Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: new bob compilation, song with MK on guitar?  (Read 8841 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: new bob compilation, song with MK on guitar?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
Hardly a compilation for a wide audience, is it?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineMarkB

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »
Trouble In Mind was recorded during the Slow Train Coming sessions in 1979, I have a feeling it was released as a b-side to one of the singles from the album.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »
(man gave names to all the )   Animals

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:30:41 AM »
This PURE compilation was put together by Sony Germany and copies are due to arrive in the UK shortly. My copy is on order already. I haven't seen the sources of all the songs but , basically, this CD gathers together unusual tracks which are not on regular releases. The three rarities are: (1) Trouble in Mind, the B-side of 1979 45 rpm single, said to be from the Brazilian release and to include a verse omitted from singles released in other sales territories; (2) Moonshiner, an October 1962 live recording from the Gaslight, a Greenwich Village club, and only previously officially available on a Starbucks CD; and (3) Spanish is the Loving Tongue, a 1970 recording issued as the B-side of the 1971 Watching The River Flow 45 rpm single and only otherwise available on a  3-LP Japanese compilation entitled Masterpieces that was later released in Australia and, later still, released on CD there. Spanish Is The Loving Tongue is the song by Charles Badger Clark, wonderfully delivered by Dylan, solo at the piano - a gem of a performance that really does deserve wider circulation. I'd be prepared to say it is worth the rpice of the CD for this performance alone,

Trouble In Mind was part of the SLOW TRAIN COMING sessions, being recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound Studio (Sheffield, Alabama) on 30 April 1979. This was the first of the Slow Train Coming sessions and Trouble In Mind was the first of the songs done for the session. The single was take 7 of eight attempts at the song. The first take was a false start and the rest are complete takes but the last verse of Take 7 was edited out for the single release and overdubs for Take 7 were done on 3,5 and 6 May 1979. The musicians present at the 30 April session were: Bob Dylan (guitar & vocal), Mark Knopfler (guitar), Barry Beckett (piano & organ), Tim Drummond (bass), Pick Withers (drums), Carolyn Dennis, Helena Springs, Regina Havis (background vocals). It is not known what was added at the overdub session nor if any of the musicians individual contributions were removed at these sessions or the mixing stage. [And, No, I didn't remember all of this session information without checking first].

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »
TWM, thorough and precise. Thank you. Sony with the tolerance of Dear old Bob  issue this compilations with a couple of songs as carrots. I thought that they were issuing the everlasting Bootleg series for that purpose. Even though they are a bit pricey (at least the starting vinyl price), the fact that they contain only unreleased songs, make them worth the purchase (even though the Bootleg 8 was a lame marketing move with at least 3 different formats (not counting the vinyl, or the one ordered straight from Dylan.com that had the luck factor in order to get an extra 7'').  What's the use of putting a hard to find song in a compilation, other than to force fans to pay for the same old songs for the hundredth time? Even Mojo and Uncut complaint about the tactics, but unfortunately nobody heard. Business as usual. And then they wonder why people prefer illegal downloading.
And by the way any of Dylan fans, is it my ears or "Beyond here lies nothin'" copies the music of "Further on up the road"? 

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:27:51 AM »
thanks TWM, as always. i believe i have that starbucks gaslight tapes cd....my order from amazon.de is in the pocket since yesterday :-)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »
The "price-i-ness" of the Dylan compilations/box-sets really started with the original release of BIOGRAPH, which was on vinyl. Indeed, the set was compiled and configured for 5-LP release, some of its coherence being adversely affected by its transfer to 3 CDs - not to mention a few errors made with the first transfer to CD - now corrected. BIOGRAPH, with all its notes including Dylan talking about some of the songs, was (and still is) a favourite "listen" for me.

It is easy to forget that, when The Bootleg Series first appeared, it was a bit of a risk for Dylan and Columbia Records. Of course, hard-core Dylan fans were going to buy it come what may but what about the music media and all the rest of the record-buying public? As it happened, the music press were bowled over by it and the rest followed. It is still pretty astounding that, at the time of its release in 1991, someone who had released (what was it?) 25 or 30 albums already, could release 3 full CDs of previously unreleased and very high quality material, covering 1961 to 1989 [The "1991" in the album title was a bit of a swizz, in that it referred to a 1991 overdub of a 1989 recording, clearly done to allow them to say it covered 30 years from 1961].

That first Bootleg Series release (VOLUMES 1-3) sold well enough for Columbia to continue with it. The subsequent releases were different, in that two (VOLUMES 4 and 6) were of individual concerts and one (VOLUME 5) was drawn from one tour. VOLUME 7 covered a period of time but was a special case because of the link with the Scorsese biopic NO DIRECTION HOME. VOLUME 8 ("Tell Tale Signs") was similar to the first release in the series, in that it covered a period of time - but times had changed. The sale of physical discs has declined and high-priced retrospective releases (such as the Miles Davis box-sets) were more common. The record company took the decision to release VOLUME 8 in two formats. The double-CD version was similar in format and size (and price, as I recall) to its immediate predecessors but the triple CD version was something different. It had a hard cover slipcase, with two hard cover books and three CDs, plus a couple of other extras available, but it came with an horrendous price tag. The adverse reaction amongst fans was enormous and fell on Dylan and his management as much as on the record company, despite the pricing decision being the prerogative of the company. The pricing of this De Luxe edition was seen as cynical and exploitative -and was a probably a try-on by the record company to see what it could get away with. I doubt we shall see its like again - for quite a while anyway.

VOLUME 9 (the demo recordings done by Dylan for his early music publishing company) returned to the standard format but was not without its controversies - but this post started as a brief note and just grew. Enough already!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
TWM thank you for taking the time to write such long posts. Even though somehow I lost your opinion on this matter, (I guess you don't have a problem with it) it is still good that the reactions were well heard. I believe if I was to impose a question like this to the execs of Sony, I would get the usual "don't like don't buy" reply. Of course this reply is a dead end street one, since the results are one sided. Think: if many people don't buy, the remaining stock will end up in the stock bin at ridiculous price and there won't be any follow ups. But the reason for this would be the original no-sense (in reality only for fast profit)  pricing. 
I don't and can't buy the logic of high risk - high profit, especially for the music business, because if I do their whole argument for buying the "product" at such high prices in order to fund new promising acts, just can't hold. You either do it to profit, signing bands that will bring in money with the very first release mined for hits,  or for the sake of good music, taking into account that you should make something out of it (rarely for both but this is all down to good luck and the hard working band-artist). But I haven't seen any new quality acts for a long long time.

The story of Biograph is known, and I believe that Columbia had done the research target group consumer statistics data control (whatever it is called  :lol) to avoid such unpleasant surprises. Orders in advance, special radio shows and gifts to the producers, TV advertising, and a booming generation (baby boomer)  that was raised with Dylan and could afford such an album. So it was not such a big risk, as they try to present it, or let's say it was a calculated risk.

As for the bootleg series, the unreleased material for such a prolific and long time composer as Dylan is hardly astounding. The B-sides of the singles, compiled would take a 5 CD collection to hold and since he is such a great composer, they would all be of the highest standards.    It was customary for the artists (less so nowadays) to provide a special (many times throw away) B-side as a gift to the devoted fans who would buy the single. Let's not forget that the single is a relic of the late 50ies mid 60ies, and since the 70ies has become nothing but a promotional device for the money maker LP.  So  by using the term Bootleg, one would expect only recordings that have been released as bootlegs or would be probable targets for future bootlegers. That includes the live recordings and the GWW or unearthed demos. The b-sides are a completely different thing. Usually groups with a wide fan base gather them all together and give them to their audience as a treat. Again I point out that the name of the game is not music, but profit. And I also note that the easy answer is "don't like, don't buy". But I can't help but wonder for the wide audience releases as well. Many artists, including MK, release the first edition (?) of each album in a limited number with a bonus disc of material, to cover the fan base. This edition, is usually very pricey, but offers something additional and hard to find, (also in digipack or in a card envelope) which make the "product" more desirable and less likely to lose it's value. And since the exact amount of such editions are hard to know (actually known only by the execs) it is a matter of fabricated collectibles. Even numbered editions are a laugh with the price tag they have. A collectible is collectible for different reasons and not just a promotional well advertised stand. But the standard editions that cost dearly when first published lose almost entirely their value after 6 months. They flood the market with cheap CDs after 6 months. Why not do it right from the start? Makes you wonder.  Anybody can see that the terms used are financial and not musical. Somewhere there the music is lost.     
The words to look out for are: fans, desire, consumer, money, product, collector. No music in that.  And all in all, they are forcing the consumer to dislike the whole situation and unfortunately reflect these feelings to the artist.  Ultimately it would be the death of the recorded music as we know it. Maybe it is a good thing, houses will have more space if all the music files are stored in a PC, and not having the spacey vinyl or CD collections, but somehow i believe the soul of music, the special bonds between the art and the audience and the human contact that was possible through the whole record experience will die. After all it is 2011. For the European consumer this means that he can enjoy free of charge all the recordings made from 1961 backwards. Have they though of that?

I got carried away, but it is a topic that interests me greatly. If it interests more people and would like to contribute with their ideas, it might be better to be a separate topic.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »
my introduction to the dylan world actually did not come with infidels, or slow train, but with Vol.1-3 of this series, back then, i actually bought the cassette box of it, still treasure it to this day, and my favorite of the whole series must be vol 8...the series of dreams on it for example blew me away, and still does.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
And a great introduction that was Pottel! I was introduced to Bob's work with 3 albums given to me by a girl fellow student. The Freewheelin', Oh Mercy, Blonde on Blonde. They were favourites and still are, but I guess it has to do with the fact that they are actually among Bob's best anyway. It was 1992.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
When I was young, we didn't have record player or hi-fi in the house (only a radio and a TV), so my "baptisms of fire" were the result of attending concerts and going to clubs and the like. The first Dylan album I actually bought was Highway 61 Revisted, very soon after it was released in the States - even though I didn't personally have the means of playing it. I was away from home and played it over and over on someone else's machine. Returning home, I took it across London on the tube and, since it wouldn't fit in my bag, carried it with me. Several people asked me about it, as the album wasn't yet released in the UK. Being a student and living frugally, I succombed to an offer to buy it from me. It was more than two years later before I got a record player of my own.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:15:19 PM by twm »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
Just got PURE but not played it yet. This posting is just to say that the other tracks (that is, NOT the three tracks I mentioned before) are from regular Dylan releases, just not tracks that have appeared before on Greatest Hits or similar compilations. The compiler is a Dylan fan, by the way.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
Hey TWM, give us more details when you can. Which version of Trouble in mind is used? The edited which can be found in the 7" or the full unreleased? Thank you!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »
I've just moved house and the hi-fi isn't yet hooked up but I played the opening few tracks of the CD in the car earlier today. "Trouble In Mind" is a six-verse version, as per the official lyrics:-

Trouble In Mind

I got to know, Lord, when to pull back on the reins
Death can be the result of the most underrated pain
Satan whispers to ya,
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:09:44 PM by twm »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.