Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Isaac  (Read 21119 times)

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
Re: Isaac
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »
Well, thats a technicism (from a journalist) that I totally understand and respect. But as a reader, I enjoy a lot that direct style, so for me is great  ;D

D'accord  :)

And, I also LOVE your writting style  ;)

Did you read a couple of my articles I posted on FB?  ;D
I intend to write a proper review of the Dylan/Knopfler concert in Mannheim btw (if my boss lets me). It's going to be tough!  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 02:08:21 AM »

I intend to write a proper review of the Dylan/Knopfler concert in Mannheim btw (if my boss lets me). It's going to be tough!  ;D

As long as you protect your ears from Dylan
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Jackal

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 02:50:15 AM »
You HAVE to stick to certain rules if you publish something - the art is how to learn to use them so that your style still stays unique.

Would you care to elaborate? Which rules are they? Are they common to all kinds of publishing, or do they vary with the format (electronic vs. printed media, blogg vs. news article vs. ...)?

Love Expresso

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:25 AM »
Isaac's writing style IS great, because it keeps me reading and reading, how long the paragraphs may ever be. He is funny and often has some very pointing pictures, comparisons/analogies, is able to keep the balance between fun and seriousness, between private thoughts/feelings and the "official" part, keeps the track when it comes to a general story throughout the complete blog and can write great dialogues, too. Yes, it IS great. He even has a vocabulary that is unmistakable...  ;)

Could the development of this thread be the case of some "bashed" professional honour?? It is absolutely not indicated to compare the writing style of any
internet blog with any journalistic rules - blogging has no journalistic rules in it. It maybe should have, but look at several ones - there aren't any.

LE
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:53:11 AM by Love Expresso »

Rollergirl

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
- blogging has no journalistic rules in it. It maybe should have, but look at several ones - there aren't any.
LE

I agree, it's not the same thing.

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
Well, thats a technicism (from a journalist) that I totally understand and respect. But as a reader, I enjoy a lot that direct style, so for me is great  ;D

Oh dear...last time BD played in Mannheim my husband fell asleep. No joke!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »

[/quote]

Maybe Bob and Mark can play Hobo's Lullaby together.  I can just imagine Bob getting his vocal chords around that one to great effect!  One of my favourite Billies ones actually.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
Isaac's writing style IS great, because it keeps me reading and reading, how long the paragraphs may ever be. He is funny and often has some very pointing pictures, comparisons/analogies, is able to keep the balance between fun and seriousness, between private thoughts/feelings and the "official" part, keeps the track when it comes to a general story throughout the complete blog and can write great dialogues, too. Yes, it IS great. He even has a vocabulary that is unmistakable...  ;)

Umm, so it's great because you say so? How can that be an objective measurement? You can find pointing pictures, jokes and nice dialogues in other texts too, are they all great?

Could the development of this thread be the case of some "bashed" professional honour?? It is absolutely not indicated to compare the writing style of any internet blog with any journalistic rules - blogging has no journalistic rules in it. It maybe should have, but look at several ones - there aren't any.

Bashed professional honour? How can you assume that if you, in the very same sentence, say that blogging has no journalistic rules? That is the whole point! It should have. You are right, every John Doe can publish his own blog today and write about cereals or toilet paper, which, as a journalist, I think is already bad enough. There has been a debate going on about quality journalism. It will vanish some day because everybody thinks he can write, and readers think it's great. I write, hence I am? No.

To me, there has to be a certain amount of journalistic quality in any published text (and mind you, he published his blog as a book), and I'm sorry to say that, but Isaac's blog is a nice and entertaining diary, nothing more. Sometimes it cannot hurt to put down your pink fan goggles and look at things in an objective way. As entertaining as the entries might be, they are also narcissistic, often insulting (always complaining about people who can't speak English properly etc etc.) and self-centered. Endless blurps about sandwiches, train rides, hints to his mysterious past to keep the reader's attention because he feels important enough. It would be difficult to publish in any newspaper. The only form I can think of would be a tongue-in-cheek commentary, but a travel report (which it is, somehow)? No way. You have to stay neutral (!) and objective (!), eloquent, descriptive, interesting. That's part of the art (which I certainly don't claim to master) of great writing.

I'm sorry, but that's the way I see it (pun intended).

It's okay if you like it, and I don't want to "bash" - just trying to put things into perspective here.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »

Really? Hmm the only thing I fear is a bad headache but falling asleep... Haven't thought about that possibility! We have to poke each other to stay awake then! Where is your seat?  ;D

Rollergirl

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:31 PM »
Isaac's blog is a nice and entertaining diary, nothing more

well, yes, who said it was more?

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »

It was the "great writing" comment that got me started. Sorry for that, but I had to.  ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
Looking forward to read the first new entries of Isaac's new blog. I hope he will explain if he is (or ever was) into Bob Dylan's music.

LE

Rollergirl

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »

It was the "great writing" comment that got me started. Sorry for that, but I had to.  ;)

ok   :). Great blogging is more appropriate  :)

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »
I was thrilled to hear that Isaac was going to attend 10 concerts and, hopefully, write about them.  For me, it's another source of information about the concerts, in addition to Guy's diary, Richard's notes and AMIT posts.  I look so forward to reading all of these during a tour, especially because I'm not going to any of the concerts.  Isaac does make obnoxious comments sometimes but it's his blog.  I skip what I don't like or what doesn't interest me, and go straight to 'concert night'.
It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
I'm looking forward very much to Isaac's diary (also Guy's and Richard's) too.   It's really interesting to read his impression of the concerts, especially those I am attending and see if we agree!   ;)    I hope I meet him again in Manchester.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 48 queries.