Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #55:2010.06.19, Arena, Leipzig, Germany  (Read 40292 times)

Offlinedannyjun

• Camerado
Re: Concert #55:2010.06.19, Arena, Leipzig, Germany
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2010, 10:00:34 PM »
Danny - thanks for your support mate ;D

Dusty - I agree with you - the folkies have added a lot, but in the process have taken a little away.  I do like the overall sound of this band thgough, setlist notwithstanding.

The debate about die-hards versus old DS fans in attendance is an interesting one.   I'm not actually convinced that the argument that the audience is made up largely of people who want to hear the DS songs is as true as it might have been say two tours ago.  DS are a long time dead now and MK is a recognised solo artist albeit with a reduced fan base.  He's given up all the "voice and guitar of DS" stickers on CDs now.  I can understand why MK feels he has to/wants to play the DS stuff (milestones in peoples' lives etc)  but I think he could now get away with just playing SOS, R&J and BIA as the core "classics" (even R&J is dispensable in my book now but obviously not in Mark's cos he's played in in every gig since he wrote it!).  He broke that mould when he dropped MFN.  I can't see why he feels the need to trot out TR now, much as I love it unless he just enjoys it or feel it fits this band.  It does take up a big chunk of time ands SFA is nice but throwaway.  I actually think he might lose a few regulars after this tour unless there is a bit of a change of direction on the next one.

Maybe, but still he is recognized by MANY people as the voice and guitar of DS  ;) And what to say, SOS, MFN, WOL and many more are so well known...there is not so famous "hit" from his solo career...
Actually, in my opinion if he would really play what he wants, he would just play setlists like the Boothbay 2006 was. I

Offlinedannyjun

• Camerado
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
by the way, somebody posted this to GF:

Hi Doc, finally we discovered the "new" song you played last night :-))) Wow... that's really fantastic, I couldn't imagine a better song !!! Ahh ahhh ahhh oHHH oHH oHHH.....Great rock song....Cheers

eh... :lol

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »
by the way, somebody posted this to GF:

Hi Doc, finally we discovered the "new" song you played last night :-))) Wow... that's really fantastic, I couldn't imagine a better song !!! Ahh ahhh ahhh oHHH oHH oHHH.....Great rock song....Cheers

eh... :lol
Sounds like something I would do but I'm not guilty of this lowly sarcastic wit on this occasion! :disbelief
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2010, 10:47:07 PM »
This is limit disrespecful.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2010, 11:13:58 PM »
Please correct me if i'm wrong, and i hope that i' m not going to upset anyone. This has something to do with fish hasn't it?
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »
No need to correct you, lars ;)

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:24 PM »
This is limit disrespecful.

It absolutely is. I don't think this is funny at all. It makes me cringe to think that the guy who sent this to Guy (no pun intended) actually claims to be a fan...

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 11:34:12 PM »
If i were Guy, I had banned him from my forum. SO disrespectful. If you don't like the song, ok! But you can't say it in this way to the performer himself.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2010, 12:24:41 AM »
you are exaggerating Lars.
it is called sarcasm, not worth banning someone for.
there have been far worse posts then that.
why are you trying to be so restrictive on everything?
why should someone not be "allowed" to say their opinion about a specific song to the performer (part of it)??
we do pay to go to the shows, buy the simfy recs., buy the cd's...we do have the right to air our opinion.
nothing more, nothing less.

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »
I understand that after some days telling they were rehearsing a new song, if they just read in the forums they
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2010, 02:13:57 AM »
why should someone not be "allowed" to say their opinion about a specific song to the performer (part of it)??
we do pay to go to the shows, buy the simfy recs., buy the cd's...we do have the right to air our opinion.

it seems that GF, Pottel and myself have something in common: advocacy of total freedom of speech. Although i would not allow myself to write to GF in this way. I allow myself to write casually here about the setlist, but on GF forum I try to be positive and respectful. He does not like setlist questions, so what's the point anyway ? But that's just me - i don't want to piss Guy off while he is nice enough to speak to me. I have no authority to d

Offlinedannyjun

• Camerado
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:01 AM »

it seems that GF, Pottel and myself have something in common: advocacy of total freedom of speech. Although i would not allow myself to write to GF in this way. I allow myself to write casually here about the setlist, but on GF forum I try to be positive and respectful. He does not like setlist questions, so what's the point anyway ? But that's just me - i don't want to piss Guy off while he is nice enough to speak to me. I have no authority to d

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
I agree Herlock. I am absolutely for total freedom of speech. But I would never send a post like this to GF either, disappointed or not. But he aired his disappointment and the Doc is always answering the right way

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »
Listened to KTGC for the first time in a while today.

It's my least favourite MK album but I still enjoyed listening to it (except In the Sky, which is a terrible, terrible song). Just about any MK is good MK. :)

But it struck me that The Scaffolder's Wife (which along with Fizzy and the Still is one of the standout tracks on the album for me) could suit this band, Mike and John playing their whistles and pipes where the flute is on the record.

Guy, if you are reading, please make this happen!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:27 AM »
I agree Herlock. I am absolutely for total freedom of speech. But I would never send a post like this to GF either, disappointed or not. But he aired his disappointment and the Doc is always answering the right way
French philosopher Voltaire said (approximate translation): "I hate your ideas, but I will fight to death so that you have the right to express them". Freedom of speech is a dying concept in today's politically correct world. Yet it is worth preserving. I'd rather keep my "ennemies" inside rather than pushing them outside ;)
Actually I like this forum very much. I am relatively new to it, the site is very well organized, I have never read the rules until recently, only to find out that they are common sense and that I was naturally complying to them already. But sometimes common sense is not at all common :) It is nice to see admininistrators like Pottel applying the rules in a pragmatic rather than dogmatic way. Better the have strong rules applied liberally, rather than the other way round ;)
I admire Guy for not censoring any comment. I'm pretty sure the temptation is very strong sometimes. Or the one to say "go f*** yourself". That"s courageous indeed.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.