Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Is MK really going on?  (Read 17099 times)

OfflineTally

• Camerado
Re: Is MK really going on?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 04:23:38 PM »
I agree that it's give and take, for sure. As I've stated elsewhere on the forum, I think that GL is a great record and as you say, Mark's playing style is different these days, not simply "worse".

I'm very sad to miss this tour. I'd love to hear some of the new songs in the setlist.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »
Quote Alchemy:
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 12:03:47 AM »
Seriously, I'm sure most of us started to listen to Mark partly because he's an incredibly gifted guitar player. While I agree that he still has the touch and can achieve sounds today that he could not 25 years ago when he was still inexperienced with distorted guitars, there's hardly any reason debating that he was technically a much better player up to 2005. His playing now is slower and he misses more notes. Sultans is but a shadow of what it once was.

And it's just not about greenies, the problem is that you can hear him struggling, sliding over notes and barely making it. I suppose his style is very demanding; it has that "perfect" quality when you're up to it because of the special style, but it sounds much weaker as soon as you hesitate.

And again, of course you should enjoy the live shows but it's only in hindsight that you can judge the actual quality of the playing.
Do you know ANYTHING about guitar playing? It's of course OK that you don't like his current guitar style (which has changed drastically since the 70's and 80's), but this doesn't make sense at all...

Pity you aren-' able to see him this summer! Why don't you just pop over to Oslo?

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 10:18:21 AM »
Seriously, I'm sure most of us started to listen to Mark partly because he's an incredibly gifted guitar player. While I agree that he still has the touch and can achieve sounds today that he could not 25 years ago when he was still inexperienced with distorted guitars, there's hardly any reason debating that he was technically a much better player up to 2005. His playing now is slower and he misses more notes. Sultans is but a shadow of what it once was.

And it's just not about greenies, the problem is that you can hear him struggling, sliding over notes and barely making it. I suppose his style is very demanding; it has that "perfect" quality when you're up to it because of the special style, but it sounds much weaker as soon as you hesitate.

And again, of course you should enjoy the live shows but it's only in hindsight that you can judge the actual quality of the playing.
Do you know ANYTHING about guitar playing? It's of course OK that you don't like his current guitar style (which has changed drastically since the 70's and 80's), but this doesn't make sense at all...

Pity you aren-' able to see him this summer! Why don't you just pop over to Oslo?

Haha, I've played the guitar for about six years. MK made me pick up the guitar and I play his songs almost daily; that's why it matters so much. (Though everyone is entitled to their opinion, guitar player or not...)

I LOVE his playing today, but I don't mind criticizing it when I think it's not up to par (judged by MK standards). That's the way I reason with my favourite players, writers, singers, painters, whatever. Being a fan is not the same thing as worshipping every little thing someone does. I never said I did not like his present style, I like it a lot. But 2005 was the last tour where he, to me, seemed to be fully in control of his playing. I don't see why that's such a controversial thing to say. It's not very strange; the guitar comes second these days, the songs come first. But I'm entitled to comment on a guitarist's playing, am I not? These days, his playing, which has been a central sound of my life since being a kid, doesn't do it the way it used to. Again, judging by MK standards. I should say that, as you indicate, he's after different things today with his playing. I think it's a combination of a new desired style and new physical limitations.

Oslo is an alternative but I'm afraid it doesn't look like it will happen. Are there tickets available, the MK News link leads nowhere?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:00:19 AM by Tallgren »

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
My main gripe is the fact that MK does the same songs every night of the tour apart from missing out one or two occasionally. Surely, if the band's as good as Guy says it is, then it would be no problem to rehearse 50 odd songs and mix it up every night. This is what the Rolling Stones did on their last couple of tours and it meant they could delve properly into their enormous back catlogue and dust off some long forgotten and obscure gems thus giving the fans genuine suprises amongst all the greatest hits for the casual listener.

I'm sure the hardcore fans are largely sick and tired of hearing Brothers in Arms and Romeo and Juliet played the same way they've been played for the last 25 years. They really don't need to be included in the setlist anymore. For the same reasons, I cringe when Clapton, with his massive back catalogue, drags out the tired old stodge of Cocaine and Wonderful Tonight at his concerts when he could be easily delving deeper into his old albums and keeping it interesting for the fans and presumably himself.

As for the guitar playing, yes he misses notes and his playing doesn't seem to be as 'circular' or joined up as it used to be. However, I can understand why he's replaced the guitar slinger of the late 70's with a more sedate and elegant tone due to natural ageing and there's nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:40:30 PM by pjh3121 »

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 11:30:40 PM »
Hi all. I'm joining this one a bit late. Now i'm not one for long posts, or great disections of peoples posts or criticisms, and i'm certainly not a guitar player. All i know is that i've loved Mark's guitar sound, song writing skills and voice since the very 1st DS album, and all i can say is i love it as much today as i did all those years ago.
I love it when his live playing (which in the large part is perfect), but i also love it when he makes the odd 'greenie'.
He has been the soundtrack to my life now for so long.
His music has certainly got under my skin. Literally. (My two Knopfler related tattoos bear the proof of this fact) ;)
I will follow his music for as long as he enjoys making it.

BTW. I agree with Fletch about an outtakes, rarities boxset similar to Dylan, Young, Springsteen. :)

Cheers    BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

draad

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
Tallgren - I saw Mark on Friday and his guitar playing was brilliant imo. I heard one fluffed note the whole night. The little camera on his guitar that projects a close up of his hands (esp the left hand) onto a big screen behind the band really shows you how well he works those strings! I think he's still got it all there and can bring it out when he wants to.

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »
Tallgren - I saw Mark on Friday and his guitar playing was brilliant imo. I heard one fluffed note the whole night. The little camera on his guitar that projects a close up of his hands (esp the left hand) onto a big screen behind the band really shows you how well he works those strings! I think he's still got it all there and can bring it out when he wants to.

I hear you man and that sounds awesome! As far as I can tell, the sitting down business has had positive effects on his playing.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »
I was as big a DS fan as anybody, but like Val I listen to MK's solo work much more now than DS.

I think all of his solo albums are excellent, with the exception of KTGC, it still has a few good songs on it but more poor than good IMO.

Until recently I considered Shangri La to be MK's finest album, either solo or with DS, but Get Lucky may be better.

And in terms of performance, I have been fortunate enough to see MK live on 13 ocassions now and the gig last Friday in Glasgow was probably the best, at least equal with 96 in Aberdeen which had the longer GH set, MK enthusiasm for Les Pauls and 96ers etc.

I just hope MK can keep going, this back problem is a reminder that he is a man in his 60s.  :-\

Still, Willie Nelson is still going strong at 78.  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 01:54:15 PM »
It's the same for me, I listen more to MK solo work than DS. That doesn't necessarily mean it's "better" but it's new and fresh, and there are many solo albums now. Here's to hoping he hits the studio after the tour!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2010, 05:51:48 PM »
same here.
but wit h 120GB on the ipod,on shuffle, i listen to both, and others all the time.
i don't care. like it all (MK, NHB, DS, EC etc..)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
Me too ! MK solos stuff dominate my ipod time.  I think there are just so much more maturity in the songs, lyrics wise, musical, and vocal. 

MK has indeed evolved and I believe he will continue to do so as he's getting older and naturally becoming more infused with wisdom. At least that's what I think.

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »
I listen to DS surely more than to MK. (because I don't like falling asleep  ;D  ;D )
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2010, 08:32:47 AM »
I listen to DS surely more than to MK. (because I don't like falling asleep  ;D  ;D )

Funny thing about this is, in my teens I used to struggle to sleep sometimes and would usually put one of the first four DS albums on, always worked!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 40 queries.