Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Montreux DVD  (Read 15940 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Montreux DVD
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »
Hi,
Just received a reply to my mail to Montreux staff:
Yes, this concert was recorded, but no DVD released is planned at the moment.

So abrupt... When i see all these Nice BR from sting, clapton, U2, depeche mode...:(

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Montreux DVD
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
Hi Herlock!   Thank you for asking, anyway.   Let's hope we get a release before too long!   It's very frustrating when we know that there's an official recording around and we can't see it!    :'(
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »
Hi Herlock!   Thank you for asking, anyway.   Let's hope we get a release before too long!   It's very frustrating when we know that there's an official recording around and we can't see it!    :'(

Even more frustrating when Sky Arts keep showing that AOL Sessions from Basel 2007, one of their worst performances ever - that tape should be scrapped!

However I got the Radio Times yesterday and was welcomed by a nice suprise when a large picture of MK from BIA days greeted me (p. 113) and the Life In Songs show gets into the pick of todays TV section!  The show is also followed by the Jools Holland broadcast from 1996 lasting 70mins.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:57:44 PM »
Hi dmg!   I totally agree about the Basel 2007 show.   Although there were a couple of good performances eg Postcards and a beautiful BIA, on the whole this was not a good performance and I thought MK looked very tired or perhaps not feeling too well!  A much better performance was the Berlin 2007 show imo. 

Thanks for alerting me to the Radio Times, which I don't usually buy, but on this occasion I will make an exception!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:48:47 PM »

Even more frustrating when Sky Arts keep showing that AOL Sessions from Basel 2007, one of their worst performances ever - that tape should be scrapped!

However I got the Radio Times yesterday and was welcomed by a nice suprise when a large picture of MK from BIA days greeted me (p. 113) and the Life In Songs show gets into the pick of todays TV section!  The show is also followed by the Jools Holland broadcast from 1996 lasting 70mins.

If somebody could get a good capture of the Jools show then that would be the best quality source of Sultans (cut from the DVD I think).
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y38fc

According to this, looks like Sultans may not be played!    :-\   :'(

I hope I'm wrong!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
huh?
copy and paste:
Jools Holland introduces a one-off studio session from Dire Straits lead singer Mark Knopfler. Featuring songs from his debut solo album Golden Heart, plus Dire Straits hits like Sultans of Swing,.....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:46 PM »
huh?
copy and paste:
Jools Holland introduces a one-off studio session from Dire Straits lead singer Mark Knopfler. Featuring songs from his debut solo album Golden Heart, plus Dire Straits hits like Sultans of Swing,.....
oops, now i noticed, below it says "music played" and there SoS is missing....shit..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »
Is it the same stuff that the "A night in London" DVD ?
Strange enough, Mark in 10 years older on the RLRR DVD, but it seems the other way round: he is so fresh and energetic in 2006, and looks so tired in 1996... maybe this was just this night, Vaison later in the tour is so full of energy, they should have filmed this night !
Any idea if TR was ever filmed during Mark's solo career (except for last year Montreux) ?
And any idea why SoS and MFN were on the VHS tape, but not the DVD ? maybe because these were included on the live aid dvd which was released at the same time ?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »
The "A Night in London" DVD is 1hr 55 mins long, but the length of the programme is only 70 mins long, so if it is the DVD, it is only a part.  It also says that MFN will be played, but this is not on the DVD so, I'm at a loss!    :-\   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »
If memory serve me, the BBC have shown an edited version of the Night In London a few times over the years so this is no real surprise.  It does hint in the Radio Times that MK will give us some guitar licks in the studio though and that will be the real highlight of the show! :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »
The "A Night in London" DVD is 1hr 55 mins long, but the length of the programme is only 70 mins long, so if it is the DVD, it is only a part.  It also says that MFN will be played, but this is not on the DVD so, I'm at a loss!    :-\   
MFN (and SOS) were on the VHS, but not on the DVD. For reasons only known to hugly bureaucrats, I suppose... maybe for fear of competition to the "Live Aid" dvds that were released at the same time and featured precisely SoS and MFN ?

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »
It does hint in the Radio Times that MK will give us some guitar licks in the studio though and that will be the real highlight of the show! :)

Now that could be really exciting. Or it is some elder material from the (magnificent) show "BBC Story Of The Guitar" or something like that.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »
I have set the topbox to record already on the 28th at 2100 for 'A life in songs' and also the folowing Jools Holland session which 'WILL' include SOS!!

From the tv information already on the programme details:

2100 - 2200Mark Knopfler - A life in songs;
'With photographs and footage, in which musician Mark Knopfler talks about how his songs have defined him and how they have been influenced by his own life and roots'

2200 - 2310Later presents Mark Knopfler:
'Jools Holland introduces a studio session from Dire Straits lead singer Mark Knopfler, featuring songs from his debut solo album 'Golden Heart', plus hits like 'Sultans of Swing'
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
Hi Knopflerfan - I'm not so sure about SOS being played!  If you scroll down a bit further to "Music Played", SOS isn't mentioned!

The DVD "A Night in London" is 1hr 55mins long (excluding SOS and MFN) and the Jools programme, advertised, is only 70 mins long, so there will be many songs omitted.   The list of songs given, amount to around that length of time and SOS is very long, perhaps too long for the programme. 

As I said before, I really hope I'm wrong!   :-\   Trying to be optimistic, though!    ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:19:06 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.