Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: seat exchange between BD/MK slots  (Read 42866 times)

Rollergirl

Re: seat exchange between BD/MK slots
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
Yesterday I went to the ticket shop to get two extra tickets for "Mark Knopfler in Geneva , Nov 15".
Didn't sound they very familiar to them   ;)
Then I said "please look under Bob Dylan", and that was more efficient.    ::)

Not surprising, it is the Bob Dylan's tour

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »
Yesterday I went to the ticket shop to get two extra tickets for "Mark Knopfler in Geneva , Nov 15".
Didn't sound they very familiar to them   ;)
Then I said "please look under Bob Dylan", and that was more efficient.    ::)

Not surprising, it is the Bob Dylan's tour

Yes, we shouldn
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
This review of a recent Dylan show reflects, more or less, what I wrote in an earlier post here:

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20110819_Dylan_engaged_and_frisky_in_Philadelphia_gig.html

I thought that MK fans might find it of some interest.

Love Expresso

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
It is interesting indeed. Looking forward to my show very much. It seems clear that Dylan usually plays a 90 minutes set?

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
Not from Philly, but from Cork:

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »

I have no idea what song this is and cannot understand one single word he burps out. Mannheim and Berlin are going to be fun.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »

I have no idea what song this is and cannot understand one single word he burps out. Mannheim and Berlin are going to be fun.

"Simple Twist of Fate"
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »
I find it interesting that even the audience needed until the refrain to recognize the song. I had no problems recognizing it, maybe because I especially like these lyrics. Everything from "Blood On The Tracks" is great!

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
I gave another chance to the "new" version of Blind Willie McTell. Well, its nice to chance things from time to time and although the band is great, the songs is totally ruined by the squawking of Dylan
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
I gave another chance to the "new" version of Blind Willie McTell. Well, its nice to chance things from time to time and although the band is great, the songs is totally ruined by the squawking of Dylan

Rollergirl

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
interesting Goldenheart. to me the line is when I stop liking it. Art is very subjective, what one finds crap is somebody else's art.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
interesting Goldenheart. to me the line is when I stop liking it. Art is very subjective, what one finds crap is somebody else's art.

I agree.

So, as someone who likes Dylan, would you accept the deterioration of his performance quality because you find it interesting no matter what he does, or would you say there is a point where your tolerance would stop? What about the "But he is a legend" factor?

If someone asked me if I would stop listening to MK in case his performance quality got worse, I'm not sure how to answer.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »
With MK it's different because even if his singing gets crappy, which I don't think it ever gets that bad as Dylan's, he still has the guitar singing for him. It's worth noting that Mark's singing improved over last decades, not sure about playing though.

Speaking of Dylan, sorry, but if he makes songs unrecognizable and barks like a dog where he could at least try singing, it is IMO a fail no matter how big a legend he is.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Rollergirl

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
So, as someone who likes Dylan, would you accept the deterioration of his performance quality because you find it interesting no matter what he does, or would you say there is a point where your tolerance would stop? What about the "But he is a legend" factor?
If someone asked me if I would stop listening to MK in case his performance quality got worse, I'm not sure how to answer.

I quite like him but, I can't say I'm a fan like I am a MK fan. To be honest I don't even know his latest work.
The "but he's a legend factor" works for me as a reason to go and see him live once (which I did, and I didn't like it) and give him a second chance (which I will, because I'm sure I won't make the trip for nothing). Now, you say you would stop listening to MK if the quality got worse, well, for some people, it has got worse (too slow, not enough solos, too much flute, etc), and these people might question why you still listen to him. I think the same goes for Dylan. Some people think the quality has got worse (his voice), some can live with it.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 02:58:14 AM »
Ever since I've been interested in Dylan (and that's a long, long time), people have commented that they can't understand the words or that he can't sing - or both - but especially that he can't sing.  It comes with the territory now. I know there are singers who are pitch perfect, who hit every note spot on and enunciate the words clearly but that's not necessarily what I look for. They have to be able to put over the song, to transcend what I might call the mechanics of performance. Opera buffs will tell you that, in the purest of senses, Maria Callas was not that good a singer but she invested the character she was portraying with believability, projected the emotion the song demanded and she commanded the stage and that venue for the time you were there. I'm not opera buff at all, so can't judge, but that's what I've heard tell. 

At the same time, I have attended Dylan shows that I have thoroughly enjoyed (both its low points and its high points) but, when I've heard a recording afterwards, I find it hard to accept that I could have enjoyed any of it, that I could have enjoyed being there so much.  There is both an objective level and a subjective level to this. 

And, over the years, I have been fortunate to attend some Dylan performances acknowledged to be among his best in the last 20 years. I can point to performances, both live and in the studio, that really took my breath away but ....

.... putting all that aside, there is no doubt that, in recent years, Dylan's voice has suffered significantly. People who have attended recent shows say that, on the whole, it's been a turn for the better. I don't know and I'll wait until I attend the Bournemouth show before I pass judgement.

As for MK, I've responded well to the recent concerts - with both slower and up tempo numbers, briefer solos, the addition of the fiddles, the citterns and the uilleann pipes and the generally more relaxed feel to the concerts.  I wish MK would mix things up a bit more, that the performances were a bit less predictable and that he wouldn't use the same comments and jokes night after night - in short, a bit more spontaneity wouldn't go amiss. And I would like to hear even more radical rearrangements of some of the songs and I am referring to some of the old war horses in this respect.  Sometimes, it seems that MK feels he must give his audience things in the show akin to the old DS style or, perhaps he thinks, he'll lose his audience base. Yes, MK has moved on from his past and I respect that but he could try to find something different and something more within his old songs and try to bring those elements out.  If he is half the performer I know him to be, he will take his audience along with him, with little difficulty, and he will respond well to the challenges this approach presents.  Leave the DS stuff to The Straits and move on.

MK fans will be familiar with his contribution to Dylan's SLOW TRAIN COMING album. So often in the music press and in the media generally, we hear about the huge change that Dylan wrought with his "electric" performance at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965. Less often mentioned are Dylan's concerts in the year or so after the release of SLOW TRAIN COMING. He played concerts without a single song from his past, none of his well-known songs, not a single one. He only performed songs from SLOW TRAIN COMING and from the forthcoming SAVED album.  He did so despite a sometimes hostile reaction from some in the audience,   despite the poor reviews and despite some people apparently walking out of his shows (probably a bit overplayed in the press). Sometimes, a performer like Dylan (and like Knopfler) simply has to step out a little and, as the now all-too-familiar phrase goes, move out of their comfort zone. Is Knopfler really challenging himself now? 

A FINAL NOTE: When Dylan played in London in 1978 (before SLOW TRAIN COMING), he had a new arrangement of "Blowin' In The Wind" of which I wrote that it was clearly a heavenly wind blowing now. I am not pretending that I could predict the way he was moving but it wasn't a complete surprise.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 48 queries.