Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Nobel Prize in Literature?  (Read 6087 times)

Love Expresso

Nobel Prize in Literature?
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:34 PM »
Bob Dylan is once again hot favourite for the Nobel Prize in Literature 2011. The winner will be announced tomorrow at 13:00 CEST.
How cool it would be for Bob (and Mark too!) to get knowledge of this while preparing for the first gig of the tour...
I, for one, will keep my fingers crossed for him, because apart from all his great music, Bob has produced some phenomenal lyrics over the last decades, I really think he has a GREAT WRITING STYLE!  ;)

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Nobel Prize in Literature?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:40 PM »
I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:01:05 AM »
Dear chaps, I think you are out of ...focus. Do you really think that dear old Bob can, or in fact should, win with the lyrics he has been providing? I mean, yes, he may have been the top song writer back in the sixties and (half-hearted to admit) seventies, but they are only fine lyrics, hardly poems. They work best only with the accompanying of music, which, in it's own right is a bit rough, to make a unique mixture of (almost) authentic work of art.  Some might add that the obvious lack of serious competitors for best lyrics, has made Bob's songs, sort of an one-eyed person amongst the blind, but comparing lyrics to actual poems and competing with works of literature, surely is a bit over our heads.
But as old Bob used to say, things have changed, and since the literature world goes through a similarly distasteful phase (the last 3-4 Nobel prizes were not "strong" enough) he might have a better chance of getting it. Mind you, I do believe that even great prizes as the Nobel prize, have a meaning that eludes us. I mean what is the use of giving the price to an already famous and rich person, whose work is more popular than any previous prize holder. So unless the purpose of the prize is other than to bring to the attention of the wider public the works of a man, (and secondarily to honor him/her), there is no reason of giving it to dear Bob. I still can't imagine why they gave Henry Kissinger the Nobel peace prize!!!
After all they gave him the Oscar and I think he has won the occasional Grammy, not that any of them has any particular value or meaning. They give them away so easily the last couple of decades. I have come to believe that any person attending regularly these ceremonies will eventually end up with one award.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:27:01 AM »

@jbaent: Ok then, sorry, you are right, I will mention you as (c) next time I use it, if I ever will...  ;) it just fitted perfectly with this topic...  ;D

@vgonis2002: I was referring to the news that Bob is indeed number one favourite at the betting shops at the moment. As the date of announcement coincidences with the tour start, I indeed thought it would be funny for him to get it. Saying that, I know of course there are lots of other authors that are more worthy of winning this price. I think that every decade has had some great names and some ... rather unknown winners.

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 07:46:01 AM »
Dear LE, thank you very much for taking the time to answer to my post. I do appreciate it, as well as the actual content of the answer. Even if this admitting it to you somehow spoils the effect I was aiming for, I was, of course, taking he whole matter the way it deserved: lightly. Or if you prefer jokingly. I now see that it has completely failed to reach the target at all and I have to deal with the topic in a completely serious way. After all I am the proud owner of all the records dear Bob has issued and a wider audience from the literature circles could only mean that the value of my collection would rise in the case he wins the Nobel.
So you see, even though I am not actually betting on him, I, on the other hand don't have any serious objections and wish him good luck. After all little it would change the terrible state I am in. And that exactly shows the power of songs "like a rolling stone". They can only bring fame and fortune to the composer, but not change the world by themselves, but only if they are accompanied with the fitting prizes. And if this is not funny, I don't know what is.
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »
Anyone ready to cancel a MK/BD gig and go to a Tomas Transtr

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
where is goldenheart for some dylan bashing when you need her  :lol
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:36:20 PM »
Tomas Tanstr
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:48:21 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
where is goldenheart for some dylan bashing when you need her  :lol

Pottel my dear, I've reconciled with Bob, sorry to disappoint you  ;D

As for the Literature Nobel Prize, for me, that whole thing lost credibility when Elfriede Jelinek got it. Nuff said.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
Too bad the recording notice saw the light late today. A great paragraph , a masterpiece of literature. Bob would have won the Nobel Prize if it had been issued earlier.   

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.613 seconds with 44 queries.