Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: seat exchange between BD/MK slots  (Read 41903 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: seat exchange between BD/MK slots
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:01 AM »

2) Do not expect Dylan fans to hold back before charging to the front of the stage. It is quite common at Dylan concerts for this to start the moment the house lights go down. I have been fortunate enough to get front row centre seats at quite a few Dylan shows and have had to be ready to lift up everything I've brought to the show and step sharply forward to the stage apron in order not to lose the advantage of a good position. It doesn't always happen but often enough. It won't be a problem at the GA standing venues, of course.

No problems for MK fans then, as Mark is on first and if we are to believe the BD fora, they do not intend to be there until Bob arrives and if they do attend, they have no interest in MK at all!    ;D

I will be at the concert to see both MK and BD, so I will be ready for the bull-running when it appears to be starting!   :lol

BTW Welcome to this forum and thanks for all your information!   :)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:06:04 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:29 AM »
Welcome TWM

Great to have a Dylan fan here with good balanced view on both artists.

I don't like that much the "us and them" atmosphere that spread beetwen the BD fan and MK fan and I was a bit surprised as I did not experience the same with EC or DG fans - that also I am (btw I would be delighted by an MK/EC or a MK/DG double bill).
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:02 AM »
thanks twm for a very sensible and informative post.
I would like to point out that of course I am not SO stupid to really think that every Dylan fan is about 65 years or older - even if at ER they think I am really serious about this - it was of course meant in a funny way. ( And this "them" and "us" was not invented by me of course, but indeed I really see a great lack of humour "over there"  ;) ).

So I might underline the fact that I am following Dylan for nearly exactly the same time as I follow Mark, about 26 years now, and every new album of Bob is detected well and very much appreciated. From all the other heroes out there that have been named (Cale, Clapton, Gilmour and so on) I think Dylan is the perfect and best choice when it comes to choosing a partner for Mark to tour with or even duetting on an album.

So thanks again, twm, for giving some illuminative information and comments, and welcome on this forum from me too.  

LE
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:20:29 AM by Love Expresso »

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Rollergirl

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:59:07 PM by Rollergirl »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »
;D In that case I'd better remember to wear a nice bra!  ;D

Even better : wear no bra at all   :lol
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Rollergirl

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
;D In that case I'd better remember to wear a nice bra!  ;D

Even better : wear no bra at all   :lol

when you get to a certain age, you need support... and as the majority of people in the audience will be in their 50s or 60s.....
it's too risky, wouldn't be a pretty sight!!

Offlinedannyjun

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »
 ;D

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »
;D In that case I'd better remember to wear a nice bra!  ;D

Even better : wear no bra at all   :lol

when you get to a certain age, you need support... and as the majority of people in the audience will be in their 50s or 60s.....
it's too risky, wouldn't be a pretty sight!!

Ooohhh .....uuuuhhh..........Mrs. President, are you talking about me?

BTW welcome TWM to this wonderful forum and for sharing your information about Bob with us!  ;)

Fieneke
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:25:12 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »
ROFL!!!    :lol     :lol      I needed a good laugh, it's been a hard day!    :lol    :-*
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
Thanks for the various "welcomes"; it is appreciated.

My point on stage-rushing was that, whereas MK fans tend to wait until a particular point is the show before dashing to the front, Dylan fans seek to make the move from the very start of DYlan's performance (and often succeed).

For many of the shows on the coming tour, the GA-standing arrangements will render my comments invalid anyway but, for the seated venues, it will be interesting to see what happens.

I do not wish to foster discord here but please bear with me. By and large, I have preferred the NHB and MK (solo) concerts to the DS concerts that I have attended. Why, I  wondered. My conclusion is that I don't much go for what I might call stadium rock. It isn't just Mark for me. I have attended and enjoyed a solo Springsteen concert and one of his Seeger Sessions dates but have never felt impelled to go to one of his "standard" shows. Similarly, I attended several early Pink Floyd shows in the late-1960s (at a college dance, at The Roundouse and "Games For May" at the Queen Elizabeth Hall) but just lost interest in their music thereafter. I suspect that I'm not the only Bob Dylan fan so minded. On the other hand, many Mark Knopfler fans seem to get more animated during the DS material. Certainly, at the MK solo concerts that I have attended, it is the DS material that gets the most immediate crowd response and, at The Straits concert at the Royal Albert Hall earlier this year, audience reaction clearly showed the attraction of the "old-style" DS performance.  I should add that I am not entirely against songs from the DS era. For example, I first heard R&J on a folk music radio programme (!), was much struck by it and have rarely not enjoyed it in concert.  On the other hand, that long "Calling Elvis" intro to those early 1990s DS shows used to cause me a touch of dread - I couldn't wait for it to finish. And I found the shorter "Speedway" on the last MK tour much more focussed than the longer version on the tour before last. But that's just me. I can't speak for other Dylan fans.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
Certainly, at the MK solo concerts that I have attended, it is the DS material that gets the most immediate crowd response

Yes, of course, the DS material always gets a good response, especially TR and SOS, but, the solo material, such as Marbletown and Speedway get an equally good response too!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
Interesting thoughts. I think the greater part of Mark's 10.000-audiences is not what we call "fan", they maybe go to a show for nostalgic reasons. MK fans always experience the same: Talking about your favourite muso, you get dialogues like "Mark who...?" - "The one from Dire Straits..." - "Ah, Dire Straits - Money For Nothing, right? And Sultans of Swing... yeah I remember... wot, is he STILL going?"
I would presume that the new songs that have been played in the last five years (Hill Farmer's Blues, Marbletown, Postcards From Paraguay, Piper To The End and others) are the real highlights for "us" fans. But Mark has to do justice to the people that come to his shows. He himself speaks about "milestones" that his songs can be in the lifes of those people. I often asked myself how many people of the bigger audiences have seen MK (or DS) more than one or two times in the past. Yes, he sells out big arenas and venues, so one could come to the conclusion that there is always the same 500 000 people going to his tours. But who knows.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Yes, of course LE just to add to what you said: the reason that the more obvious/popular songs from DS era get a  louder response is due to the tourist element in the audience.  That is those who remember DS from years back but kind of lost touch with his solo stuff and maybe heard MK was going to be playing and thought they'd come along and hear all the oldies again.  This is of course why he has to play these songs and I for one think it's a good thing too because they mostly liven up the set on the whole.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »
Talking about your favourite muso, you get dialogues like "Mark who...?"
Yesterday I went to the ticket shop to get two extra tickets for "Mark Knopfler in Geneva , Nov 15".
Didn't sound they very familiar to them   ;)
Then I said "please look under Bob Dylan", and that was more efficient.    ::)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 44 queries.