Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: where were you?  (Read 17852 times)

draad

Re: where were you?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
I hesitate to post this, but want to put down where I come from on all of this. Please no-one be offended because that is the last thing I would ever want to do.

9/11 was a tragedy for the free world, esp the US, and most importantly for all those who lost loved ones in this gross act of terrorism. I understand why the anniversary of 9/11 is so important to so many. For me, there are too many painful anniversaries/tragedies to remember so I don't have a special thing for 9/11. I remember many  tragedies frequently throughout the year:

Iraq
Afghanistan
London
Madrid
Bosnia
Rwanda
Northern Ireland
Middle East
Cambodia
Vietnam
Korea
WW2
The holocaust
etc, etc

Innocents are dying every day, and that's v important to remember. So I would say, and perhaps you do this -  when you remember whichever anniversary/tragedy is closest to your heart, remember the many others too.

Try to understand what drives terrorists to kill and maim and think of ways to prevent them doing it. Vote for politicians who can espouse their thoughts on this in ways that seem fair and right to your heart and avoid like the plague those who have the powers to make matters worse.

I think the same way about personal tragedy too. When I think about my mum, who died last year, I try to always think of other people who are in the bereavement process. I say a little something for them, and I am helped because I am reminded I'm not alone in how I might be feeling.

Guys, TY for letting me put this down. It's how I deal with bad things. No offence to those who do things differently. God bless the innocents who die every day..

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »
Nicely put draad. While the tragic events of 9/11 are of course remembered here in the UK (you only have to look at the whole host of shows that were on TV here last week about it), I don't think there's any question that the hurt will have been more deeply felt in the US.

I must admit that while I was shocked and saddened by the events at the time, and took part in the  3 minutes of silence for those who died, I don't have any special way of remembering the events each year, other than reflecting on them and the aftermath often.

As for your list, they are all too terrible for words - and don't forget Darfur.  :(

(PS I see Northern Ireland on the list and it would be interesting to have a discussion on the different perceptions on both sides of the Atlantic of what went on in Northern Ireland, but I think that's for another time.)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejacki

• Camerado
  • once upon a time in the West
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »
For several years I devoted an effort to planting a tulip for everyone who died on 9/11. I was up to about 400 when, in 2004, my various physical problems began to make it extremely difficult to spend any time on my hands and knees. And then the tulips...which apparently deteriorate over time, unless you are lucky enough to get the long lived variety, which are not plentiful....began to get spotty in number. Next Spring, I hope to start over again. This fall is too soon as I am currently still recuperating from my last surgery, but hopefully my limitations have been temporarily crimped. I may switch to daffodils as well, as they are a constant and faithful, and beautiful, flower, and worthy of gracing the memories of those people.   And draad, I do agree with you. We could spend every waking moment of the day remembering those who have gone before, and I do sometimes find myself remembering my lost ones...by a chance remark from someone, a tone of voice, a sound, a shared vision....thank you for emphasizing that remembrance is one of the most important elements of life.

draad

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »
Hi jcser. Remembrance is v important and part of how things go forward. This thread is too raw for me. Let's talk bout something else please.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
Great idea Jacki. I don't know anything about flowers, but I know we are exporting tulips a lot. If I can give any help by sending you something from Holland it's all my pleasure (you have to say which kind, because I really don't know a thing about it)

Offlinerygman

• Guitar George
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 01:59:04 AM »
As an American who lives in New Jersey, not all that far from where the twin towers fell, of course 9-11 has impacted my life to a much greater extent than Europe and the rest of the world, not to mention much of the USA. I don't like lumping all these wars together (even if Iraq and Afghanistan sprang from 9-11). It decreases the impact and immediacy of what happened.

We didn't get the in your face news coverage--as it happened--with any of the other events. It also wasn't exclusively an attack on innocent civilians, an utterly cowardly and contemptible attack by deranged maniacs--and there are millions more of these maniacs waiting for their turn to do something similar or even more destructive, not just to the USA but throughout the civilized world. I don't think that draad is trying to equivocate about 9-11, but that's how it feels to me.

There's certainly nothing wrong with remembering and grieving about any of the tragic events, wars, or natural disasters that affect you, your friends, relatives, loved ones, etc.

BUT--they are not all the same, which is the basic point I take from this discussion.

Just pray that the next 9-11 doesn't affect your country directly, although the way things are going with the appeasement of those who want to destroy the free world it just might affect us all.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 04:55:49 AM »
Draad, your post was powerful and thoughtful.   You helped remind us that observances of memorable days (both great and horrible ones) are about others and what they have endured.   Compassion is a global thing, and every horror that we in the US went through on 9/11 has been repeated far too many times in other parts of the world, from Darfur to Pakistan just this weekend.   Your post showed a true spirit of humanity.  Thank you.
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 11:09:19 AM »
i like the way this thread is being handled by the various contributors, decent, serene, but powerful.
i will not comment on it, as my comment would be a mix of many things said here.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 01:22:32 PM »
I just start working near Barcelona the day before, and as 11th September is bank holyday in Catalonia, I didn
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 42 queries.