Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Jack Sonni, Mel Collins and... Danny Cummings?  (Read 21604 times)

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
Re: Jack Sonni, Mel Collins and... Danny Cummings?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:05 PM »
except that ex DS and MK members don't appear to do much else - except play in a tribute band.  That's what I find strange.   Why can't they move out of that particular arena?   ???

Hi Val 8),
Danny was touring with George Michael as well so he in fairness he does other projects as well as the DS thing. I know that he helped MK out in a big way when Chad jumped ship & I thought that he had done enough to hold his place but obviously not  - if I was him I'd probably be a bit pissed off but sure he got a few years & tours out of it anyaway.Thats showbiz :o
Talking about George Michael I heard an advert on the radio yesterday for a gig in the o2 in November , I think he's doing something with an orchestra,maybe along the lines of Robbie Williams a few years ago - I wonder will Danny be involved,it would be a shame to see him dropped off for this one as well.
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 01:23:46 PM »
Hi W/M,   Yes, of course, I remember Danny touring with George Michael, but that was quite a while ago.  It is what he will do now I am thinking about, so I kind of hope he is included again with GM!    I just feel sad that all that talent is being wasted in tribute bands and I am not just referring to Danny - I mean all of them, Alan, Chris, etc!    :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineGeordieboy

• Local Hero
  • Forever Mark
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
Why put this on so high level?

This is just some people playing music together after all.

No! Because everytime the name of Dire Straits is abused. Oh yes poor guys....these are only a few mistakes (announcements, newspaper articles...) made from other people than the band members.
This is for me "the shame"...not the fact that ex band members plays together the songs of the only one Maestro.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:27:39 PM by Geordieboy »

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
Well, at least the performance of Sultans with Danny and the MK clone rocks.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »
This is funny. They should call themselves "The Straights"

Offlinejacksonni

• Gone but not forgotten...
  • Guitar George
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 10:28:46 PM »
Greetings all,

Hope everyone's well & life's being kind to you all. Been awhile since I've dropped into the forums - always an interesting adventure!!

Figured I'd let you know - since this topic has been the source of some on-going discussions - I'm heading back to Italy tomorrow to play a charity gig with Marco's band joined by Mel & another "special guest" - Pick Withers. Yes. You read that correctly!

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I've had serious mixed feelings about playing these gigs - for not only my personal reasons that I've written about on my own site but ALL the reasons that have been mentioned here. The use of the name, how the gigs get marketed, etc. But in the end, the audience has a good time and in this case, some money will get raised for a cause. Also, I get a paid week's vacation in Italy.

Would YOU turn it down?

I've done this about 4 times now. It's been a great way to meet some of the other musicians who shared the DS/MK experience at various times. An they are all world class players. I'd never played w/Mel or Phil until the first gig. hand;t seen Alan or chris since the late 80's. Had never met Danny. It's been fun playing and even more fun hearing their stories & sharing the weird adventure that connects us.

But believe me, I'd rather be playing other music with these guys. I don't enjoy that part of it at all and would be happier playing the blues or some old school rock n roll with them...but that's not what's enabled us to get together. And honestly, as other forum posters have said, what's the big deal? If we were actors who'd done "Hamlet" for a time with Olivier why wouldn't we get together from time to time to re-stage the play with some other actor in the lead role?

The key thing that allows me to sleep at night after doing these fews gigs is just that...people have a good time and it's once in a while. I chose not to be part of Alan, Chris & Phil's project because it was on-going. I have no judgement on them for what they've decided to pursue with Terence but it's not for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing Pick after all these years. We met around the same time as I met MK. Even visited him at his home in Wales. Never had the chance to play together though. All the time we hung out we listened to old blues sharing our mutual deep love & respect for Howling Wolf & Muddy Waters. Who knows...maybe we'll end up in band together playing that stuff!

I understand the respect & reverence that MKs music, talent & the Ds legacy hold for people. I'm proud of the time I spent in the band & what I was able to contribute to that history. But I honestly don't think what some of us are doing sullies that, really.

Oh - and Jackal's posting of the bar band video...dude - give me a break huh??!! Admittedly I'd had more tequila that night than most. I was just hanging out with friends who were playing a biker bar in the middle of nowhere in Maine...no rehearsals - just jumped up to have some fun and most importantly not trying to prove anything to anyone. Someone called "Sultans" which usually happens when I sit in...the other musicians want to be able to say they played the tune with the barefoot guy who was in DS. So I never really see the harm in doing it. But damn!! I'm sure there's a few vids of other songs we did that night or that I've done with other bands from time to time where I play much better solos!!

peace & merry christmas!!

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »
Consider yourself told off Jackal! :D

Nice of you to drop in again Jack. I'm sure no one begrudges you playing any venue or any music you wish. You've walked where we can only dream. Keep playing man!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Jackal

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 06:29:30 AM »
Come on, Jack. Completely unrehearsed? At least not unplanned. You turn up at the gig with your Pensa strat (and amp?), and the gig is at a bikers' bar in the middle of nowhere in Maine where I assume Dire Straits is not exactly a household name. Add to that a clientele with an assumed moderate to more-than-moderate consumption of Jack Daniel's and tequila. How likely is it that these people will request Sultans of Swing? They wouldn't have recognized Mark himself had he turned up complete with mullet, headband and cowboy shirt. And I can't imagine the band leader too going:

- Yeah, so folks, eh, do you remember Dire Straits?
- Oh, yeah, I had that once. Itching like crazy, dude!
- The band Dire Straits. They were huge back in 85.
- 85? That's like ... 42 years ago, no hang on ... Bartender gimme a calculator! The one with the big buttons!
- Yeah, with tunes like Money For Nothing, Walk of Life. You know, "du-du... dududu.... dudu du-du", remember?
- (from back of the bar) Hey, play some Skynyrd, man!!!
- You know, with that balding guy with the headband? They were really the thing back then.
- You mean headband like ... Axl Rose? TAKE ME DOWN TO PARADISE CITY!!!
- Not quite, more like John McEnroe. Well, tonight we don't have the headband guy with us, but the rhythm guitar player of that band is here. YAY!!! Anyone with a vague recollection of him? Used to dance around barefoot, etc. etc.

I haven't heard a lot of your solos, so I might very well be wrong, but from the little pieces I've heard that are available from the Brothers tour, it is my opinion that you are a better rhythm player, singer and entertainer than soloist.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:36:04 AM by Jackal »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 07:01:15 AM »
merry christmas to you too Jack, and enjoy. also, i think each one on here will agree with me when i say this, enjoy the "pick experience" and pls tell him how much he is appreciated, not only on this forum, but in general, as being a world class drummer.
not interested in that youtube video, but the only thing i did not like you doing was the solo on wild west end back in the days :-)
all the rest, brilliant.
thanks for posting the bits and pieces you post here. enjoy Italy, it's great people. (especially now without Bungabunga Berlusconi) and it's awesome food.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »
Never mind, Jack, you know, Jackal is just ... a Jackal...  ;D  :lol

LE

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 08:22:36 AM »
 :) Best wishes for the silly season Jack.  ;)

Hope you stay the right side of the tequila bottle for most of it!  :-X  :disbelief  I agree with Fletch. We can all just dream about meeting/playing (for those here who play)with MK, you've done it! If having done it, means you can help out some charities from time to time(and aren't there plenty who can use a boost at the moment) then good on you!

Rollergirl

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »
Although I belong to the "who cares" camp, I have to point out that Olivier didn't write Hamlet  ;D  ;D

nitpicking mode off (yeah, like I can turn it off)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:54:51 PM by Rollergirl »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »
Great to hear from you Jack.
Too bad that you play only in Italy.

You are probably aware that the "other" Straits announced plan to record their own material... Covering Mark's music full time seem to be just a dead end.

PS : I liked your solo on WWE. And the farewell Sydney 86 concert, what a show you did, so rockin!
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »
aaah, sydney yeah...
by the way, did i already ask you what it was like back then to perform with Bob?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejacksonni

• Gone but not forgotten...
  • Guitar George
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »
HAHAHAH...Jackal - dude - that's some funny shit!! Believe it or not, DS & MK are still very well known/remembered here in the States - even in the backwoods of Maine. I cannot tell you how many times - in the oddest places - someone will come up to me after all these years and say..."you look familiar - did you play in Dire Straits?" Seriously weird to me but it happens. I should have been more specific - it's not the audience that asks for "Sultans" but the band members. Usually, it's "Money" followed by "Walk of Life" then "So Far Away' to which I shake my head "no". I'd rather play "Six Blade Knife" or "Water of Love" but very few players know those tunes. You are right, it was not unplanned. I was visiting a close friend who was my bass player in NYC for years and I sat in with his band for a couple of gigs. Unrehearsed for sure. Just classic cover tunes that most of us know, have played or certainly heard enough to fake our way through. All about having a good time. I travel with my Pensa ( and my have overdrive & delay pedals!) - especially these days as I spend much time away from home.

And yes, I'd agree with you - I'm a much better rhythm player, singer & entertainer - and I take that as a great compliment so thank you.

One headband dude from the 80's you forgot was Little Steven from the E Street Band - who I was constantly compared to & mistaken for here in the States!!

And I do know that Olivier didn't write "Hamlet" and it may not have been the best analogy but I think you got the point..

re: The solo on the end of "Wild West End" - when I've got time, if there's any interest I can tell you how that came about.

Thanks to all for the kind words, support, understanding and holiday wishes! Always fun to chat. I will certainly pass your well-wishes to Pick....and I truly hope no one brings a video camera or cellphone to the gig!! ;~)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 44 queries.