Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler Tour 2011  (Read 203037 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler Tour 2011
« Reply #570 on: December 13, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »
Sorry, it's in french but you shall undersand the percentages:
http://www.afmk.net/concert2011/setlist.php
nicely done!
but you cannot mix the "solo" songs with the ones played with bob for this analysis, coz without the Bob songs he has played FAAARRRR less different songs.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #571 on: December 13, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »
16 different songs, it's not bad for a 11-song setlist.
It's more or less what we usually have for a 15-songsetlist.

Offlinejcser

• Guitar George
  • no matter who you are, you are. - James Taylor
« Reply #572 on: December 15, 2011, 12:29:47 PM »
I know I will probably get crucified for saying this, and take into account that I have NEVER been much of a Dylan follower, but on the strength of Guy's comments alone (wherein he talks about the lack of any kind of recognition from Dylan - the 'looking away' at the meeting in the stairwell particularly bothered me), the unquestioning almost-subservience paid to him grates me like I cannot express. I don't care who he is, there is nothing gracious about him, to the point of downright self-entitlement. There are others in the field equally as crucial to the development and promotion of music - and this kind of music in particular - who have always acknowledged the input, cooperation, and musicianship of their cohorts, as well as been welcoming and gracious to their fans. There, I've said it. The bull's-eye is directly over my heart. You may now all take shots.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #573 on: December 15, 2011, 02:19:28 PM »
I guess Dylan never done himself any favours by his manner toward Marks' band although we don't really know how many opportunities were afforded to him for introductions.  It does make one a little bothered though when Guy is so keen to belittle an artist like Lady Gaga when she seems to come across so well in interviews (not a fan by the way :o) yet gives so much credit to a man who ignores him. :disbelief
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Rollergirl

« Reply #574 on: December 15, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »
 ;D

Lady gaga and Bob dylan in the same sentence

;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #575 on: December 15, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »
;D

Lady gaga and Bob dylan in the same sentence

;D

I absolve myself from everything!  It's Guy, it's Guy!! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Rollergirl

« Reply #576 on: December 15, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
that's true, I've checked, he said that Lady gaga's support slot was already filled that's why they opened for Bob Dylan.

Which prompted somebody else to say " I don't think we should be talking about Lady gaga's slot, and who should fill it on this forum!

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #577 on: December 15, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
that's true, I've checked, he said that Lady gaga's support slot was already filled that's why they opened for Bob Dylan.

Which prompted somebody else to say " I don't think we should be talking about Lady gaga's slot, and who should fill it on this forum!
Question may not be who should fill it but who has not.  ::)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #578 on: December 15, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
A few comments on Dylan and others on tour:

1) it is very common for Dylan not to meet members of the other group during a tour, so it's not Mark's band is being singled out. I don't know the reason for this but, from what I hear, it is partly protection (not just in a security sense) and certainly not "personal" in respect of Mark's musicians
2) those who look after Dylan on tour can sometimes be a bit over-zealous in interpreting his wishes. He has been known to ask old friends why they didn't come speak to him, only to be told just how difficult it is to get through the layers of "security".
3) I am not sure just how bad his eyesight is (and maybe that has been resolved now) but he has commented on his own poor eyesight in the past
4) I got a phone call from a friend very recently (admittedly someone reasonably well-connected in the music business) who, in the course of the call, mentioned that he had met Dylan backstage during the most recent tour and, in answer to my question, said he had had a conversation lasting between 4 and 5 minutes.
5) I also know someone who met Dylan backstage at Hammersmith Odeon on a previous tour, along with some people from the publishing world, and said he was not only civil but very pleasant - in fact, quite humble, rather than arrogant (which has been the suggestion in previous post)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:48:49 AM by twm »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #579 on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:53 PM »
Having listened to Bob on his Theme Time shows, to me there is no question that he is "arrogant" or "rude". He unfortunately just has to have that bubble around him because he is THAT famous.

Paul McCartney, Tom Cruise, and a handful of others have reached that ridiculous level of fame, and they just can't live a "normal" life because of it. It's not being rude, it's just staying sane. How would YOU cope with people coming up to you all day, every day, asking for your autograph, saying "I just wanted to say how much your music means to me"?

Like MK says, fame is a toxic by-product of success. :(
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejcser

• Guitar George
« Reply #580 on: December 16, 2011, 03:41:51 AM »
I'm not attempting to beat a dead horse here, and I probably can't be induced to modify my opinion, but I was always taught that the proper response to a compliment was "Thank you". It needn't be more than that, and you can then go on your way, but seriously, by this point Dylan is attracting fans I can only imagine are not out-or-their-minds screaming loonies. At any rate, I met Pete Seeger long ago (admittedly a whole different ball of wax, but still an icon in his own right) and he could not have been more gracious to me, a perfect stranger. He spent a deal of time explaining something to do with economics to me (which rather went past me, partially because I was so in awe that he was making a special effort to communicate) and clearly he did not need to. I can quite understand a performer avoiding a fan who is making a scene, but I seem to recall, Mr Duncan, you were a little off-put by Sam Neill being a cramp somewhere you had occasion to run into him. Being super-famous doesn't absolve you of civility.

And twm, good point. I had not taken eyesight, or the lack of it, into account. You could be on to something. However, at point-blank range as they were on the stairwell, surely he could see well enough to know fellow musicians - unless he's never gotten more than a squint at them from across the room. If I hadn't heard my own share of stories about Mr Dylan, I might be inclined to give him a bye. And really, I have no personal interest in him anyway, aside from a handful of songs I happen to like. I do admit being impressed by his voluability on the "No Direction Home" video - which unfortunately I only have on VHS. I thought it an excellent history of music of that era. I do think it would be a very nice gesture on his part, at least, to meet with musicians in his tour. THEY'RE certianly not going to jump all over him.

Offlinejcser

• Guitar George
« Reply #581 on: December 16, 2011, 03:54:51 AM »
   I hope I don't insult anyone. I've known this song since my coffeehouse days.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #582 on: December 16, 2011, 08:26:56 AM »
I can quite understand a performer avoiding a fan who is making a scene, but I seem to recall, Mr Duncan, you were a little off-put by Sam Neill being a cramp somewhere you had occasion to run into him. Being super-famous doesn't absolve you of civility.

Yes - at an MK gig!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejcser

• Guitar George
« Reply #583 on: December 16, 2011, 09:53:50 AM »
 ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #584 on: December 16, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
Having listened to Bob on his Theme Time shows, to me there is no question that he is "arrogant" or "rude". He unfortunately just has to have that bubble around him because he is THAT famous.

Paul McCartney, Tom Cruise, and a handful of others have reached that ridiculous level of fame, and they just can't live a "normal" life because of it. It's not being rude, it's just staying sane. How would YOU cope with people coming up to you all day, every day, asking for your autograph, saying "I just wanted to say how much your music means to me"?

Like MK says, fame is a toxic by-product of success. :(

I totally agree with your post. Bob Dylan is an icon, he is much more than just a star, BUT then again: It was HIM who invited MK & band, not vice versa, and after the first shows it was obvious that it was running well, sold out, good fun, on stage and off stage etc, and therefore a little acknowledgment for Mark AND his band, impersonated by Guy, would have been human. twm listed some reasons, and the idea of bad eyesight was new to me, but quite interesting! :o In fact it would explain a lot of things, just think of the Forever Young clip and the question if Bob was seeing Mark's gesture or not!  I wonder if MK spills the beans about his regular meetings with Bob when he is in the studio with the band, or if he keeps it secret, because he was the chosen one...  ;)

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 43 queries.