Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits reunion in 2015 or 2016?  (Read 27044 times)

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
Re: Dire Straits reunion in 2015 or 2016?
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
I agree Val, but the problem is that it's not Phil or John or whoever will join will say this, it's the promotors, the journalists and so on who will  talk about that all the time. I hope they will choose another name as well. But pretty sure the posters and articles will not talk about that, they will only mention DS all the time.

I also feel that Mark should be mentioned somewhere in the show as the composer of the songs, even though he may not be present.

Steady now. I can imagine a concert poster with very small font in composer word and huge in MK

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2015, 02:02:28 PM »
If the band will have ex DS members and they play DS songs, the name DS has to be there, it just makes sense... the band name has to be a reference to what they play so fans could easily know what they are gonna listen...

The Straits was too close to the real name, but there was a difference anyway. "Dire Straits Legends" or "DS experience" have the whole band name but with an extra word that makes clear what they are... whatever they call themselfs people will always get confused about it...

The Spanish cover band "Brothers In Band" announce themselfs with that name and the subtitle "The Very Best of Dire Straits Show"... I got phone calls from some of my friends telling me that Dire Straits were playing in my town despite announcing them as "Brothers In Band", people gets confuse anyway.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
MK will get some fees because of his rights, same as he will get from the shows of John Illsley in the Netherlands.
And be realistic, everyone knows who the composer is. And .... any regular coverband, marriageband etc don't mention any composernames of the songs they are playing, otherwise it wasn't a band but a talking group also playing some songs  ;D

And indeed Jbaent, people who don't follow DS/MK as close as we do (so the other 99,999999% of the population) will be confused. And every promotor, hall or whatever will use the word DS where they can to attract as much people as they can. It's their right.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2015, 02:26:50 PM »
MK will get some fees because of his rights, same as he will get from the shows of John Illsley in the Netherlands.

This is maybe a bit offtopic, but I think that you can play cover songs without paying any fees. It

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »
As far as I know the venue pays (in the Netherlands) to Buma/Stemra, they pay at the international fee-committe (whatever it's called) and they pay the artist. We concluded that MK would have got about GBP 0,10 or so from the Netherlands  ;D
Don't know how it works exactly, but I think those committees cost more than they pay to artists ::)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »
At the end of the day surely it's the intention to deceive by use of the similar name that would be wrong and although I have been against The Straits from the very start, I wouldn't like to think the name was chosen for that purpose.  It should have been better thought through though.  "The Straits" was also a nickname used by many of us, including MK, for the real band!

The "Dire Straits Legends" one is a well chosen name and makes it clear.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »
"Dire Straits Legends"    :thumbsup     :)

Goin' into Tow Law....

pete_w

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2015, 03:32:39 PM »
The thing is though that when The Straits (the tribute band) were active, they were featured in quite a few newspapers and stuff and said "we are are few ex-members plus others that want to keep alive and celebrate the legacy of DS and the music of MK". Something to that effect.

Whatever John and Phil and the others get established, and with Chris White and Terence Reis doing their DS Experience thing in Australia, the chances are big that there will be confusion as they all offer more or less the same thing. Really a strange situation.

Not to mention all the various Italian configurations that have involved one or more ex-DS members.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
Here's a crazy idea but why don't all the ex-member bands get together and have one big band where they could each come on stage at various points during the concert to rapturous applause and do their thing for a few songs.  That would let them all have a go and stop all the confusion with so many similar sounding names.

They could all sit down backstage and discuss how long they lasted until MK fired them!  ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

pete_w

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
"You're fired! Now where are my sausages?"

Ah! Maybe the new tune Hot Dog is a dour reflection on the goings-on during Sausageville?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 43 queries.