Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ron Eve  (Read 13555 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Ron Eve
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »
and pete brewis just died.
found this pic made by him after reading about his passing on guy's site.
http://www.tommymandel.com/painter/NuPix5.html
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Jackal

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 03:50:51 PM »
Off topic, but ...

"And the winner in the category of Least User-friendly Website goes to ... TOMMY MANDEL!"

"And the winner in the category of Ugliest Web Design goes to ... TOMMY MANDEL!!"

"And the winner in the category of Excessive Use of Multi-Colored Fonts against Colored Backgrounds goes to ... TOMMY MANDEL!!!"

"Psst, Tommy, I'm afraid we're running of prizes here ..."

Have you guys ever seen such a terrible site???

Seems that he's writing an online book. Found this "Tommy Mandel, keyboard sideman to the greats: Mark Knopfler, (whom we diss at a later date), Bryan Adams, (not bad for a boss,) ..." http://www.tommymandel.com/mybookch1.html . Hmm ...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:01:04 PM by Jackal »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »
Just bumped into this from Tommy's Facebook page:
Brunno, a new friend here, asked me about the making of Alchemy with Dire Straits, and about the experience in general. Here's what I replied to him:

Hi Brunno! I learned so much in Dire Straits, about dynamics and subtle playing. That was the first time, also, that I was lucky enough to go to Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. (Since then, I've been there many times, but not lately!)
John Ilsley was a great gentleman, very tall, and always concerned that the quality of Dire Straits be protected, and that everyone was happy and able to do their best job. As the bassist and 2nd singer, he was the only other original member of the Straits that was still in the group with Mark.
Terry Williams was the new drummer: we were the new guys, and we spent a lot of time together. His father had a band that Bonnie Tyler used to sing for, in the old days, in Wales! He loved to play simple "Rockpile" style drums, and was amazing whatever he played, but for this tour, Mark wanted him to play in a style that was more dramatic. He did it! He was a great guy too.
Hal Lindes had been an American before moving to England and joining the group two or three years before I did. When I joined with the group, Hal was married to Mary, a lovely lady, who used to be married to Peter Frampton. All the girls loved Hal, because he was so young and cute. He played very very well too, of course! Some years later, he called and we met up in NYC and did some music there.
Everyone could play great, but my favorite musician in the group would have to be Alan Clark, the keyboard player who had put so many parts on the Love Over Gold CD, that they needed a 2nd guy in the band, to make sure that all, or most of the parts could be played live, and that was ME! Alan has a really great touch on the piano, and the organ, and the synthesizer, everything he touches, actually. He's played with Eric Clapton too. He came to see our show when Bryan Adams played his hometown, Newcastle On Tyne, and it was great to see him. He was always superfriendly, in a big brotherly way to me, and I was happy to take directions from him, because, well he was so talented, and also so nice. Funny too. He was kind of like James Bond, but not quite as tall or dark. He was saving up for an Audi during that tour, and I know he got it afterwards, because DS was pretty generous.
Mel Collins played the sax on that tour, and he'd played with Tears for Fears, and had some good stories to tell about them. He's a really good sax player. He had to give Mark Knopfler sax lessons after soundchecks, because Mark really liked the saxophone - he thought it was such an expressive instrument.
Joop de Korte, another cool dude, played percussion. I ran into him in NYC a few years back. He's from Holland, but lives in the States now, I think.
Peter Granger, the front-of-house sound mixer, was an English gentleman, he almost sounded like a professor when he talked. He tragically passed away in a heart-breaking way. His tiny daughter strayed out into the street, and he dove after her, and pushed her back to safety, but he wasn't as lucky, and the car ended his life. He and his American born wife, Nancy made me a lovely dinner in November, when we were doing the many rehearsals in Greenwich, London, which were necessary to put such a large show together.
Pete Brewis was Mark's roadie. He had the saddest grey eyes, but he sure knew his guitars!
Steve Flood was the boffin - he knew all about the electrical magic that powered our instruments and lights. He always had a smile on his face, like he knew something that you didn't. Which was probably true!
Charles Herrington was the cool lighting designer (the lights were very important to Mark Knopfler that tour, probably always...but the atmosphere they created was a big part of that show, with long songs such as Telegraph Road, and mysterious ones like Private Investigation.) I think Charles moved to Hoboken, NJ, USA a while back.
Ron Eves was my keyboard tech (and Alan Clark's too) - he's a rocket scientist that pretended to be a comedian. Or maybe a comedian who was also a rocket scientist as a hobby. He had so much to do, with the Synclavier, 2 Prophets, a Yamaha GS-1, a Hammond B3 organ, a Korg CX3 clonewheel organ, and somehow, it always worked!
Paul Cummings was the Road Manager, or Tour Manager, I forget exactly what his title was, but he was friendly, civilized, efficient, effective and I liked him a lot!
We stayed at fine hotels, drank good wine, saw lovely and sometimes exotic sights, and played some pretty good music. I got to meet Lady Di and Prince Charles. I'll tell you about that some other time, but it was fun. Duran Duran was there that night, but I'm not a huge DD fan. Except the rhythm guitarist could really move cool while he played! AndyTaylor, i think he was.
The manager, Ed Bicknell, was super funny too. He started out drumming in Mark Knopfler's band before Dire Straits! One of the Promoter's Agents, Paul Crockford, later on, got me backstage at a Roger Waters show in NYC, and I got to meet Eric Clapton again there. Thanks, Paul!
Mick Jones, from Foreigner, not my friend of the same name from Clash, has a brother Kevin, who went on to be the main Synthesizer Programmer for Nile Rogers. When we toured and recorded Alchemy, Kevin had some hard chores to do, but he always got em done, and never once blew his cool.
We had to stick to our parts - there wasn't one note that was spontaneous. That's what I kind of didn't understand about that group, but with 7 musicians, and really classy music to recreate, I guess that was Mark Knopfler's decision. As necessary as that must have been, it took some of the fun out of what was still, pretty much, a dream come true. But you know, when you're having the dream, when you're IN it, you don't always know it's a dream.
Hope this answers some of your questions, Brunno, take care, and thanks for stopping by! -
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 03:35:39 AM »
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 10:26:14 AM »
Not being the fan here (well, not a DS fan, anyway), I was unaware of TM's involvement with DS (or, if I read it somewhere, I had forgotten it). Anyway, even if the guy has a poor website, it was an interesting read.

As stated above, what is missing can be as important (even more important, on some occasions) than what is present. This was certainly the case in some of the work I used to do and I suspect it is true here.  What that omission indicates is speculation, however.

For me, one of TM's more interesting comments was right at the end - the lack of spontaneity in the live shows. Having seen DS live quite a few times (admittedly, on their later tours), this was not that much of a surprise to me but, for a musician to say that not a single note was spontaneous is unusual. OK, maybe it was an exagerration (someone in AMIT may be able to say one way or another) but it is indicative of an approach. And, as TM says, of MK's approach. For some here, it shows MK's professionalism and his commitment to giving an audience a good show each night and every night.  For someone like me, however, who attended many a jazz session in the pubs and clubs around London in his youth, the effect is very different. I like to see and hear musicians stretch out, to move out of their comfort zones and to express the moment (not some "moment" worked up in the rehearsal studio months earlier, however good). The few fluffs that result, even the occasional longueurs, are the price you pay for those other moments  - moments of sheer creative brilliance, there on stage before your very eyes, unique moments. "Catch it if you can" moments. 

Love Expresso

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 10:57:55 AM »
I always thought it was for MK alone to change his playing now and then... there are very different approaches guitar wise on the DS shows I remember, or have seen on the TV... whereas the band had indeed to lay down the musical carpet for him. Sultans from Basel and Sultans from Nimes are very different, Ride Across The River from Houston is very different to Ride Across the River from Sydney and so on... So it is a real BAND these days more than ever. They never had so much freedom to play as in 2013 me thinks. Anyway, MK was never very spontaneous..
I listened to Sonny Liston from Helsinki the other day - and was surprised that nobody from AMIT has mentioned so far how very different it is to other verions (must have to do with the common unpopularity of that song)...

But how did we come to Sonny Liston from Tommy Mandel from a Ron Eve thread...  ::)

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »
Having commented on my early experience of live shows, let me add another caveat. I don't much listen to DS, NHB or MK on disc, so most of my experience is of live shows. My knowledge is therefore limited. When songs are played live, for example, I often don't know which album a particular song comes from.
Ok, let me move on.

I agree that things have been just a bit different this year. I applaud that and hope the trend continues.

I also appreciate the way in which MK gives the band members, literally and metaphorically, their moments in the spotlight. But how much "freedom" do they really have?

"MK was never very spontaneous" - an interesting comment. Why is this? Is it part of his character? Does he consider that, having found the way he wants to play a particular solo or whatever, then that it is? Is there no other way to play it?  Can it be a lack of self-confidence? Surely not. 

I should add that, while "Mr Bob" shows have generally been more variable (in length, content, quality etc), I would not absent him from similar comments at times.

Finally, I stress that it is MK's absolute right to play which songs he wants, how he wants and when he wants. Nothing I have written here is intended to abrogate that right (or my comments in other topics)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:06:00 AM by twm »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
I can relate some of your points TWM and like yourself I rarely listen to the studio albums, much preferring the live shows as a listening experience.

Mark has always had, in his solos, a certain what can only be described as a structure in what he plays.  Take Sultans OES tour versions for instance.  In the second solo (just after the lyrics end) he will usually do those 6 little notes before take-off (so to speak) then a little arpeggio, the band just playing back up in the comfort that all is well.  Then he would go into some improvisation, the band getting worried (where's he going here :hmm)!  Then the bit where he played at the top of the fretboard - sorry, I don't know any of the technical terms here, I hope you know where I'm at - the band now more comfortable knowing this familiar part.  Then onto more improvisation which usually involved more string bending and vibrato.  He would then let the band know he was going to finish the improvisation with the usual line in every version so the band would be ready to break down for the interlude.

So safe, yes but with plenty of improvisation around the basic structure too.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 04:35:55 PM »
Mark uses a lot of Little tricks to let the band know were they are during a song, from the DS period till know.
Most of the time he uses his guitar by playing a recognizable "riff" or something else so the band knows when any change arrives.
off course all the band members are told during rehearsals which guitar-mark that is so they will recognize it and they don't got lost, that's why the song always reach its end ( as long as band member doesn't stop playing. ;D )
There are plenty to mention (which I will not)...but a good one to listen to is "Calling Elvis"" (OES-tour) though its played in a simply three chord blues progression there are recognizable marks in that song so the band knows were they are .
Ever asked your self why the band starts perfectly at the same time after Danny's percussion intro during calling elvis?(OES tour)........its 4 counts after Marks mumbles....."ahhhh" or "one..."  every night. ( ok not a guitar mark  ;D)

here a guitar-mark during calling elvis , so the band knows they are going in another subsequence , in this case Mark does a very nice lick 4 times ,were he hammers on/ off his guitar string in second (3th)and fourth position , the band knows he is gonna slide up the B5 chord up one octave , the end of the improvisation ,back to business.

the 4 times repeated lick starts at 05.50 min
(also check the " ahhhhh"/"one...") and the 4 counts before the bands hits in at the start.

people may not find this very interesting , which I can understand :-[

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:38:34 PM by enlight »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
Once again, a posting of mine has gone adrift. In brief, then....

I said that structure is essential to musicians but it's what happens in the spaces between that is really interesting. And I praised MK's broadening of his music by drawing on Celtic and folk influences, saying that it really suits his voice. 

I also mentioned a venture into unstructured music (Ornette Coleman free-forming at the Royal Albert Hall with a caterwauling Yoko Ono in tow) that I really did not get.  I didn't mention but could have added attending a Jimmy Giuffre Three performance at the Finsbury Park Astoria, when they were free-form (and went way beyond The Train and The River as in "Jazz On A Summer's Day") and just lost me - the evening being saved for me by Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, who topped the bill. No, unstructured music is not for me.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
I more replied to DMG comment that the band members were worried to get lost and the tricks to avoid that. 

I forgot to mention that I agree with most of the points you made :wave

Love Expresso

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
Whaaa, great version of Calling Elvis, have not listened/watched it for several years...  :thumbs

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
Mark uses a lot of Little tricks to let the band know were they are during a song, from the DS period till know.
Most of the time he uses his guitar by playing a recognizable "riff" or something else so the band knows when any change arrives.
off course all the band members are told during rehearsals which guitar-mark that is so they will recognize it and they don't got lost, that's why the song always reach its end ( as long as band member doesn't stop playing. ;D )
There are plenty to mention (which I will not)...but a good one to listen to is "Calling Elvis"" (OES-tour) though its played in a simply three chord blues progression there are recognizable marks in that song so the band knows were they are .
Ever asked your self why the band starts perfectly at the same time after Danny's percussion intro during calling elvis?(OES tour)........its 4 counts after Marks mumbles....."ahhhh" or "one..."  every night. ( ok not a guitar mark  ;D)

here a guitar-mark during calling elvis , so the band knows they are going in another subsequence , in this case Mark does a very nice lick 4 times ,were he hammers on/ off his guitar string in second (3th)and fourth position , the band knows he is gonna slide up the B5 chord up one octave , the end of the improvisation ,back to business.

the 4 times repeated lick starts at 05.50 min
(also check the " ahhhhh"/"one...") and the 4 counts before the bands hits in at the start.

people may not find this very interesting , which I can understand :-[

I have actually noticed all of these things for years but could never have put it quite so superbly down in words Enlight! ;)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
Whaaa, great version of Calling Elvis, have not listened/watched it for several years...  :thumbs

LE

Never really fancied this version - kinda rough.  Woburn Abbey is much better, e.g. (pity about the poor mix where Mark's guitar is inaudible behind the loud percussion) and there are so many other better versions.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 10:40:13 PM »
don't bother DMG it cost me three weeks to write it down.
the Basel was the first version I run into on you-tube , it had no special reason.

maybe that I can spell Basel better than your mentioned version ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 44 queries.