish and the Bird" or "In the Sky". At that time, I really started to wonder what direction MK was going in and began listening to other bands more and more that were writing music that I could relate to. But then "Get Lucky" came about, and IMO, it's one of his best.

Lastly, I just want to mention that it's become clear over time that MK enjoys recording and playing the music he wants to and being somewhat distant from the fans. Like it or not, when it comes to MK, that's all you're going to get. And don't dare mention that multi-platinum selling band named Dire Straits. It's just the 16,000 pound elephant in the room. Just check out how much publicity the new Alchemy DVD got...
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
I think this is all about personal choice,obviously everyone has their own point of view on the route that MK 's music has gone,you either like it or you dont.Ok,he now plays in venues that would be lucky to hold the gear for DS in the the good old days the  question being " is that the way that he wants it"???He always said that DS got too big so if you ask me he is'nt bothered by the smaller venues or smaller crowds as he is now trying something that he has wanted to do for years & its up to us whether we go with it or not!!! Obviously he has to see that his fan base has dwindled over the past 10 years,there was approx ,7000 at the Dublin gig on Wednesday so it wasnt a sell out, Belfast is only 100 miles up the road the following night so that was going to take a few people but that wasnt a sell out either - fair enough week days dont suit everyone but that wouldnt happen 20 years ago!!!

I went to see the Police 2 years ago in a 80,000 capacity stadium & there was probably 50,000 people there, now if you asked me would DS get 50,000 people into a stadium here in Ireland if the reformed for a reunion tour - not a hope in hell,they would be lucky to get 20,000.I know guys that wouldnt cross the road to see MK,not to mind paying thousands of
If it aint broke dont fix it!

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
Just a short reply...

STP was fantastic and RPD has grown to almost the same status. Shangri-La and KTGC were both very, very weak. I was almost drifting away from Mark at that time.

But, GL is much better. The arrangements are full of life, the songs are better and there is more energy. I really like it. As for the tours, same old, same old. What worries me most is Mark's weaker guitar playing on stage.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »
Just a short reply...
 What worries me most is Mark's weaker guitar playing on stage.

If you had seen him in Dublin, you certainly wouldn't say that!   He played the best and sang the best I have EVER heard!   Maybe you will change your mind when your time comes.   BTW I love "Shangri-La", along with RPD and Get Lucky it is my favourite album!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »
I haw heard quite a few songs from this tour and generally he seems to play better than during KTGC tour, which was by far his weakes period ever.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
I haw heard quite a few songs from this tour and generally he seems to play better than during KTGC tour, which was by far his weakes period ever.

Hearing a few recordings is nothing compared to hearing him play live, but they are better than nothing, I suppose.  Live, he blows me away and nobody else does that for me!   :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:49:43 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »

That's exactly what I think too.  I heard a few concerts on the KtGC tour (four I think) and, so far only one on this tour which happened to be last night, but last night in Glasgow his playing was simply sublime and far better than any of last tours' concerts I attended.  It seems he has fallen back in love with the guitar again. :) 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 02:37:17 PM »
Just a short reply...

STP was fantastic and RPD has grown to almost the same status. Shangri-La and KTGC were both very, very weak. I was almost drifting away from Mark at that time.

But, GL is much better. The arrangements are full of life, the songs are better and there is more energy. I really like it. As for the tours, same old, same old. What worries me most is Mark's weaker guitar playing on stage.

I tend to agree with that: STP is kind of a DS revival, while TRD is kind of NHB revival; GL is good synthesis between the 2, a good career summary. SL and KTGC are the most difficult to approach, although they are quality album. And to me SL is even more difficult. Can't understand why it was advertised as "his most rocking album since DS". STP deservees this statement, not SL. Even the single, BLT, is good but really dry. But on each MK album there is at least one song that makes me melt. On SL it's call Postcards from Paraguay... on KTGC it's called Punish the Monkey :)

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 06:23:51 PM »

Hearing a few recordings is nothing compared to hearing him play live, but they are better than nothing, I suppose.  Live, he blows me away and nobody else does that for me!   :)

I see what you mean and of course bootlegs don't have perfect sound but we can hear him hitting (or missing) those notes rather clearly. What I'm saying is that it's hard to be objective when you attend a live show because you're caught up in the moment. That's fine, but his playing is, technically speaking, clearly inferior compared to, say, 2005. And only a few songs force him to really work at it these days, live. But the seating seems to be a good thing in this regard.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
Tallgren,  MK always hit or missed notes, especially in the early days.  Some of those early recordings were terrible with lots of wrong or clumsily played notes.   He is playing much better these days imo, but 2005 was no better than any of the concerts I have downloaded from this tour.   

OK, I may be carried away with the moment, but that's what concert-going is all about - enjoying the moment and I certainly enjoyed Dublin and I'm sure it will be the same for my next three concerts.   Perhaps that's why MK really doesn't like us videoing - he wants us to enjoy the moment, without any post-mortems.   Too much analysis is not good - just enjoy the precious time we have at the gig!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 10:04:42 PM »
MK always hit or missed notes, especially in the early days. 

For example? I don't remember hearing any, but would really like to listen to them...:) Any specific bootleg or song?
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 10:46:26 PM »
Well, you don't seriously think he was note-perfect all the time, do you?    Just listen to Rockpalast and the Arena programme - there were some mistakes, but that doesn't matter, I still loved what he was doing at that time, but nobody's perfect - even MK and he did make mistakes in the past the same as now!  I just happen to enjoy his playing more these days, even though, horror of horrors, there may be some mistakes heard on a bootleg!    He's only human you know!   ;)   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:20:55 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.