Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 599143 times)

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1065 on: August 30, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »
The guitars used doesn't mean a thing if you check the lists of guitars and songs Guy posted in his diary.
Why not?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1066 on: August 30, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
No '58/9 LP and no sig Strat so I don't think RnR at all.  These look like country instruments to me.  Suitable for Hillbilly or Chet sounds and that is fine for me.  I've always thought Mark is great at country sounds on the guitar.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #1067 on: August 30, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
No '58/9 LP and no sig Strat so I don't think RnR at all.  These look like country instruments to me.  Suitable for Hillbilly or Chet sounds and that is fine for me.  I've always thought Mark is great at country sounds on the guitar.

Not on that pic... But he has used them on the new album i think... i hope ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1068 on: August 30, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
I mean that if Mk uses a "rock type" guitar, doesn't means he used it to play a rock song, if I am not wrong in Fish and Bird he used a telecaster which if you asks Springsteen is the rock and roll guitar...

When I see that guitars, they don't tell me anything about which style of songs are bring played on, Mk uses them just to add musical colours to the song.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1069 on: August 30, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »
If a Fender Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul means rock songs, then Redbud Tree and Go, Love are two of the rock songs in Privateering?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1070 on: August 30, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
Check this and find if type of guitar and type of songs have any relation:

1964 Fender Stratocaster: Sailing to Philadelphia

1954 Fender Stratocaster:Heart full of holes/Fish and the bird/Punish the monkey/Behind with the rent/Let it all go/We can get wild/Remembrance day/The car was the one/I used to could/A quality shoe/Two skinny kids/Everybody pays/Summer of love/Shangri-la.

Mark Knopfler Signature Stratocaster: Redbud tree/Occupation blues.

Pensa MK 'D': Not on anything released, only recorded live on Kingdom of Gold. (I accepted Kingdom of Gold as the correct answer)

Grosh Electrajet: Yon two crows/Piper to the end.

Gibson ES330: Madam Geneva's/Behind with the rent/ (the precise year of this guitar is unknown as it has no serial number)

1959 Gibson ES 335: Baloney again/One more matinee/Wag the Dog.
1964 Fender Stratocaster: Sailing to Philadelphia

1954 Fender Stratocaster:Heart full of holes/Fish and the bird/Punish the monkey/Behind with the rent/Let it all go/We can get wild/Remembrance day/The car was the one/I used to could/A quality shoe/Two skinny kids/Everybody pays/Summer of love/Shangri-la.

Mark Knopfler Signature Stratocaster: Redbud tree/Occupation blues.

Pensa MK 'D': Not on anything released, only recorded live on Kingdom of Gold. (I accepted Kingdom of Gold as the correct answer)

Grosh Electrajet: Yon two crows/Piper to the end.

Gibson ES330: Madam Geneva's/Behind with the rent/ (the precise year of this guitar is unknown as it has no serial number)

1959 Gibson ES 335: Baloney again/One more matinee/Wag the Dog.

1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard: The scaffolders wife/Let's see you.

1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard: So far from the Clyde/Before gas and Tv/Cleaning my gun/You can't beat the house/Remembrance day/Dream of the drowned submariner/Yon two crows/Follow the ribbon/Today is OK/Hot or what/Why aye man/You don't know your born/Speedway at Nazareth/5:15am/Back to Tupelo/Whoop de do/The trawlerman's song.

Gretsch 6120: In the sky/Punish the Monkey/The fizzy and the still/Hard shoulder/Yon two crows/Seattle.
1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard: The scaffolders wife/Let's see you.

1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard: So far from the Clyde/Before gas and Tv/Cleaning my gun/You can't beat the house/Remembrance day/Dream of the drowned submariner/Yon two crows/Follow the ribbon/Today is OK/Hot or what/Why aye man/You don't know your born/Speedway at Nazareth/5:15am/Back to Tupelo/Whoop de do/The trawlerman's song.

Gretsch 6120: In the sky/Punish the Monkey/The fizzy and the still/Hard shoulder/Yon two crows/Seattle.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1071 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:40 PM »
If a Fender Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul means rock songs, then Redbud Tree and Go, Love are two of the rock songs in Privateering?

Absolutely right.  Your following post has some surprises in there and that can only support this. I suppose played through different amps and with different set-ups can make the sound poles apart.   

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1072 on: August 30, 2014, 11:47:47 PM »

The Gibson Super 400 CES...  ;)

I rest my case  :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:51:59 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1073 on: August 31, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »
I remember Dermot (strat61) saying something like this on Mknews forum some years (decade ?) ago :

"if we had a recording diary in 1980, with some clues about guitars used during the recording sessions, we could have thought that Romeo & Juliet was going to be a delta blues type song...and of course it was not"

so I agree that knowning the guitar(s) used during recording sessions can't give any indication about the album musical style direction.

the same guitar can be used in different styles, and different guitars can be used in the same style

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1074 on: August 31, 2014, 10:43:59 PM »

Case?  Okay so it's not great but it isn't country either.  :)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1075 on: September 01, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »

Hehe, well "case" in the meaning that you can't really tell which type of music MK plays by looking at the guitar. That guitar would be suitable for jazz och Chet type of country. But in this case it's a well over 170 bpm rocker.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1076 on: September 01, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
Mark used the Super 400 mostly for jazz-blues-lounge style (fade to black, your latest trick live) and rock' n' roll (Elvis - Scooty Moore tribute, run me down, or this mademoiselle with Jools Holland), and rarely for "country" (will you miss me) or other style (the lick at the end of each verse on On every street)

this super 400 looks more "jazz-rockabilly-50ies" than "country" to me

When Mark goes "country music", he rather uses telecasters (setting me up, belle star, yakety axe) or grestch (red stagerwing) or even LP (are we in trouble now) and of course acoustic guitars

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1077 on: September 01, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »

Hehe, well "case" in the meaning that you can't really tell which type of music MK plays by looking at the guitar. That guitar would be suitable for jazz och Chet type of country. But in this case it's a well over 170 bpm rocker.

Ah.  I concur.

Offlinestrat61

• Guitar George
« Reply #1078 on: September 20, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
I remember Dermot (strat61) saying something like this on Mknews forum some years (decade ?) ago :

"if we had a recording diary in 1980, with some clues about guitars used during the recording sessions, we could have thought that Romeo & Juliet was going to be a delta blues type song...and of course it was not"

so I agree that knowning the guitar(s) used during recording sessions can't give any indication about the album musical style direction.

the same guitar can be used in different styles, and different guitars can be used in the same style

Wow thanks for the quote JF .... after many years I'm glad to be back in the game! Looking forward to Dublin next May!

LoveExpresso

« Reply #1079 on: September 20, 2014, 09:10:41 PM »
Wow, cool to read the name Strat 61 here again - gives me some nostalgic feel about it..  ;D :wave

Please keep on writing! Old MKNews folks are always great to read and see!

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.