Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Is MK really going on?  (Read 17096 times)

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
Re: Is MK really going on?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 11:34:12 PM »
Well, you don't seriously think he was note-perfect all the time, do you?    Just listen to Rockpalast and the Arena programme - there were some mistakes, but that doesn't matter, I still loved what he was doing at that time, but nobody's perfect - even MK and he did make mistakes in the past the same as now!  I just happen to enjoy his playing more these days, even though, horror of horrors, there may be some mistakes heard on a bootleg!    He's only human you know!   ;)

Hehe, well of course I don't, nobody's perfect. I just probably didn't like the "especially in the early days" part, imho K2GC was worse than any early days. But just like you said it doesn't really matter.
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 11:50:05 PM »
Seriously, I'm sure most of us started to listen to Mark partly because he's an incredibly gifted guitar player. While I agree that he still has the touch and can achieve sounds today that he could not 25 years ago when he was still inexperienced with distorted guitars, there's hardly any reason debating that he was technically a much better player up to 2005. His playing now is slower and he misses more notes. Sultans is but a shadow of what it once was.

And it's just not about greenies, the problem is that you can hear him struggling, sliding over notes and barely making it. I suppose his style is very demanding; it has that "perfect" quality when you're up to it because of the special style, but it sounds much weaker as soon as you hesitate.

And again, of course you should enjoy the live shows but it's only in hindsight that you can judge the actual quality of the playing.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:37 PM »
Seriously, I'm sure most of us started to listen to Mark partly because he's an incredibly gifted guitar player. While I agree that he still has the touch and can achieve sounds today that he could not 25 years ago when he was still inexperienced with distorted guitars, there's hardly any reason debating that he was technically a much better player up to 2005. His playing now is slower and he misses more notes. Sultans is but a shadow of what it once was.

And it's just not about greenies, the problem is that you can hear him struggling, sliding over notes and barely making it. I suppose his style is very demanding; it has that "perfect" quality when you're up to it because of the special style, but it sounds much weaker as soon as you hesitate.

And again, of course you should enjoy the live shows but it's only in hindsight that you can judge the actual quality of the playing.

I've often thought about this too to myself and it being really just a matter of accuracy in his playing decreasing as his years are increasing!  Perhaps this was the reason he wore glasses in 2005 and I've often wondered why he thought he needed them then but not now... :-\
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 01:54:44 AM »
He was spot on tonight - faultless.
The audience average age increases year by year though!

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 02:42:54 AM »

For f@/k sake the man is 60 & he's played for the world for the past 35 yrs, who are we to say what he's doing is wrong or right????When last did any of us play in front of 5 people not to mind 5,000 people at 60 ???????He is what he is,full stop,like it or not,love it or hate it! 
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Rollergirl

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
For f@/k sake the man is 60 & he's played for the world for the past 35 yrs, who are we to say what he's doing is wrong or right????When last did any of us play in front of 5 people not to mind 5,000 people at 60 ???????He is what he is,full stop,like it or not,love it or hate it! 

AMEN!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
Ditto!     ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »
Like I've said before, people on this forum just can't stand when Mark is criticized. Compared to other forums, the atmosphere in here is polite to the extent of being extreme. It's a forum for discussion, after all.

People start cursing because someone mentions that Mark's playing is below his previous standard? Childish.

And, please note that my reply was a reply to Val's assertion that he made more mistakes as a young player. I don't believe I have ever encountered such a position before. If you're unable to discuss these things in a civilised manner, well, I can only feel sorry for you.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »
Please, Tallgren, just enjoy the man NOW whilst he is still producing wonderful music, because it won't go on forever.   I hope you will appreciate how fantastic the show is as much as others have, when your turn comes.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 12:30:20 PM »
Believe me, I do enjoy these shows! That's not what I'm saying at all. Fortunately, my world is not black and white as some people's seem to be  :)

I have the Eugene bootleg and I have listened to it many a night. Great stuff. I'm afraid I'll miss him this tour though. I live in Sweden but Helsingborg is almost in Denmark so I won't make it to that show (it's sold out too now).

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »

I have the Eugene bootleg and I have listened to it many a night. Great stuff. I'm afraid I'll miss him this tour though. I live in Sweden but Helsingborg is almost in Denmark so I won't make it to that show (it's sold out too now).

Oh, that's sad!    Maybe we will get a DVD this time or even some MP3's!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »
personnaly I agreed with WM's reaction because I hate negativism (if there is such a word?), in everything. I prefer to concentrate on the positive.

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Like I've said before, people on this forum just can't stand when Mark is criticized. Compared to other forums, the atmosphere in here is polite to the extent of being extreme. It's a forum for discussion, after all.

People start cursing because someone mentions that Mark's playing is below his previous standard? Childish.

And, please note that my reply was a reply to Val's assertion that he made more mistakes as a young player. I don't believe I have ever encountered such a position before. If you're unable to discuss these things in a civilised manner, well, I can only feel sorry for you.

Exactly. I am with you Tallgren.

Alright, he has played for 35 years in public, but I think I can express what I think about his work. Or should it be rather that whatever he does I have to agree with and  approve of his work/actions blindly, just because he is somebody (this goes for anybody, not just MK). And if he has played for 35 years in public, then he must be used to playing for 5000 or 50000 people no matter how old is he.
He is what he is, and he also isn't exactly what he was (speaking about guitar playing). But everyone changes over time.

I still love his concerts.
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »
I think its great Mark does whatever the hell he likes now (lets face it, he always has!)

Its just annoying there is no-one official to petition regarding a bootleg / outtake boxset type thing from the old days, or even the solo days. Any mention of the glorious past is met with disdain, which i think is just plain un-cool!

On the positive side, Alchemy was given the same `not going to happen` vibe, and then it did!!!! I wonder who made this decision ? Was it Management, Chuck, or some guy who cleans the studio ????? Whoever you are, we want more !!!!!!!!
 :)

Edit - Can you imagine the gold that would be locked away as alternate DS versions of songs ? Beautifully recorded, etc etc - there must be a Blind Willie McTell or two waiting to be heard, i just hope i`m alive to hear them !
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:57:11 PM by Fletch »
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
I think that although he may not be as accurate in his playing as he used to be (this is most evident in recent versions of Wild Theme where he nearly always scuffs notes now) he is better in many other ways than he was in the early days in as far as his vocabulary goes (sounds and licks etc.) so it's a bit of give and take really.

I must say though that in Glasgow on Friday night his playing was fantastic and he really turned back the years so on a good night he's better than ever! :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 42 queries.