Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Reflexion on the dark side of the force, the darker side and set lists.  (Read 16536 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
It is a bit of every fan fantasm to be able to follow a full tour, and surely at some point it had been mine, but from my own little experience of following Mark from Brussels to Nimes in 2001 [just only 6 shows in a row in 4 differents places] I can tell that I am pleased that it remains to the fantasm status (but how far I would go for a Dire Straits reunion?).

Isaac is lucky to be able to do it. Because he is doing something different and that most of us are not able to do, introducing him as the "one who attend every 2010 shows" is a bit troubling at first sight. Just think how you would react if instead he was introduced as "here is a travelerman man who is doing a long journey to discover Europe and meet a lot different people and culture". Same thing but different light.

Having met him he is not a sort of freaky groupie that some could imagine but a nice chap to talk with.

Agreed, very nice chap and his blog is a joy to read. He does us a great service as it is great to read about the tour from a fan's perspective. Amazing that he cans still have enthusiasm for Brothers in Arms after 60 shows though!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
I dont think Isaac is looking for any attention from anyone really whether its MK,Guy, us or whoever - I think he just likes travelling & MK's music,so the tour & music thing sort of fits in together for him.When Cod gave him all the t shirts at the last US gig he seemed in a state of shock more than anything that someone would think that much of him. Su're if he wanted to meet MK he could have bought the signature strat that was up for charity auction last year & it would have cost him a hell of a lot less!!!

Its probably something he'll look back on when he's a lot older & say "yeah that was worth it"
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
I do agree with you WM. I don't understand why people keep posting about this.
When someone takes a sabbatical and goes to India for a year: people react with cool, interesting, smart.

But if you take a 4 months sabbatical to follow MK's tour someone should be crazy.

If I had the opportunity to take a sabbatical I know which option of the 2 above I would choose  :P

And Dusty: you are absolutely right, it's none of our business how someone pays for whatever!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:47:42 PM by ingridswing »

OfflineLise

• Guitar George
Hi all, my first post here. Mostly, I only read some threads but this is an interesting topic for me as my profession (studied social worker) is helping people getting back into their own life when they 'got lost' somehow. A person who travels with musicians for extended periods of time (following them) is called a groupie. Usually this is connected to girls but I understand that MK has got a lot more male fans than female fans. There are some 'famous' groupies who wrote books like 'I'm with the band' etc and it seems nowadays they write blogs. ;-) Those people are in big danger to live somebody's life. They are usually nice people but they seek attention and don't have a social life (girlfriend or boyfriend) and can therefore easily leave their own life for a long period of time to follow the celebrity.
Some celebrities had various kinds of contacts (you know what I mean :), some celebrities just think those people are mad and nuts and stay away. As I said...interesting topic! ;-)

Love Expresso

Everybody who reads Isaac's blog carefully will see that he has some very clear ideas about the trip: Looking into his very own soul is one of them. Thinking about from where he comes, where he will go and what he has done and reached so far. It also could be called a pilgrimage in the best sense of the word. In no way I would describe him as a groupie. But I met him only twice. He remembered me after more than three weeks and he is a very calm, intelligent, free and openminded guy. He made me thinking about some things (and about some books, too), and it was a pleasure to meet him. He also has a way with words. So it is that easy: He likes to travel, he likes MK's music and he loves to write about it. That is the main reason. If I would describe the joy and delights I experienced during this tour (with only two shows), it was of course seeing and hearing MK, and this fabulous band, and the joy of meeting the nice forumers and having a few days off with a MK show in sight. But it also and in any case was also meeting Isaac for sure.

LE

OfflineLise

• Guitar George
Thanks LE for your thoughts. They are no contradiction to my post at all, they really underline the behaviour. A groupie is not always a screaming teenager but could be someone 'who rocks with the band' and gives them signs they played ok or other kinds of behaviour.
I was in Frankfurt and Hannover, as I live between these cities. So two shows for me.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
I was in Frankfurt and Hannover, as I live between these cities. So two shows for me.

Oh really? You attended Mark Knopfler twice within only ten days? Once was not enough?

What the need to go back seeing him? Would have not been better to go to see somebody else instead, to discover a small yet unknown band. Holly s...t twice the same in ten days. I tell you, you are in a very big danger of knopflerite addiction (as many others here)  :P 

BTW, welcome Lise  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:35:54 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineLise

• Guitar George
I understand your intention but won't follow it! Sorry, but nice try ;)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
I understand your intention but won't follow it! Sorry, but nice try ;)

Good.

If at least only I could understand mine.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:39:15 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Hi all, my first post here. Mostly, I only read some threads but this is an interesting topic for me as my profession (studied social worker) is helping people getting back into their own life when they 'got lost' somehow. A person who travels with musicians for extended periods of time (following them) is called a groupie. Usually this is connected to girls but I understand that MK has got a lot more male fans than female fans. There are some 'famous' groupies who wrote books like 'I'm with the band' etc and it seems nowadays they write blogs. ;-) Those people are in big danger to live somebody's life. They are usually nice people but they seek attention and don't have a social life (girlfriend or boyfriend) and can therefore easily leave their own life for a long period of time to follow the celebrity.
Some celebrities had various kinds of contacts (you know what I mean :), some celebrities just think those people are mad and nuts and stay away. As I said...interesting topic! ;-)

Interesting points Lise, welcome to the best MK forum in the world.

To be fair to Isaac he is not a "Rudiger" type hanging around at the stage door trying to meet MK etc (I will admit to having done this myself on occassion to get autographs), he just seems to care about the music.

But still interesting points. Like you say, even if I had the money, could take 4 months off work and most importantly wanted to see the same concert every night, I could not and would not want to leave my wife and two sons for that length of time...

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
Much easier if you don't have a wife or children though  :D.
I for myself would actually love to plan a trip like this. But I would do it different. I would choose 2 or 3 shows a week (depending on MK's schedule) in places I think they are interesting, so I had the best of all:
1. Travelling a lot
2. Hearing the best music in the world every week a couple of times
3. Hang around in nice and new surroundings/cities for more than 1 day

The only thing I need for that is:
1. A little more money
2. A huge more time

Keep on dreaming Ingrid  :D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Much easier if you don't have a wife or children though  :D.
I for myself would actually love to plan a trip like this. But I would do it different. I would choose 2 or 3 shows a week (depending on MK's schedule) in places I think they are interesting, so I had the best of all:
1. Travelling a lot
2. Hearing the best music in the world every week a couple of times
3. Hang around in nice and new surroundings/cities for more than 1 day

The only thing I need for that is:
1. A little more money
2. A huge more time

Keep on dreaming Ingrid  :D

Yeah, that would be a much better idea although I suppose you could end up missing some unexpected gems, either in places you didn't go to or shows you missed.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
You are right Dusty! And then I would kick myself to the head and say: why are you so lazy wanting a couple of nights in the same hotel in the same town instead of going on and enjoy every show.

We can't have it all I suppose  ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 41 queries.