Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best SimfyLive Recording so far?  (Read 42579 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Best SimfyLive Recording so far?
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 12:43:43 PM »
Does anyone knows which brand of usb stick are they using for his recordings? I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
I like the Paris recording, but Nimes is fabulous altough it contains only 14 songs and not Coyote (but a longer Oe, Oe, Oe and Richard's Happy Birthday).
I will download the Lyon recording this evening... I don't know why it wasn't available earlier?
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
Agree.
I just switched from Paris to N

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »
Sultans of Swing from Amsterdam 1st night is a very powerful version.Was there myself!
About WAM , I think the US audience ones are much better,the flute totally ruined this song!
Don't know about other ones, as I only have Luxembourg and Amstedam so I can't really compare.

Love Expresso

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2010, 08:46:36 PM »
I think I am a minority here thinking that the flute fits well into WAM? There is one, or a synth-one, in the chorus of the album version, too, and I think this version is better than the 2008 one. Mixing is another thing: It might be too loud in the mix, that's true. But I think it is a good addition to the song.
In Speedway however I think the flute is totally wrong and Mike should have taken a break instead. Just my opinion.  ;)

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
I think I am a minority here thinking that the flute fits well into WAM?

Yes.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »
I think I am a minority here thinking that the flute fits well into WAM? There is one, or a synth-one, in the chorus of the album version, too, and I think this version is better than the 2008 one. Mixing is another thing: It might be too loud in the mix, that's true. But I think it is a good addition to the song.
In Speedway however I think the flute is totally wrong and Mike should have taken a break instead. Just my opinion.  ;)

LE

You're definately right about Speedway although the flute doesn't sound so loud at the actual concerts.  This is one instance where the Simfy recordings have failed miserably;  their inability to provide a decent sounding Speedway.  This is so annoying as versions from this tour are so great at the concerts but so disappointing when you hear them on the Simfy recording.  Other songs are fine but they haven't managed to master this one. 

I noticed on Guy's diary that the Simfy guy is leaving after Cordoba (so already left) so perhaps the few concerts left will sound slightly different or perhaps he will pass on some pre-sets to a collegue? :-\
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »

LE

You're definately right about Speedway although the flute doesn't sound so loud at the actual concerts.  This is one instance where the Simfy recordings have failed miserably;  their inability to provide a decent sounding Speedway.  This is so annoying as versions from this tour are so great at the concerts but so disappointing when you hear them on the Simfy recording.  Other songs are fine but they haven't managed to master this one. 

I noticed on Guy's diary that the Simfy guy is leaving after Cordoba (so already left) so perhaps the few concerts left will sound slightly different or perhaps he will pass on some pre-sets to a collegue? :-\

You are right, flute down, RB up, piece of piss. :)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »

LE

A bit harsh, the Nimes recording features a fabulous sounding Speedway... the flute adds to it I think, now when I llisten to the RLRR version I feel that something is missing (altough the female voice of EH is a big plus...)

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
I think the Simfy recordings sound really good. Better than any official Live CD.
With all the applause and mistakes. Nice.
The mix varies a bit from gig to gig.

To WAM: Yes, the flute sounds a bit strange in that song. Anyway I think there are a bit too much flute sounds at all.

When you like a louder RB mix take Oberhausen. Very loud Border Reiver rythm and also on BIA Richard sounds amazing.
Love will find a Way

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 01:20:48 PM »
When you like a louder RB mix take Oberhausen. Very loud Border Reiver rythm and also on BIA Richard sounds amazing.

It's really the power chords in Speedway that I miss.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 03:50:05 PM »

It's really the power chords in Speedway that I miss.

This is what I am telling from starts but I have reached the conclusion that RB power chord is so loud that the recording can't catch the dynamic of it, I remember how I was deceived when a 2001 live version of this track was released on a CD single and sounded so flat compared to the actual show. Should I add that also a mandolin part would be much better than the bouzouki rythm but 2nd part of the song is just extraordinaire live. And now they are just memories for me, Richard is such a wonderful player.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2010, 04:16:29 PM »
So, the RLRR version with EH is not that bad, after all ? ;)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »
No way, This speedway is definately the best ever IMO... That flute is just awsome!
It takes the song to a higher level, the solo is build up with the flute and than comes RB with
the power chords in combination with some flute 'licks'. Amazing version this tour.

Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineShoaib

• Local Hero
    • Mark Knopfler - The Legend
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2010, 08:07:38 AM »
No way, This speedway is definately the best ever IMO... That flute is just awsome!
It takes the song to a higher level, the solo is build up with the flute and than comes RB with
the power chords in combination with some flute 'licks'. Amazing version this tour.

Totally Agreed....
Mark Knopfler - The Legend [ www.timparsons.org.uk/knopfler ]

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 40 queries.