Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Shangri-la studio is on sale  (Read 4680 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

Re: Shangri-la studio is on sale
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »
vintage hd flat on the wall.

LE
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:01:58 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
Now we know the reason why MK is not going to mix the new record until early 2012? LOL

I'm quite sure that part of the inspiration when he built British Grove was this Shangri-la studio.

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »
Not sure about it. Guy once wrote that MK was really planning his new studio for ages and had it in his mind for at least 10, 15 years...

LE

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »
Not sure about it. Guy once wrote that MK was really planning his new studio for ages and had it in his mind for at least 10, 15 years...

LE

Oh dear, he's really that slow, reminds me of myself.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »

LE

Plans his studios pretty much like he cuts albums then! :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
I find it somehow very promising that he breaks the routine this time and takes his time for this album. Here's some hope that some great stuff will emerge.

The last three albums, you could really take a look at your calendar/diary and say, January, Guy starts a new diary, now it's Feb/March, they do sessions, now it's May, mixing time, at August 1st we got knowledge of the album title, two weeks later of the track titles and mid august we had the first snippets for a release in September/October... That was the same with Shangri-La, Kill To Get Crimson and Get Lucky - more or less.

There is much more vibe and thrill about the new album this time. I hope it will be worth the wait!

LE

OnlineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
Im sure Guy said he had been with MK in the studios for months preparing the new songs.  I thought with the last 3 albums that process was a couple of weeks.  So either that has something to do with the mystery or these songs maybe more elaborate.  Which is something he has cringed about in recent years when discussing songs like telegraph road.

Love Expresso

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
Yeah, that's right. As good as the recent bands  however are in producing "one takes", this method seems to get in the way of somewhat more elaborate songs. The song structures have become simpler and simpler - from my amateurish point of view. It would be great if at least some of the new songs would be a little bit more "complicated" in the good sense of the word.

LE
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:04:58 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »
I find it somehow very promising that he breaks the routine this time and takes his time for this album. Here's some hope that some great stuff will emerge.

The last three albums, you could really take a look at your calendar/diary and say, January, Guy starts a new diary, now it's Feb/March, they do sessions, now it's May, mixing time, at August 1st we got knowledge of the album title, two weeks later of the track titles and mid august we had the first snippets for a release in September/October... That was the same with Shangri-La, Kill To Get Crimson and Get Lucky - more or less.

There is much more vibe and thrill about the new album this time. I hope it will be worth the wait!

LE

Of course, once again you're right LE.  While I mock I don't stop to think that it always does good in all walks of life to break the monotiny and while we waited longer for albums like STP it proved to be a very fine one indeed (IMO anyway).  Then again, to contradict this we only waited one year for great albums like Communique and MM so...
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »
I remember that Mk said he visited Shangri-la studios before he recorded RPD in Nashville. He considered that SL was a very nice studio but that he needed something else for RPD.

By that time was when he started to design exactly what he wanted for British Grove (I read that around 2001-2002, and British Grove started to be operative about 2004 more or less), and he wanted a mix between everything modern from the Nashville studios and all the vintage stuff from Shangri-la studios, creating a studio that blended all the modern and vintage techniques of recording.

Of course the studio idea was in MK's head long before, I

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 47 queries.