Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark writes film score!  (Read 15868 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Mark writes film score!
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
The film afore mentioned surely has just been released as 'War Horse' which we incidentally have seen twice already, and no Mark did not do the soundtrack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Horse_(film)

War horse and Private Peaceful are two different movies based in two different books of the same writter.

The first one is an american film by Steven Spielberg, and the second one a british film by Pat O'Connor (the same than CAL)

http://www.fluidityfilms.com/privatepeaceful/
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »
Many thanks for that, I have duly done some more research and found the following link too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Peaceful

Cant wait for that.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Jackal

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »

War horse and Private Peaceful are two different movies based in two different books of the same writter.

The first one is an american film by Steven Spielberg, and the second one a british film by Pat O'Connor (the same than CAL)

http://www.fluidityfilms.com/privatepeaceful/

http://www.fluidityfilms.com/privatepeaceful/cast.html

Mark is listed as composer at the bottom.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
But according to Guy, Mark hasn't recorded a soundtrack, so, I wonder what is going on?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
If you carefully read the Wiki article...you'll find why Guy probably said that...."A feature film version of Private Peaceful is due to be released in 2012.[2] Directed by Pat O'Connor with a screenplay by Simon Reade, it stars George Mackay as Teenage Tommo and Samuel Bottomley as young Tommo. The music score was to be written by Mark Knopfler - his second film score in a decade[citation needed], but Rachel Portman has been hired to do a new score."  Maybe he decided he couldn't finish it..with all that was going on.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »
Thanks Hophead -  However, I must admit to feeling a bit disappointed!    :(
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »
Thanks Hophead -  However, I must admit to feeling a bit disappointed!    :(
Me too Val..my heart sank when I read that line. His soundtracks are just haunting. :(
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
Ok, they need to update there website then, because that still says MK, but I have e-mailed Fluidity Films, so we'll wait and see what they say.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
If you carefully read the Wiki article...you'll find why Guy probably said that...."A feature film version of Private Peaceful is due to be released in 2012.[2] Directed by Pat O'Connor with a screenplay by Simon Reade, it stars George Mackay as Teenage Tommo and Samuel Bottomley as young Tommo. The music score was to be written by Mark Knopfler - his second film score in a decade[citation needed], but Rachel Portman has been hired to do a new score."  Maybe he decided he couldn't finish it..with all that was going on.

If this comes from wiki, we still have a chance, anyone could edit the wiki, I can write there that Bob Dylan is going to write the soundtrack if I want  ;D

Anyway, this piece of news, if its true, has let me down  :'(

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
If you carefully read the Wiki article...you'll find why Guy probably said that...."A feature film version of Private Peaceful is due to be released in 2012.[2] Directed by Pat O'Connor with a screenplay by Simon Reade, it stars George Mackay as Teenage Tommo and Samuel Bottomley as young Tommo. The music score was to be written by Mark Knopfler - his second film score in a decade[citation needed], but Rachel Portman has been hired to do a new score."  Maybe he decided he couldn't finish it..with all that was going on.

If this comes from wiki, we still have a chance, anyone could edit the wiki, I can write there that Bob Dylan is going to write the soundtrack if I want  ;D

Anyway, this piece of news, if its true, has let me down  :'(
So true Jbaent...Wiki is not exactly trustworthy...articles can be edited by anyone (wait..did I just see that the soundtrack credits were edited again..and the new writer is one B. Dylan??  ;D). It does seem to coincide with what Guy posted though  :(

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006235/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1667439/fullcredits#cast

And you can see, from the plot, why MK would have been considered:

Private Peaceful (2012)

A classic rites of passage story of two brothers and the exuberance and pain of their teenage love for the same girl, the pressures of their feudal family life, the horrors and folly of war and the ultimate price of courage and cowardice. Written by Guy de Beaujeu

Private Peaceful details the gritty rural lives and loves of Tommo and Charlie - two young brothers - and their poor Devonshire family from 1909 until 1916, when the outbreak of war destroys their country idyll. Both join up (one under age) leaving behind the beautiful Molly who is the love of both their lives. The young men survive gas attacks, shelling, German troops and the appalling deaths of their close friends. But one thing they cannot escape is summary military justice. Written by Guy de Beaujeu

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:44:34 PM by twm »

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
You could put together a soundtrack for this just from his existing catalogue.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
I really hope that the reason MK is not doing this score is because he will have to waste more time touring with Dylan...

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »
It is quite peculiar, because I thought that at least two of the new songs performed at the last tour, were perfect, if not intended, for the OST. On the other hand, maybe the songs will be used, but the "filling" music, will be written by that other guy, so MK won't be getting the OST credit.
And I really hope that BD was not the reason for this.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:15 AM »
If MK and BD do tour together again, I still think it's going to be this coming autumn/fall. If I am right, I can't imagine that a prospective tour so far ahead would have affected MK's availability or willingness to do the soundtrack. After all, the film's is in post-production now, according to the imdb website..

As for the last MK/BD tour having affected MK's writing of the film tour, I don't know. If, as I indictaed in another post, someone could work up a rough chronology or calendar of MK's activities over the last year or so, it might become a bit clearer.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:11:45 PM by twm »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 40 queries.