Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Hillfarmer's blues...  (Read 3363 times)

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
Hillfarmer's blues...
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:07:13 PM »
...is without doubt one of my favourites from both this and the last tour. However, I have never really come to understand what this song is about. I suppose Mark would say that it means to me what it means to me, but do any of you have any thoughts around the meaning of this great song?

:)
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Re: Hillfarmer's blues...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
Its about the Northumberland Hill Farmers who have a tough time doing there job.

Love Expresso

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
I always thought it was about a Hill farmer who plans to commit suicide because of the loss he suffered from foot and mouth disease - every thing that is mentioned  in the first lines is somewhat aggressive, dangerous and deathly - (chain for the ripsaw, killer for the weed, shells for the 12, razor wire...) So everything is dark and negative... Then musically, he starts driving into Tow Law, I imagine with a Truck or something, and he maybe plays with the thought of pushing it to an end and doing it.. Maybe also because the love of his life has cheated him... (see last paragraph). ("Don't wait up for me")

I love these lyrics very much... The landscape, the feeling, the desparation and the tristesse is painted here in a very great way.

And because Mark ended the album version so abrupt it made he think that maybe the suicide was done... The same way as in "News"...

But I could be totally wrong here. And maybe it is about something completely different...  ::) And Mark is only using these pictures to illustrate something...

One question from me btw:
"Behind my back Lord, you made a fool of me"
What does it mean? Is "Lord" here the one who is accused to have made a fool of the narrator or is it just a "Lord" that is used as a curse or sigh?
Always wondered...

LE
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:59:40 AM by Love Expresso »

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:43:54 PM »
You are right LE, it is based around the period when foot and mouth was about and the farmers saw there stock and livelihood destroyed.  There is an interview around where MK explains this.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies! :) Very interesting! I actually found the interview, and this is what Mark says about HB:

It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:53:58 AM »
Thanks for the story behind  this song.  It's my #1 most fav song of Mark.   I was totally in heaven when I heard it during GL tour.  Mark's guitar playing was absolutely sublime.   :) 

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »
Tow Law is the main market town for the community and it is where farmers would go for their feedstuffs and supplies. There is an auction there for livestock that farmers from all over the country go to (or used to - not sure if it is still thriving following foot and mouth).

Also - it would be the place they would go maybe on weekends to have a night out, a ho-down sort of thing.

It is also the highest town in England and although in County Durham it is not that far from the borders of Northumberland and Cumbria.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 40 queries.