Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mention of "Once Upon a Time in the West" in Steig Larsson's new book.  (Read 2638 times)

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
I came across this line on page 371 of The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Swedish author, Stieg Larsson:  Figuerola's mobile phone played the theme from "Once Upon a Time in the West."    Larsson was obviously a fan of Dire Straits.     The book, third in a trilogy, was published just last month.  Setting is in the mid 2000s, in Sweden, of course.     MK is definitely in our culture.   Cool.
BTW, the series is very good.   Sometimes a little violent but highly interesting, with intricate plotting. 
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
IrisRose,  The film "Once Upon a Time in the West" was made in 1969 and I think I remember it mentioned somewhere that MK had watched that film, but obviously it was long before MK wrote his song.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:16:37 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

Yeah, in Germany it is page 559 and the translator called the theme "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" which has nothing to do with the meaning of "Once Upon A Time In The West" but the name of the Sergio Leone's spaghetti western from 1968. So it is clear that the movie was meant, not MK's composition. Sad enough...

Funnily enough, I was thinking about that same movie the last days because of Marbletown. I think there is a scene in that movie where the station is built, and construction materials are delivered by train... So I was thinking that the live version of Marbletown really has some kind of radio play:

The storyteller in that song who was put off the train by a bad bull is a hobo. He has to hide somewhere and wait for a "cannonball" which in my opinion is one of those faster and bigger trains that "won't stop for anyone" - and in those little western nest there is probably a little store of Marble - let's say for tombstones.
And because they are so heavy they are stored near the tracks... So he lies there in a "tombstone" and waits for another train.. A man on the road, not meant to be seated or settled...
And in the live version that part with John McCusker's sad violin picking and then playing is excactly that sad feeling of waiting all alone in a anonymous town where nobody else is looking or waiting for you. His eyes are bound to the horizon, and then suddenly, very far on the horizon, he can see the train coming... And the music starts like his pulse. He HAS to get this train, so he must jump onto it... And this part, when he starts running next to the
train, maybe in the dark or dawn, is really excellent verified by MK and the band. the flute of John McGoldrick is like the steam or the streaming of the train, and then, when he JUMPS on it, the musical highpoint is reached. Then, he is on it, and the train is rolling into the horizon... and leaves the scene. He has done it. Until he will be put down from that one by the next bad bull!

Just my thought, I think Guy would say "Nope" to it. ::)

LE

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
I like the interpretations you give of Marbletown.   I had just thought that the setting would be the American South, as the hobo culture was huge during the 1930s depression era.   But no matter whereever it is,  it's a great song, especially with the current on tour renditions.    You can also hear the rhythm of the train engine and the whistle in the song.   

The German translation does change the meaning though, doesn't it.  Sigh.
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Wow, LE, that is a great interpretation of Marbletown!   What an imagination!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
IrisRose,  I think we both posted almost the same time!   Great minds, or what!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

I had just thought that the setting would be the American South, as the hobo culture was huge during the 1930s depression era.   But no matter whereever it is,  it's a great song, especially with the current on tour renditions.    You can also hear the rhythm of the train engine and the whistle in the song.   

The German translation does change the meaning though, doesn't it.  Sigh.

Oh, it doesn't matter for me. The movie scene was just the catalyst for my imagination going off - no matter if the year is exactly fitting... The time of
the depression is probably the time that is meant by MK - a time he seems to love to express with his Martin guitar... Like Get Lucky, the song that also
could be put into this time (...tell it to the breadline...)

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
If you listen to the 1978 pre-album release versions of Once Upon A Time In the West then sometimes MK changes the lyrics in the last stanza to "send in the maiden to do what's best" which always reminds me of Claudia Cardinale's character in the film.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 42 queries.