Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What is gonna be the next??  (Read 4708 times)

Offlinedannyjun

• Camerado
What is gonna be the next??
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »
Hi all,

in spite of the fact I am very busy these days, I search Guy

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
Re: What is gonna be the next??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »
Hi dannyjun!

While browsing the forum I was thinking about that topic too. But I'm quite sure that there won't be a long(er) break. I mean, look at his studio: He built such a magnificent toy and also the fact that he made a little extra studio in the backroom for himself to use when the huge console is used by other artists tells me that he is about to spend some time there. And I've read a lot that he is writing and composing all the time, I assume he won't be running out of ideas. Another point worth mentioning is, that GF is currently involved in a lot of other projects and accordingly GF and MK could have agreed on a time slot after the Princes Trust Show.

Ok, he has also a family to take care of, so there might be a cut in touring. Who knows, perhaps he is going to tour every four years now for a shorter period?

These thoughts take me to another point - how will the next 'thing' be? To be honest, I hope that he continues the way he took with KTGC and (nearly) brought to perfection with GL. I like the folk influences, there is a certain "Britishness" in it, a sophisticated and well composed atmosphere that I love.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineBombur

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:54:33 AM »
Ummmmm! I am not sure there is going to be a new album anytime soon - and certainly not in the same time scales we have seen in the past. Reasons? Guy's comments at the end of the GL tour, Mark's general well-being, him not wanting a same sort of routine too much of the time and what Guy is up to at the moment! There was talk of Mark doing a soundtrack so he may be working on that but the year running ahead of us all, it would not appear that the guys are going to be getting together soon to record which means that 2011 may well go bye without the salivating and anticipatory levels starting to rise! May be wrong and hope I am but just this nagging thought in my head. . . .. . . . .

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »
Hi Bombur!    I feel the same as you do, but I really hope the film soundtrack is in the pipeline.   Guy is particularly quiet these days, but he is busy with his own work - remixes, etc and the concert later this month.   It feels strange that we have nothing in particular to look forward to in 2011 at the moment, especially after the last few years of activity, but who knows what might happen!   We do have the Legends programme coming during Autumn/Winter on BBC4 to look forward to, though.   :D

BTW Welcome to this forum - I hope you will enjoy being with us all!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBombur

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »
Yo - thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to adding some comments about all things Knopfler! We'll see what the future holds! Who knows, Mark may give us all the Xmas present we would want! A double album for 2011!

Smiles to all!

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:00:31 PM »
I have had so little time lately on the computer, I can't keep up.   I hope he is working on that soundtrack.   It was mentioned several months ago and just disappeared.   I'm sounding very stupid, but BBC4 Legends program????  Is that the one that's been in the works for a while with requested photos and things like that?
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »
I have had so little time lately on the computer, I can't keep up.   I hope he is working on that soundtrack.   It was mentioned several months ago and just disappeared.   I'm sounding very stupid, but BBC4 Legends program????  Is that the one that's been in the works for a while with requested photos and things like that?

Yes, IrisRose, the Legends programme is that one!   ;D     I don't think it's going to be in the November schedule though, at least not as far as November 16th!    I really hope we get something extra when it is broadcast, like a concert.  Maybe, fingers crossed, Montreux!    :P    The most recent ones in the Legends series were Jimi Hendrix and last week Joan Sutherland.  This month it is John Dankworth.  All of these had extra programmes running alongside, so I am hoping.........  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:00:29 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »

Hello Bombur, welcome to the AMIT site and thank you for your message!  IF you need information about Mark, then you are at the right place here with this wonderful group of friends and fans.;)

I also am worried a bit, because it is too quiet around Mark. It might be that after having such a sore back last Tour, that Mark is a bit more careful and will visit less places next Tour, something I would understand. After all we know that he didn't want to disappoint the fans and continued touring, while every other person would lay in bed because of the pain. .........Well I hope I am wrong and who knows he might be very busy already and working at a new album!

Quote Superval: "We do have the Legends programme coming during Autumn/Winter on BBC4 to look forward to, though.   Cheesy"

Uuuhhh just like IrisRose I didn't have much time to read here either, so I wanted to ask the same question!

Mark sure is a legend and I really hope there will be a program about him for at least one hour, although I wouldn't mind when it would be a program for one day or week! I even would take off work for that!

Please let me know when this programm will be on TV!

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »
After the GL tour, I was checking Guy's forum almost every day.  Now I check it about once a week because, as Val says, he has been strangely quiet.  I also think he has sounded sort of grumpy ever since the tour ended.  Maybe he knows something we don't know .... :(

It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »
After the GL tour, I was checking Guy's forum almost every day.  Now I check it about once a week because, as Val says, he has been strangely quiet.  I also think he has sounded sort of grumpy ever since the tour ended.  Maybe he knows something we don't know .... :(

speculation imho.
i personally notice no change in his replies.
let's hold our breaths...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »
I`m really going to cry, yes i`m serious, if this will be the last album or tour. I missed the last one because of school, and IF it is the last I`ll never forgive that myself...
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineBombur

• Guitar George
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 04:47:26 AM »
You know what I think? I think Mark said to the guys at the end of the last tour, 'Okay, that is it for 2010!' I'm taking a break, getting back into shape, spend some time with the family, fiddle on a few six strings and generally re-charge'. Hence the lack of news. But, I am sure that music is so deeply embedded in this guy's DNA that there is something else to come. Once January is here, I am sure the recording buttons at BG will be being pressed like never before and before 2011 is out, I shall be listening to the man's guitars on my music system once more!

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 07:46:29 AM »
As far as writing songs, I don't think Mark will ever stop.  It's so much part of his life.  Touring, I'm confident that we'll see at least 1 if not more.  Hopefully in the next few years.  I'll be soooo saddddd  if he ever stops doing both, then it will be like the end of the world to me !!! :'(

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 10:20:22 AM »
Once a musician, always a musician!    I agree with Bombur - music is in MK's soul - that doesn't go away!    He may slow down a bit and do shorter tours, but I can't see him stopping writing songs and recording them in his beloved studio.    He has said many times that this is what he loves and he will do it until he falls over! 

Yes, Lars, I will cry too, if it is the end, but I really can't believe it is.    :) 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »
Speculations are something that are allowed in a fan forum, aren't they?  ;)

So here is one:

I asked Guy this week if we can expect some news still in 2010, and his answer was as blury as you can imagine: "when there is some...you'll get it"
which was of course not answering my question about 2010, you know?

So what about this take:
Mark told the band that he changes his way of work in the next years in a very dramatic way: He could work on a new album all alone, really solo, without band. Just the man and the guitar. Or we really could get a Dire Straits "mini"-reunion - I do not want it, I hope not for it, but who knows? All those activities from those older band members, there is something boiling on... And who knows what contractual details would have to be solved in that case... And Guy was never keen of a DS reunion as far as I can see...

Do not take this post too serious....

But seriously, I really think that Guy is somehow "out of the game"... And why not? Why should Mark really play with the same constellations for decades and decades? Why not trying to change something? The reason could be that the last tour was so good that it can't get any better... So
maybe he wants something new, a new beginning, some new style of work...

LE  ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 40 queries.