Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #4:2011.10.10, MEN Arena, Manchester, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 48881 times)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
Re: Concert #4:2011.10.10, MEN Arena, Manchester, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
Well, as Knopfler fans, we are very used to see how humans MK and all the band members are, in many circunstancies. We are not used to that kind of "stars" like Dylan and his strange behaviours...

;D ;D
Guy is a very polite person. I once met him in the street, he didn't recognize me  :o ;) but he answered.  

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »
did he smile back T85?  8)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »
did he smile back T85?  8)
I can't say  ;) 
If I say no or use Guy style answer it would ruin his complain against Bob.
Indeed he did smile back.  :)

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »

Well, as Knopfler fans, we are very used to see how humans MK and all the band members are, in many circunstancies. We are not used to that kind of "stars" like Dylan and his strange behaviours...

;D ;D

That's probably the real issue. As Dylan fans we know he is an odd ecentric old guy and we find it amusing when that freaks other people out.

OfflineMarkB

• Guitar George
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
One thing to take into consideration about Dylan is he's been in the public eye since his early 20's and he has always been someone who provokes strong reactions.

I have read a lot about him and there are some scary stories about obsessive 'fans' who follow him around(one woman apparently managed to book rooms in hotels he was staying at during one tour using a credit card from his record company), then there was an interviewer who mentioned to Dylan that he met a woman claiming to be Bob's wife in the bar of the hotel he(the journalist) was staying at.

When you read about some of the scary things he has had to deal with it's no surprise if he is very wary (remember also that Mark Chapman also apparently had an obsession with Dylan).

I just think he is a very complicated man-during his US tour earlier this year, a youngster brought a harmonica to the shows, got to the front of the stage and handed it to Bob who signed it and was apparently extremely charming. There are other stories about fans who have met him by chance and were delighted to find him friendly and very shy.

I wouldn't read anything at all into him not returning Guy's smile, as has been said he may not have noticed Guy smiling towards him because Dylan apparently has had bad eyesight for years but refuses to wear contract lenses.  One of the most revealing comments I read about Dylan came from Chuck Plotkin who co-produced the Shot Of Love album with Bob. Chuck said that Dylan was someone you could sit and have a beer with and watch sport on the TV and he was concerned with issues that most other people care about but that he was by no means an 'ordinary guy'.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »
what did he mean with that last phrase, "no ordinary guy"? did he elaborate on that?
oh then there's also Mark's own comments from back when i was playing on the slow train coming album, about the religious weird stuff and shit...

OfflineMarkB

• Guitar George
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »
what did he mean with that last phrase, "no ordinary guy"? did he elaborate on that?
oh then there's also Mark's own comments from back when i was playing on the slow train coming album, about the religious weird stuff and shit...

I think Plotkin was saying that Dylan's extraordinary talent meant he was not an 'ordinary' person-he gave an example of Bob getting lost driving to the studio even though he had been to the place numerous times before. He also implied some of the musicians were irritated by Bob's eccentric ways(not sure about that though because just about everyone playing on that record had worked with Dylan before and must have known what to expect.)

Knopfler was apparently shocked when he realised that Dylan had converted to Christianity and that all of the songs on the Slow Train Coming album were overtly religious. That would make sense because I don't believe many people realised Dylan had embraced Christianity until the album was released. Bob & Mark also had a disagreement about the final Infidels mix, Mark had to go on tour and wanted to finish the record when he returned but Bob completed it by himself and Knopfler was not happy. Any bad feeling between the two must not have lasted long because didn't Bob guest at a few DS shows a couple of years after Infidels came out.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »

I think Plotkin was saying that Dylan's extraordinary talent meant he was not an 'ordinary' person-he gave an example of Bob getting lost driving to the studio even though he had been to the place numerous times before. He also implied some of the musicians were irritated by Bob's eccentric ways(not sure about that though because just about everyone playing on that record had worked with Dylan before and must have known what to expect.)

Knopfler was apparently shocked when he realised that Dylan had converted to Christianity and that all of the songs on the Slow Train Coming album were overtly religious. That would make sense because I don't believe many people realised Dylan had embraced Christianity until the album was released. Bob & Mark also had a disagreement about the final Infidels mix, Mark had to go on tour and wanted to finish the record when he returned but Bob completed it by himself and Knopfler was not happy. Any bad feeling between the two must not have lasted long because didn't Bob guest at a few DS shows a couple of years after Infidels came out.
and they met in the 90ies.

daylon

« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2011, 09:29:05 PM »
I haven't seen so much concern for who said hi to who, who knows who and who did or didn't smile at me since the last time I was visiting my son's primary school. You people are funny. :lol :lol :lol
True

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:47 PM »
Any bad feeling between the two must not have lasted long because didn't Bob guest at a few DS shows a couple of years after Infidels came out.

Downunder, spring 1986. And Guy was also on stage.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMarkB

• Guitar George
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
I found the quote from Chuck Plotkin, it's from a Dylan biography:
" Can you sit down and talk to him...have a beer and watch a football game? Sure. Does he give a damn about a lot of the same things that everyone else seems to give a damn about? From time to time, in certain ways, up to a certain point. Is he a regular guy? No. Why would you want him to be?"

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
Any bad feeling between the two must not have lasted long because didn't Bob guest at a few DS shows a couple of years after Infidels came out.

Downunder, spring 1986. And Guy was also on stage.
twice, both bob visiting and performing on a straits show, and vice versa.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »
I haven't seen so much concern for who said hi to who, who knows who and who did or didn't smile at me since the last time I was visiting my son's primary school. You people are funny. :lol :lol :lol

Haha Arabia, well it is good and healthy when people laugh, so that is why we not only have discussions and share our opinions, BUT also have a lot of fun here at AMIT!

Well, a legend is a legend, and many of them have a "diva" style, Bob looks like one of that kind...

True, but I have problems with that.

I have often wondered, if MK (or others artists I like) was a "diva", would I still enjoy listening to his music? Would I want to see him live every time he tours?

Does the fact that he seems to be an humble man adds to my appreciation of his work?

Discuss.... ;D

Rollergirl, that is a good question!.........I admire Mark for his music, for his songwriting, for producing and yeaahhh also because, despite being so famous and rich, Mark still looks like he can be my man next door!  :P hhhmmm wouldn't be bad! ;D ......It is great to know that he has a big heart for charity and not everytime calls the newspapers to tell how wonderful he is!

If he would be a nasty man who would treat women like dirt, if he only would be in the news because of acting stupid or because he always would be drunk or using drugs, I sure wouldn't be the fan like I am now!

Btw, I told I admire Mark, but also Guy and the band members seems to me normal guys and I am proud to be a fan of them!

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »
I don't know who Mark really is in private and don't want to know. I just want to admire him as an artist, and as a personal drug, only his music count.

I like when the sound of his guitar make tilt my brain - like an orgasm!
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Rollergirl

« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
I don't know who Mark really is in private and don't want to know. I just want to admire him as an artist, and as a personal drug, only his music count.

you don't really know, that's true, me neither, but he appears to be nice chap. But OK, it wouldn't matter to you.

I am like Fieneke on this one, I don't think his music would have the same effect on me if he appeared (again we wouldn't know for sure) to be a bastard. I would still like it I think but it wouldn't be that intense.

It's probably a girly thing, what do you think?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 42 queries.