Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Opening and closing song of MK  (Read 25450 times)

Rollergirl

Re: Opening and closing song of MK
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:49:37 PM by Rollergirl »

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
Well, if MK would release a live DVD of each tour, there'd be little use for video bootlegs. But perhaps we should not go there  ;)

Yeah, let

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 06:57:09 AM »
Perhaps he will bring a lot of rarities as song openers and hopefully not the same
Song twice. Closers I do not know yes could not be too quiet and would have to be a little
rocking.

Romeo would be good fir this, but I doubt he would close with this:)

Love Expresso

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
That's something that we all know about "our" Mark: Sultans, Romeo, Telegraph Road, are songs that never would leave the central set list position... Which is a pity...

Last night, when I listened to The Ragpicker's Dream again after a while (highly recommendable to any Dylan fan who is willing to learn some of Mark's solo stuff), I came to the conclusion that I really would LOVE to hear "Fare Thee Well Northumberland" as opening song... and now, with the return of Jim Cox, I hope that Mark maybe takes another one from the RPD album and puts this song into the current set for the first time.
I tried to put myself into Mark's situation ( ;)), and I thought about a set  list that would fit the honour of playing on the same stage as Bob. Maybe Mark remembers the old times when Bob asked him in LA and some Communiqu

Rollergirl

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
I dreamt I was at the gig last night. The set list was pretty much that. I met Mark after the show, or before, I can't remember, may have been somewhere else totally and asked him why his set lists are so similar from tour to tour... His reply made sense but I can't remember it!  ;D

The The Ragpicker's Dream's songs have popped up in every tour, let's hope he brings one out this time too!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
RPD is one of my favourite albums and it would be great to hear some more of it played on this tour, like "Old Pigweed", "Fare Thee Well" and "You Don't Know You're Born" - then he'll have just about played the whole album live!   :)  I think it's one of MK's favourite albums too!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 03:01:59 PM »

I post this not so much because of the quality of the band or the voice or the song, but because of what he is doing during the last minute of this clip!
He indeed signs the harmonica (without obviously saying a word of course) of a 12-year-old boy. The story can be found here:

http://www.examiner.com/bob-dylan-in-national/interview-with-the-12-year-old-that-got-bob-dylan-s-autograph-at-the-ryman

Well, that is something I am sure MK will never do during a live show, from the stage. and I am sorry about that.

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »

I post this not so much because of the quality of the band or the voice or the song, but because of what he is doing during the last minute of this clip!
He indeed signs the harmonica (without obviously saying a word of course) of a 12-year-old boy. The story can be found here:

http://www.examiner.com/bob-dylan-in-national/interview-with-the-12-year-old-that-got-bob-dylan-s-autograph-at-the-ryman

Well, that is something I am sure MK will never do during a live show, from the stage. and I am sorry about that.

LE

Didn't Guy mention in one of his diaries a while back about some obnoxious fan hassling MK for an autograph all the way through the gig. MK them very deliberately gave a polite young kid an autograph from the stage at the end.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
If he did, I also forgot about that diary entry, too!  :lol

I skipped through Guy's " FAQ page" the other day and i found the sentence      A: We never give autographs from the stage but guitar pics and drumsticks often find their way out there.. Maybe I remembered that. Still it is very unlikely that MK will ever give autographs directly from the stage.
But to be fair, with Bob I think it is the same, otherwise this clip or the event in it would not have been such a "sensation" with interviewing the boy etc.
I for myself am not the autograph-hunter-guy, but I noticed that he changed his autograph-routine more and more during the last two tours.

LE

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
I would actually like Mark to take a look at this tour as a chance to do something a little different to what has been played on the last few tours and will no doubt be played on the next full tour.Take the band out of their comfort zone,and maybe rock it up a bit.To this end I would like Marks set to end on a high with something of the ilk of solid rock get everyone up on their feet.Maybe lady writer,skateaway,tunnel of love etc rather than tr and rj which have been done to death on the last few tours.Treat this 6 week tour as a chance to be a bit less MK and reserved than usual and play 5.15am and postcards .Don't let us look back at the setlists in 6 months time and say what did they do different.

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
I would actually like Mark to take a look at this tour as a chance to do something a little different to what has been played on the last few tours and will no doubt be played on the next full tour.Take the band out of their comfort zone,and maybe rock it up a bit.To this end I would like Marks set to end on a high with something of the ilk of solid rock get everyone up on their feet.Maybe lady writer,skateaway,tunnel of love etc rather than tr and rj which have been done to death on the last few tours.Treat this 6 week tour as a chance to be a bit less MK and reserved than usual and play 5.15am and postcards .Don't let us look back at the setlists in 6 months time and say what did they do different.

I completely agree, that this would be a great chance with the
spotlight not all on Mark, to leave his comfort zone.
Take a few risks. As he'll only be on stage for an hour, I'd rather him play
A bunch of 4-5 min songs, rather than only a few longer songs.
And definitely agree with rockers such as Lady Writer etc...
BUT....... I have the feeling that our man will play it safe once more,
with the usual suspects. ;)
I can't wait to find out.

Cheers. BBB

And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 08:47:22 AM »
Mark have done an unusual set during the Real Live Roadrunning tour with Emmylou Harris: Sultans of Swing not played, nice version of Why Worry... On Emmylou's songs, Mark was back on the stage, like a "simple" musician.
I think he can do something special with Bob Dylan. I hope a duet!
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »

Very well said.  I totally agree in every respect.  I would also like to add that MK puts some energy back into his performances.  Get some grease goin'! :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »

Very well said.  I totally agree in every respect.  I would also like to add that MK puts some energy back into his performances.  Get some grease goin'! :lol

I never noticed the 2010 tour not being energetic!   I loved it all.    :)

I would like to hear 5.15am played too, but it's hardly a rocking song, neither is Postcards!   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:45:34 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »

I also agree. That would be nice and a good opportunity to do so! Like pyroaction mentionned, the Road running tour was slightly different, so there's hope for this one!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 48 queries.