Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Straits Charity in RAH?  (Read 163639 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: "DS" Charity in RAH?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »
I reckon the casual fan is only interested in hearing the song being played and seeing the main man.  After all he is "the voice and guitar of Dire Straits," now where have I heard that before!  I really don't think that casual fans, and that's the majority, are that interested in the rest of the band.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKay Edvin

• Camerado
  • MK - my hero!
    • MK Norge (Norwegian MK Fanclub)
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 03:02:04 PM »
If Mark, John and Guy had joined them I would have travelled from Norway to see them.
But if Alan, Chris and Phil + some others are playing DS songs I would never go...
MK is DS...

But if some of the guys did their own work it had been interesting...not to hear them play MKs songs...
"The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears"

OfflineGeordieboy

• Local Hero
  • Forever Mark
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
...three band members, and two of them more or less "loose" members of DS....

This is just another poor try of old DS members to attract some attention or to fight boredom...

LE

Totally agree with you. Shame on it....."soooo bad, soooo bad, soooooo bad".

Marco

draad

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »
A lot of rich London folk just look for "a night out" and a charity do at the RAH with a bit of music thrown in can fit the bill for these guys. A nice box and a good hospitality package etc etc. If it's marketed well it might do OK. I hope so.

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 03:18:46 PM »
I reckon the casual fan is only interested in hearing the song being played and seeing the main man.  After all he is "the voice and guitar of Dire Straits," now where have I heard that before!  I really don't think that casual fans, and that's the majority, are that interested in the rest of the band.

Interesting comment dmg, because i find the opposite is true.
I count myself as a 'Hardcore' DS/MK fan of over 30 years, and of course Mark is the reason 99% of people (including me) go to his concerts etc...
But for me, i'd happily go and see a band if one of the ex members, or someone who has collaborated with Mark is playing, even though Mark is not.
I have seen John Illsley with Chris White in his band in London a couple of times.
Also i have been to see Dennis Locorriere (from Dr Hook) just because Pick Withers was in his band.
Pick was also the drummer in a band recently called Gary Fletchers Blues band, who i went to see, again, only because Pick was there.
Although the excitement levels wern't quite as high as seeing Mark, it was still great to hear his style of drumming, and tieing it in with the early DS sound.
A few years back, i saw George Michael with my wife. Now this wasn't because i like George Michael. ( Give me some credit) ;D
But because Danny Cummings was on percussion, and Phil Palmer was on guitar.
I even got tickets to see Jimmy Nail. Not only because Mark performed on the 'Big River' song, but because Marcus Cliffe from the Notting Hillbillies was playing bass.
For me, seeing anyone who has been importantly connected with Mark is a great thrill.

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineGeordieboy

• Local Hero
  • Forever Mark
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 03:23:25 PM »
Maybe your approach is better then mine...but for me: No Mark, No Sultan(s) :disbelief

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »
Don't get me wrong though, of course Mark Knopfler is THE single most important thing as far as THE sound and THE voice is concerned, but i still get a real buzz seeing ex members or even DS/MK tribute bands, of which i have seen a few.
I would happily go to this gig at the RAH, not just because they are ex members but they played a very important role in the sound, in particular Alan Clark for his great keyboard additions in the early experimental 80's DS live band.

I LOVE EVERYTHING TO DO WITH EVERYTHING ds & mk RELATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D :) :) ;) ;) :-* :-*

Cheers   BBB

And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
So maybe Eric is "special guest"?

LE

OfflineGeordieboy

• Local Hero
  • Forever Mark
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »
I would call myself a hard-core fan, not a casual fan and for me, Mark is everything and I just wouldn't be interested if he wasn't there!   That sense of excitement and thrill would be missing entirely.   I know there are some very good tribute bands out there, but Mark is and was DS and nobody else will do, even if they have been associated with him at some time.

I

Well said. Point by point.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »
I reckon the casual fan is only interested in hearing the song being played and seeing the main man.  After all he is "the voice and guitar of Dire Straits," now where have I heard that before!  I really don't think that casual fans, and that's the majority, are that interested in the rest of the band.

I count myself as a 'Hardcore' DS/MK fan of over 30 years, and of course Mark is the reason 99% of people (including me) go to his concerts etc...
But for me, i'd happily go and see a band if one of the ex members, or someone who has collaborated with Mark is playing, even though Mark is not.
I have seen John Illsley with Chris White in his band in London a couple of times.
Also i have been to see Dennis Locorriere (from Dr Hook) just because Pick Withers was in his band.
Pick was also the drummer in a band recently called Gary Fletchers Blues band, who i went to see, again, only because Pick was there.
Although the excitement levels wern't quite as high as seeing Mark, it was still great to hear his style of drumming, and tieing it in with the early DS sound.
A few years back, i saw George Michael with my wife. Now this wasn't because i like George Michael. ( Give me some credit) ;D
I even got tickets to see Jimmy Nail. Not only because Mark performed on the 'Big River' song, but because Marcus Cliffe from the Notting Hillbillies was playing bass.
For me, seeing anyone who has been importantly connected with Mark is a great thrill.

Cheers   BBB
That's what I meant by my comment;  that only the hardcore's like you and I would be interested in the other band members.  If I lived locally I would go along but it's too far to travel for me.  If Mark was there I might make an effort mind you!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »
So maybe Eric is "special guest"?

LE

EC has done stuff for Lord Tavener's before, so not out of the question I guess.

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/archive/616953/Fundraising-News-Lord-aposs-Taverners-rock-concerts/?DCMP=ILC-SEARCH
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Jackal

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »
http://www.thestraits.com/home.php

the homepage has their version of Money for Nothing

mmmmm

Although I'm really tired of this song, I must say they did a pretty good job out of it. And it's only from the rehearsals. I'm not sure what to think about the lead singer - I'm so used to hearing Mark's voice - but it's kind of nice to hear someone with more oomph in their voice than Mark's.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »

Cheers   BBB
That's what I meant by my comment;  that only the hardcore's like you and I would be interested in the other band members.  If I lived locally I would go along but it's too far to travel for me.  If Mark was there I might make an effort mind you!

Exactly!  Mark has to be there to make the difference! 

Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2011, 07:23:41 PM »
Because Mark IS the difference!  :P :D

LE

Guy is updating at the moment, at least the queries...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 46 queries.