Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bob Dylan recommendations  (Read 25242 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: Bob Dylan recommendations
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
Arabia, such a shame that you gave away his best recordings. Now MK fans have even less to look forward from Bob.  :lol
But since kindness should be rewarded with equal kind spirits, in case you only attend the tour for his Bobness, do come after MK's part so that everybody else can have a better view. ;) After all it is only 70 and a half minutes ;D

Now for Bob recommendations, I should say that one of my favourite albums not already mentioned before, is John Wesley Harding. Also Desire, and for more aquired tastes Street Legal.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
is that your personal preference, hamburg?
i kinda liked the swiss and London shows.
and i like Things have changed in every single show this year...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
is that your personal preference, hamburg?
i kinda liked the swiss and London shows.
and i like Things have changed in every single show this year...

Hamburg along with Tel Aviv were the best recordings.I only attended the Finnsbury Park gig here in London and considered it grand.I thought his 2011 gigs were much better than 2010. I had given up hope and stopped collecting every recording last year. I hope this tour is as good as the summer was.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »
tel aviv? that was the one where all the israeli's were so dissapointed coz they had expected him to talk...
lol, but i heard it was a good show indeed, got it somewhere, but got so much, dunno where to start.
if anyone would make a collection of all Things have changed played this tour, i would listen to it non stop, i actually put that one song on replay on my ipod for a whole day...brilliant...

Rollergirl

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
found a couple of CDs in hubby's collection Love and Theft and the recent (latest?) Together through life. I like what I hear.

However, I have been listening to some songs on that Hamburg recording (thanks Arabia) and I must say I have difficulties with his singing. Not with the rusty voice, I can see myself getting used to that, but the way he ends every line. Hard to describe but you know what I mean hopefully, like he's asking a question or trying to speak Norwegian  ;D

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:22:36 PM by Rollergirl »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
Rollergirl, I understand exactly what you mean. My reaction, is somehow different. I often find myself in the position of thinking that dear Bob is toying with us, giving us this (do not dare name it, just in case I offend someone), to see how clever we are and when we are going to stop accepting this kind of performance. It is a surreal feeling, since I can't understand why I can only hear praise for his later work that I sometimes find unbearable. (Even the most hard core fans have to search for good songs in his 80ies and 90ies albums, up to "Time out...", with the exception of Oh, mercy.) His live performances are a totally different thing, but it is strange when it is not  a unique experience but a repeated, night after night show for many people. (OK, if I can find logic with the ones following MK, I guess there is logic for BD as well) 

Rollergirl

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »
found a couple of CDs in hubby's collection Love and Theft and the recent (latest?) Together through life. I like what I hear.

However, I have been listening to some songs on that Hamburg recording (thanks Arabia) and I must say I have difficulties with his singing. Not with the rusty voice, I can see myself getting used to that, but the way he ends every line. Hard to describe but you know what I mean hopefully, like he's asking a question or trying to speak Norwegian  ;D

well, after listening to the whole of CD 1 of that Hamburg recording, I am happy to say that the singing is growing on me, or at least doesn't bother me so much!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:59:11 PM by Rollergirl »

OfflineMarkB

• Guitar George
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »
For me  most of Dylan's 80's records are under-rated. Down In The Groove is awful and Knocked Out Loaded very poor but KOL has Brownsville Girl, one of (imo) Bob's greatest songs.

His other 80's albums are full of good songs, Saved is a collection of excellent songs with a lacklustre production, Infidels is very good but most fans would agree that he left some of the best songs off the record(how could he not put Blind Willie McTell on the album?!), Empire Burlesque is an interesting failure at making a contemporary 80's sounding record.

I'm a big fan of Shot Of Love, again he made some surprising choices of what to put on and leave off the record but that album has a great sound and at least 2 all-time classics in Every Grain Of Sand & In The Summertime.

Apart from TOOM, the only 90's album or original songs was Under The Red Sky, an album that was heavily criticised when it came out so soon after Oh Mercy but I like it.

I'd never criticise anyone for not liking those songs/records or for not liking the way his voice sounds these days. Music would be very boring if everyone liked the same things!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
i always loved Under the red sky. never understood the criticism

Rollergirl

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
. Music would be very boring if everyone liked the same things!

indeed!

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »
Well besides "Infidels" and "Slow Train Coming" albums which we MK fans are quite familiar with,I  would recommend the "Desire" album, it is worth mentioning that Emmylou Harris is on the backing vocals and also the songs are really great! "One More Cup Of Coffee" and " Sara" have been playing all day in a loop!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 10:22:17 PM »
. Music would be very boring if everyone liked the same things!

indeed!

By all means I agree. But putting a little pressure to the released material, from articles in the newspapers to NOT buying the product,  sometimes is the catalyst, the missing element to create better music. It is a huge conversation, but since music has also a deeper yet clear to most of us, financial motivation, which in many ways influences the artist and the final offering-product-record, we can not just close our eyes and judge the final outcome in reference only to the artist. Sometimes this outcome has very little to do with the artist. From releasing an album of material without the artist's approval (see Dylan LP), or pressing for new material to follow a successful album,  imposing producers, musicians or directors, not respecting the will and aesthetics of the artist about the track listing and order or even the cover work or kind of promotion.   Eric Clapton, from all people,  had at least an album turned down in the 80ies by the record company that considered the material not commercial, and I guess Bob Dylan and many other artists had a similar experience even if it was in the form of kind suggestion. I hear that Dylan was capable of making most of  the mistakes by himself. The wrong choices of material to include, the muddier production he preferred even the musicians he chose over others. And during his interviews he is cryptic, so that you get out more confused, I can only guess that he is so wise as to build a myth around him, rather than explain his work. And I admire him for that, since it is my firm belief that art needs no explaining . But some of his works simply do not have the qualities we are used from him, and as a fan, buying his new record before I even listen to it, I am disappointed, because I feel cheated from my money and more importantly from my time. Time and money I could invest on someone else. I guess, after all, that  a few revealing words wouldn't do the trick either. If something is average or below average, can't be lifted with words of explanation. I know he is an artist, and at the same time a human being, so he have to experiment and eventually fail sometimes. But here is the problem: as a musician with a broad fan base and  potential for the great audience of a hit record, the company has ways of both taking the money of the fans and at the same time boosting the same artist with the well operating promotion system it has. So it is a double trap for fans, even if the usual moto used by companies is : "Don't like, don't buy".  I guess after all I am not such a big Dylan fan, since I have reservations. But this is a bit off the above conversation, a big topic that I prefer to discuss rather than write,  so I will leave it just here.            

OfflineMr Young at Heart

• Guitar George
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
Best Dylan albums (top 5, chronological order):

Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde On Blonde
Time Out Of Mind
"Love And Theft"

Best Dylan song:

All Along The Watchtower

My wife's fave album:

Self Portrait

My son's fave live album:

Before The Flood

Best bootleg:

The Genuine Basement Tapes.

Yeah, listen to it all...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »
If I should sum up : the huge gap between the album version and the actual live performance is way too big for a lot of newcomers.

Mark has his way on it : he doesn't play the old tunes anymore but when he does it most of time they are basically on the same pattern than on the album.

Being a MK is quite easy.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
Being a Dylan is also very easy - when you're a masochist...

;D

Just a Joke!

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 44 queries.