Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #4:2011.10.10, MEN Arena, Manchester, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 48735 times)

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
Re: Concert #4:2011.10.10, MEN Arena, Manchester, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »

Well instead of boring Sonny Liston a good version Baloney Again would be fine . Just Mark and Guy. Or GH or GL.

I want a Baloney Again - Corn Beef City pairing! ;D

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
huh? that would so not work, imho....
(and i like Roger...even though i idolise dave...)
Well, would not be worse than no interaction with BD.
I would live to hear TR next to Shine On, BIA next to WYWH, MFN next to Money :)
And I love *both* Roger and Dave, only both together with their respective strength and weaknesses made it so great...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:03 PM »

But if Roger would only perform solo material I would be 100% certain not to stay at his set.
Well, the Pros and Cons is so-so, Radio Kaos is terrible, but Amused to Death is a great masterpiece IMHO. Listen to "What God Wants part III" with Jeff Beck and see (well, listen to) what I'm talking about...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:09 PM »

Well instead of boring Sonny Liston a good version Baloney Again would be fine . Just Mark and Guy. Or GH or GL.

...lost for words on that one ....lol... :lol
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 11:55:10 PM »

But if Roger would only perform solo material I would be 100% certain not to stay at his set.
Well, the Pros and Cons is so-so, Radio Kaos is terrible, but Amused to Death is a great masterpiece IMHO. Listen to "What God Wants part III" with Jeff Beck and see (well, listen to) what I'm talking about...

[OT]
Done already once - non merci.
Sorry but musically, without Dave, Roger is just nowhere.
[/OT]
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 11:58:48 PM »

Dear Superval, it's 9.00 pm your time, when I post this and I assume you are still listening to Mark's music! As I told in my mail, you have been in my thoughts a few times today and I am sure with the setlist mentioned in other threads, that you and your husband and all the fans have a WONDERFUL time!

I am looking forward to read your review! ;)

Ingrid how many concerts do you have to go?

Fieneke
Hi Fieneke, I do 4 more, total 5. Next is Antwerp

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 12:01:49 AM »

The tour with BD would be a great opportunity to bring back to life some songs from Communiqu

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »
Hey everyone...left early from the gig as did hundreds more cos Bob Dylan was awful..there were a lot of angry long time fans of his slagging Bob off........quite amusing really!!!!

Setlist

Wye Aye Man
Cleaning my gun
STP
HIll farmers
Sonny Liston
Privateering
DWB
The new celtic one (ABsolutely out of this world...brought me to tears)
Marbletown
Brothers
So far away

Knoplfer was in fine form and got a great reception apart of a few dick heads from the DYlan camp......

Mike got a special mention as he is from Manchester and john mccusker looked like he was having the time of his life!!!!!

I felt sorry for Bob tonight....he is really damaging his amazing legacy with these terrible performances....i just hope he calls it a day after London...someone needs to have a quiet word.....great great songwriter and that is how he should be remembererd not a 70 year old on stage barking and howling like a dog!!!!

So proud to be an MK fan tonight as he played so beautifully and articulately and played the music he wants to....not looking back living on hype but looking forward and constantly developing...even though some of crowd were shouting for him to play songs they knew...MK stuck to his guns and delivered brilliance...

Just hope the reviews in the paper reflect the truth about what happened tonight!!!

OK bedtime

xx

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »
Cheers MB. Glad you had a good night!!  :)

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 12:15:13 AM »
The "new celtic one" is entitled "Haul Away". I've heard the youtube cover of it and it is an absolutely beautiful song...curious if anyone has loaded a better version of it anywhere. Anybody know?
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
I don't know if you are a big BD fan MB, or have seen him much before? I have been going to see Bob since 1993, and have seen 21 shows since then, most years, the 21st being at Braehead on Saturday. That was my second MK gig, as I am a fairly new MK fan - my first was Glasgow SECC last year.

From a BD point of view, the last great show I saw, before Saturday was 2003. Before that, I saw good shows in 2000 and 1995. Shows in 2001, 2002, 1998, 1997 and 1993 were mixed to poor. After 2003, I was excited about seeing him again, but saw dissapointing shows in 2005, then a dreadful show in 2005 and decided it was time to pack it in. I saw my first show in 4 years in Edinburgh in 2009, front row. I enjoyed seeing him so close but the performance was pretty poor.

On Saturday night, I was in a very "Dylan" section, but all around me were very respectful during MK's excellent set. I, as a fan of both, loved MK's set - hearing the new songs, and some other favourites such as Hillfarmer and What It Is - and the final two of BIA and a tremendous Speedway left the hall very excited - all fans - the place was very full and most people enjoyed it.

Then Dylan came out - and as a long time fane, who has seen many shows all across the scale, I can tell you that the Braehead performance was a wonder. One of the most fun shows I have seen Dylan perform, and the best "performance"  I have seen from him - out in front, muc in hand, playing the showman, performing the songs, acting them in some cases - some terrific phrasing, and great to watch. Tangled, Honest, THC - all superb. The set was tight, no filler, just as Mark's was, and Dylan was animated and loving it. Unless there has been a massive change in a couple of days I wonder if people just judge only by what they like rather than other context? It is what MK fans are accusing some of doing during Mark's set. Dylan band, with the wonderful Sexton, was sparkly and funky - loud for sure - it is a different thing to Mark's band. But full of energy and vim. Stuff like Hard Rain and Hattie were done very well, the encores really bristled. This was punky, spunky stuff with attitude from a guy of 70. The voice is the voice. I have heard it much, much worse than Saturday night. It was rough, but it wasn't mumbled and he was really expressing the lines.

Anyway - just wanted to say "hi" this is a first post for me as a Mark newbie of sorts - and I wanted to put the view of a long time Dylan fan who was knocked out, after a long period of cynicism, by what I saw the other night.  

OnlineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »
Thanks for the set MB. No Corned Beef City tonight then?

I have been warned by a family member who is a fan of Dylan's that he is rather unpredictable. One night he can be superb and the next he can be utterly diabolical. It's really a case of getting lucky and catching him on a good night - 'good' that is in the context of Dylan as he is now!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 12:38:03 AM »
Hi everyone!  Sorry to be so late, but I have just returned to the hotel!

I see that MB has already sent the set-list, so I won't repeat it.

Firstof all I had a lovely surprise - we were sitting next to Isaac and it was really lovely to meet him Again.

Anyway, Mark and the band were fantastic and the two new songs were beautiful - Privateering and Haul Away.   I think they will soon become favourites.

Bob was terrible and I couldn't tell one song from another, except when I recognised the odd word, also he was far too LOUD!   We resorted to earplugs in the end.  I don't think I will bother to see him ever again!

Some people shouted "Get him off" in the middle of Mark's set and I felt so sorry for him, but Mark was dignified as ever and played wonderful guitar.  Someone else shouted "Play something we know Mark"!

I will write more tomorrow, but it's 11.35pm now and I am very tired!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:58:30 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:12 AM »
Will that be your only show for this tour superval or are you coming Bournemouth again this year?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 12:49:21 AM »
Hi Rolleyway Man,  It's my only show, but I would love to have seen Mark and the band again, but as I said, I think once is enough for Bob!   :)I'm looking forward now to MK's next tour!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 36 queries.