Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Telegraph Road - Madrid 2005  (Read 20374 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Telegraph Road - Madrid 2005
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »
I actually think that Telegraph Road sounds best when Mark plays the Strat. The Pensa sounds a bit to soft on this song in my ears...
So you prefer Alchemy? Love Alchemy, but i just love 96/05 versions even more -smoother yet outstanding solos

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
Don't like the 2008-10 versions. Too much cittern and sounds like a karoke version after "rolling river". Why Richard Benett couldn't play a solo there I'll never know.

I fully agree! There is something missing after ...rolling river.
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »
I actually think that Telegraph Road sounds best when Mark plays the Strat. The Pensa sounds a bit to soft on this song in my ears...
So you prefer Alchemy? Love Alchemy, but i just love 96/05 versions even more -smoother yet outstanding solos

Yep, love Alchemy, but he also played the Strat on Telegraph Road in 2005...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 11:23:32 PM »
I thought 05 version of telegraph road was amazing. The outro was never played better. Sadly since then he has ruined it with the half arsed version he played on the last 2 tours. I won't and can't listen to those awful versions. Why doesn't he give up playing it if he doesnt want to play the lead parts all the way through. It's frustrating when you know what he's capable of.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:27:21 PM by Banjo99uk »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 08:57:36 AM »
Watching Rome 05 right now, very nice multicam with soundboard audio from a radio broadcast. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »
Why doesn't he give up playing it if he doesnt want to play the lead parts all the way through. It's frustrating when you know what he's capable of.

Probably because it is just an endorsement thing with Pensa. The same goes with Martin = Marbletown, Fender = Sailing/Sultans, and so on.
Sounds harsh but I really think it is not too unrealistic to think that endorsement is an important factor when it comes to constructing the set list.
 :o

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 10:34:28 AM »
Don't like the 2008-10 versions. Too much cittern and sounds like a karoke version after "rolling river". Why Richard Benett couldn't play a solo there I'll never know.
I fully agree. I can't understand. MK is still able to make rather nice outro solos (albeit slower than in 2005), so I'm sure he would be capable of doing a small solo after "rolling river". "Karaoke" is exactly how it feels !!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 10:41:30 AM »
I really loved all of the TR's at the concerts I attended in 2010 and listen to them most days!   I think it's good that TR evolves every few years and I really love the cittern and the longer National part on the present version.   That doesn't mean that I don't like other versions.  I love the 2005 ones, especially RAH 30th May and also Vaison '96.   :)    

I know you guys out there are going to disagree vehemently with me about this, but although I do like most of the 2005 versions - Lyon is not one of my favourites!    :o   :o

EDIT:   OK, having listened to it again a few more times, I admit it's good!   Perhaps a bit fast for fastness sake and lacking a lot of certain nuances that I love about other versions, but it's growing on me!   ;D  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:40:55 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »
Hey superval, I would never disagree with you on a matter like this - but it made me thinking. I loved the 2005 versions when they were available more than any old version, even Vaison - the same with other songs like Sultans, Romeo and so on. Only Done with Bonaparte was as boring as always...  :lol
But when the next tour came up, I liked it a lot - f.e. Sailing To Philadelphia is getting better and better, same with What It Is or So Far Away....
What I want to say: All these obversations tell me one thing: MK is getting better and better. The 2005 versions were longer and more rocking, but in my opinion the new 2010er versions are played and sung (!) with much more feeling. The way he interprets every single word on lets say Locarno or Madrid
is really breathtaking!

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
Hi LE!   I agree with you.  MK is definitely getting better each tour and I love the 2010 versions of TR - definitely played with soul!    Also, Speedway and Marbletown were really breathtaking and are getting better all the time!    

What I feel about TR is that it doesn't matter if it is not played so fast, as long as it is played with soul and sometimes I feel this is lacking in some of the faster versions!  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:12:08 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »
That version is absolutely stunning! MK, eyes closed, fingers flying everywhere... Love it. Played with soul and speed, I would say.

Can't help but feel that Mark and Danny are not completely in synch around 1.20-1.30 or so (when the different drum parts kick in in response to the guitar attacks), but they get it sorted out.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »

I'm confused, did't he used the pensa on TR for some shows in 2005 ? Lyon 2005 does not sound at all like Alchemy, it sounds actually better and deeper to my taste, I thought he was using the pensa... (I don't know much about guitars).

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
I loved the 2005 versions when they were available more than any old version, even Vaison - the same with other songs like Sultans, Romeo and so on. Only Done with Bonaparte was as boring as always...  :lol
But when the next tour came up, I liked it a lot - f.e. Sailing To Philadelphia is getting better and better, same with What It Is or So Far Away....
What I want to say: All these obversations tell me one thing: MK is getting better and better. The 2005 versions were longer and more rocking, but in my opinion the new 2010er versions are played and sung (!) with much more feeling. The way he interprets every single word on lets say Locarno or Madrid is really breathtaking!
I think we are ideed fortunate, because with the 2005 passalongs recordings, the 2010 simfy recordings and the 1996 "Sultants of Swing" second bonus disk, we got the best of all worlds. To my taste:
- 2005 is very good for pure guitar rocking delight, even better than 2001 (for which no soundbard available, save for the radio recordings): TR is best in 2005 (and also 1996, but not official release); also WII is better without the flute/pipes and a somewhat faster pace than in 2008/2010. MFN is good too (but not as good as the mind-blowing 1997 Montserrat version. BLT is very good too.
- 2010 is best for more emotional, irish kind of tunes: STP is deeper than in 2005, so is BIA, and of course the new HFB, Marbletown, BR and Piper, etc. I also came to like SAN a lot with the pipes.
-WAM is still best in 2002 charity concerts with the DS-like band !
- 1996 is best for longer versions: I love Sultants from this era, yes I do prefer Jim Cox' piano over the "4-piece" band...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

I'm confused, did't he used the pensa on TR for some shows in 2005 ? Lyon 2005 does not sound at all like Alchemy, it sounds actually better and deeper to my taste, I thought he was using the pensa... (I don't know much about guitars).

The new Pensa was offered to Mark not sooner than during the italian part of the 2005 european leg, thus replacing the use of the Strat on TR from that point only.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »

The new Pensa was offered to Mark not sooner than during the italian part of the 2005 european leg, thus replacing the use of the Strat on TR from that point only.

Thanks ! well, this strat sounds to me much more like a pensa a much less like the one used in Alchemy. But again, I know next to nothing about guitars... can only talk about my listener experience.

I know MK said in 2005 that "his current line-up played DS songs better than DS did", but to me this is only true of TR (and maybe RAJ if you don't like sax - but I do); for SoS, SFA and BiA I prefer Wembley'85; for MFN I prefer Montserrat'97 and for WOL... well, I don't care about WOL !

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 42 queries.