Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Golden Heart  (Read 9688 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Golden Heart
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »
had my ipod on shuffle, so i can constantly hear new songs (got 120GB on it) and all of the sudden i heard this great intro......je suis desol
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Golden Heart
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:51:51 PM »
Yeah, maybe a bit overproduced by MK's standards today, but lots of good songs, and of course, a great (the best IMO) tour.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:02:34 PM »
Listened to that album last week. A bit of patchworks, imho underestimated because of its lacks of unity, but there are really good songs on it such as GH and AWITN.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
No can do has been one of my favourite MK songs, totally underated in my opinion.  Works really well live as well.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »
yup, no can do,...boy ohboy... and so does don't you get it. heavily underrated.
then there's the b-sides, my claim to fame, long highway (ok, that was already written and performed many times before, but released on this one)

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »
I like that album a lot and listen to it fairly frequently. I love Je Suis Desole. I like the drum intro on Cannibals. Pretty much, I like all of the album.
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »
I like very much "Don`t you get it", even although it has such stupid lyrics... Great interaction between Mark and Chad. Bet they recorded this "live", or a
at "one take"...

LE

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 06:30:04 AM »
GH is a really great album with many many beautiful songs.  I like je suis desole too.  I feel good being able to sing in French.  My favorite album now is RPD.  It's interesting that Mark chose to play so many songs from this album on this tour. ;)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »
long highway (ok, that was already written and performed many times before, but released on this one)

Was on the What It Is single if memory serves, not GH era. :)

Watching Thank You Australia & NZ last week it was funny to hear the No Can Do riff come up AGAIN (also used it with Clapton), clearly come GH time he thought it was too good a riff to waste. :)

I hate Don't You get It, banal lyrics piss me off.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
I have just installed new speakers in my car, and have been listening to this album a lot, I feel its still very special as it was Mark's 1st solo album and I can remember being so excited on the day it was released waiting to hear what MK sounded like opposed to Dire Straits, and Darling Pretty has been a real favourite of mine ever since, I'd love to hear it live again.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
Yup, I remember being very excited when I bought the album in 1996. I was somewhat troubled with the change of direction, but got used to it. They are parts that I liked more than others. "Cannibals" is too similar to WOL which I don't like. Immelda is too similiar to Heavy Fuel. I mean the DS-like songs were not the best of DS... but there are some gems. I was touched with Rudiger (superb song, no matter what you guys say :p) and the title track (a pitty it is not played live anymore).
While I like the album very much, I still think that STP, TRD (which has grown to be my favourite of all, agree with you Sweetsurrender, the most underrated album ever) and GL were even better solo efforts. But I like it better than SL and KTGC.
And of course the tour was great. Too bad it was too early for SAN to be played !

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 12:38:45 PM »
I love Golden Heart too, but there are a couple of skippers for me, "No Can Do" and "Don't You Get It".  I have skipped these two for so many years, that perhaps it's time to listen a bit more and they will eventually grow on me!   Apart from those two tracks, I really love the album, but my favourite solo album of all is still RPD, followed by Get Lucky.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
only one skipper for me in the whole knopf repertoire, R&J
 :lol
oh i forgot fish and the bird..and also Shangri la...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »
Yup, I remember being very excited when I bought the album in 1996. I was somewhat troubled with the change of direction, but got used to it. They are parts that I liked more than others. "Cannibals" is too similar to WOL which I don't like. Immelda is too similiar to Heavy Fuel. I mean the DS-like songs were not the best of DS... but there are some gems. I was touched with Rudiger (superb song, no matter what you guys say :p) and the title track (a pitty it is not played live anymore).
While I like the album very much, I still think that STP, TRD (which has grown to be my favourite of all, agree with you Sweetsurrender, the most underrated album ever) and GL were even better solo efforts. But I like it better than SL and KTGC.
And of course the tour was great. Too bad it was too early for SAN to be played !
That's pretty much exactly how I feel about the album and tour in a nutshell (except perhaps your Rudiger thoughts; not a bad song exactly but not a good live song IMO).  

I've started listening to some of my GH bootlegs due to this thread and it came to my attention that there are only really a handful of good quality recordings from the tour apart from the soundboards which is a real pity.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »
I like the album but Done with boneyhead does my nut in,it wasnt too bad when you heard it now & again but I've grown to dislike it since MK has decided to play it on every tour.
Come to think of it I havent listened to RPD in ages,I just took STP out of the cd player in the car 2 weeks ago & replaced it with the 1st cd of Alchemy - will my kids be brain washed or what:o :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 40 queries.