Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: boring repetative set lists  (Read 28383 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: boring repetative set lists
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »
Consistent, well-rehearsed, slick  -   sounds fine to me!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
May I ask, "Superval", what you would do if MK suddenly started to adopt what I might term "the Dylan approach"? Continue to attend his concerts? Or not bother? I would suggest that you would take the former course of action. This is really the view that Fieneke expressed - that is, go along and try to enjoy whatever MK chooses to do.

To answer your question, Pottel, we did not go to Glasgow shows or any other UK shows so far. Very recently, we moved  house to the south of England, after more than 25 years on the border with Scotland, so Bournemouth was very convenient for us. Had the move not taken place, we would have stayed with relatives in the area. However, we couldn't use the tickets for The Straits at City Hall in Newcastle and they were sold on.

As for the work rate of these two artists, I would much rather leave that to another day. I think the answer to that question would be very one-sided anyway. I could provide endless examples of Dylan's prodigious workrate and, even my better half, the real MK fan in this household, thinks MK is basically pretty lazy.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
So you believe he 'isn't considering' a segment of his fan base who see multiple shows, and he 'doesn't give a fuck' about those who collect live recordings of his show?

And you are OK with that?

Speaking for myself definitively yes.

First recorded his shows is only a privilege he grants us and for that we can only be nothing else than 110% thankfull.
Collecting live recordings is our matter not his.

His matter is playing for the plublic in the house and deliver from his point of view the best show he is able to do and the bottom line regarding the setlist choice is "take it or leave it".

If I am bored to death about the lack of change [and actualy I am] I can express my concerns and discuss about it on forums like this one but I know that in the end that this will not change MK minds and wether I accept his choices - wether  I won't attend more than one show or even no show at all.

"Mark never plays anything he doesn't want to just to please the crowds because he feels he has lost the incentive to play them now"

So he doesn't play for the pleasure of his fans but does what he wants ie: Mark being Mark?

Yes because then he may not play the mandatory ones with full of passion and thus we may ends with sub-standard versions and think  Oh sh!t look how he is tired to play that one.

And Mark is talented enough to think that what he will choose too play will please the crowd he is playing for. Even if it is not the "easiest way".

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:57:05 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »
May I ask, "Superval", what you would do if MK suddenly started to adopt what I might term "the Dylan approach"? Continue to attend his concerts? Or not bother? I would suggest that you would take the former course of action. This is really the view that Fieneke expressed - that is, go along and try to enjoy whatever MK chooses to do.

If MK adopted "the Dylan approach" I would still attend his concerts, of course!   Why wouldn't I - I love MK's music far too much!  We would have more varied concerts, which would be fine, but I don't think the quality would suffer, Mark being Mark! ;)  It is hypothetical, anyway!   Whatever MK chooses to do is OK with me!  :)    Btw   "slick" is not necessary!   ;D

May I ask you the same question, twm!   If Bob's concerts became more predictable but consistent in quality, would you still attend, or abandon 40+ years of following Bob?   ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:44:21 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »
May I ask you the same question, twm!   If Bob's concerts became more predictable but consistent in quality, would you still attend, or abandon 40+ years of following Bob?   ;)

For myself the answer would be I go to one show per year and enjoy it greatly. I'd prefer to continue seeing several a year and enjoy some more than others.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
Earlier, I expressed the view that the performer should perform the songs he or she wants to perform and, to add to my previous opinion, to perform then how he or she wishes to perform them.

In fact, there have been Dylan tours with virtually identical songlists night after night. The first of his concerts I ever attended, way back when, had the same songs every show. I wish I had attended more shows on the tour but to do that was rare then (not to mention the expense for a student). The following year, which I did not attend, the set list was the same each night. Again, not only do I wish I had attended a show (I was headed elsewhere at the time) but wish I had gone to more than one.  More than a decade later, he did a tour with an almost identical set of songs each night. That was in the States and I didn't go but I would like to have been there.

My overall point, though, is not that one approach is superior to the other but that artists like Dylan and Knopfler evolve and develop. That's how they stay relevant. And that's how they keep interested in what they're doing. And that's why we stay involved in their music and their (for want of a better word) careers.

That's the long answer. The short answer is "Yes".

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 09:19:40 PM »
Yup, Bob is Bob and that is why I am not a fan of Bob! ;)

Mark is Mark and that is why I am a fan and admire him for his music and the person he is!  ;D

Fieneke

...Music to my ears.  ;D

ROFL Geordieboy thank you!  ;D

Twm, I wasn
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:24:42 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »
What a beautiful story Fieneke!
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 10:06:54 PM »
What a beautiful story Fieneke!
Yes, don't you just love her?  :D

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
As a sidenote to this..I don't think that anyone here could have possibly predicted that Mark would omit both SOS and R&J off of the setlists. As guy said on his forum..Mark wanted to change things up a bit. 

True; I was expecting to see R&J, but he has omitted this song. Possibly a duet later on in the tour :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
As a sidenote to this..I don't think that anyone here could have possibly predicted that Mark would omit both SOS and R&J off of the setlists. As guy said on his forum..Mark wanted to change things up a bit. 

True; I was expecting to see R&J, but he has omitted this song. Possibly a duet later on in the tour :)

NO, PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:o :o :o
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »

NO, PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:o :o :o
Yeeeaahh...ummm..definitely a resounding NO on that one..having a difficult time coping with the image of Mark leering in Bob's direction as he sings.."you and me babe..how bout it?"   eew  eew  eew   :-X
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:44:38 PM by Hophead »
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »
But Mark loves Bob  ;D
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »
That must be the most interesting topic, after the new album spring - surprise. I see several patterns of thought, but I can't understand why nobody stated the obvious: attending a concert is a full experience. You participate in it body and soul. Recordings are somehow a lesser experience, a predictable experience that comes from actually remembering the music, after a couple of spins. The live act offers excitement because it is unique, one of a kind, that even great video and exceptional recordings can not replace. In a way, the first time you see a video it is close to the original experience of being at a concert. You don't know what to expect. Of course that could be said for the times before the Internet, where you can see over 200 versions of each MK composition and if they come from the same tour, most likely they will share great similarities. (I think that he even wears the same shirt over and over again :lol )  I enjoyed Alchemy very much for that reason. On the night was not that sweet. I have already heard a live from Basel over the radio, 3 years before the official release and have found several bootlegs.
Christopher Small, used to say that the recorded music is not really a music experience between the artist and the listener, since you learn the music by heart, scribbled in your mind and when you play the record again, it is more of an aid,  you actually "play" the record in your mind. Todd Rundgren said in a very interesting interview that musicians should not complain about the profits lost from illegal downloading, instead go out on the road and make money by playing live, because that is what musicians are about.
About the repetitiveness, I can not complain, because even though I collect bootlegs, I have given up listening carefully to notice differences, in an attempt to enjoy the music as a unique live experience. I do not cross the line of asking "why play the same list over and over" because I have to wonder then how sane I am. And the answer for a fan is bitter. In order to be a fan, you have to lose  sanity. I mean who would waste so much time talking for MK's set-list, when the  world is falling apart? Who would collect 2000 bootleg CDs (not me) when the time he has is so little to even listen to them once each? I was lucky to see him once, and I guess if the comes again I would go to see him again. But to expect from him to play what I want, is a peculiar thought that can only cross a fans mind, because his/her attachment with the artist, the long hours spent for the loved musician affects the mind, that thinks it has rights upon the artist.
As for dear old Bob, hats off, for still playing big venues all over the world, and more to his musicians that have to put up with different set lists every night. Nobody gets bored and they can claim to have a genuine feeling as street musicians, enjoying the unexpected just like their audience. (Yes they do rehearsals, but most likely they rehears patterns and not songs).
As for the fans and bootleggers, we are a crazy gang. The more time spend on MK the less we have for other things. If that fulfill us it is OK, if not maybe we should try listening to Mozart. He is not around to bother us with tours and bootlegs.              
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:55:54 AM by VGONIS2002 »
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:36 AM »
But to expect from him to play what I want, is a peculiar thought that can only cross a fans mind, because his/her attachment with the artist, the long hours spent for the loved musician affects the mind, that thinks it has rights upon the artist.

Thank you for posting this..I for one feel that I don't have the right to say what Mark should  play...after all..it is his art..not mine. I'm just along for the ride.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.