Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 598395 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1620 on: October 12, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
The song itself is a masterpiece and I love it live from the first time I listened to the Glasgow 2011 version. It's just that the studio cut is shit to me.
I am not sure but I guess this one and Haul Away were recorded directly the next day after the last Bob night in London 2011 because the band was still together? Maybe they should have just included live tracks of those two songs, both were live much more intense and better in 2011.

LE
Where did you read that? Never heard about that

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1621 on: October 12, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
The song itself is a masterpiece and I love it live from the first time I listened to the Glasgow 2011 version. It's just that the studio cut is shit to me.
I am not sure but I guess this one and Haul Away were recorded directly the next day after the last Bob night in London 2011 because the band was still together? Maybe they should have just included live tracks of those two songs, both were live much more intense and better in 2011.

LE
Where did you read that? Never heard about that

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

Actually I think both were recorded before tour with Dylan because of the difference between the studio and live version. For example, "haul away" intro in studio is totally different to the one they play live... If it had be recorded after Dylan tour they would had recorded the same intro... Which is the same they keep playing, so probably that different intro was recorded before and they didn't like it when playing live...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1622 on: October 12, 2018, 09:41:02 PM »
I think what we have to factor in here guys is marks change in approach (and deterioration) as a performer.

Back in the day DS were (almost) always better live than the studio recordings. The alternate arrangements, the dynamics, extended solos etc (ironically the only song I prefer studio to live is TOL despite 22 minute live versions! Terry never quite got the complexity of picks drumming, and mark never quite got the emotion of the studio solo - Just my opinion). The older MK gets it seems to me that live has become less about an external performance and more about feel, less structured more improv, and to my (admittedly jaded) ears he now struggles to match up to what he can do in the comfort of BG. Its not a criticism, but probably more of a process to do with age and longevity in the industry, and its also probably goes someway to explaining why we get' safe' setlists, and less complexity live.

Thoughts?

I think that changing the setlist and swapping some songs around each night could be the best thing he could do!  It will inspire him and keep his concentration levels high instead of allowing himself to fall into a comfort zone, which is essentially a false sense of security.

But there comes a time for everyone where you cant change all the time, as the saying goes, you cant teach an old dog new tricks. Perhaps this is where mark is at?
I believe we always get the best of possible from given in the end, and it's always a compromise of course, it has to be that way, but what you can be sure when it comes  to Mark is that is always in Your behalf! end you know, it's never a "done deal", you can't plan it or be sure about it, it is just the best from what Marks wants combined with a current line up and their, always unique, distinctive personality.
Intangible if you try comprehend it if you ask me.
I would say "well just play!" as he tells to Chet in There'll Be Some Changes Made!
 :wave
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:53:35 PM by Stanko »
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #1623 on: October 12, 2018, 10:55:24 PM »
I think what we have to factor in here guys is marks change in approach (and deterioration) as a performer.

Back in the day DS were (almost) always better live than the studio recordings. The alternate arrangements, the dynamics, extended solos etc (ironically the only song I prefer studio to live is TOL despite 22 minute live versions! Terry never quite got the complexity of picks drumming, and mark never quite got the emotion of the studio solo - Just my opinion). The older MK gets it seems to me that live has become less about an external performance and more about feel, less structured more improv, and to my (admittedly jaded) ears he now struggles to match up to what he can do in the comfort of BG. Its not a criticism, but probably more of a process to do with age and longevity in the industry, and its also probably goes someway to explaining why we get' safe' setlists, and less complexity live.

Thoughts?

Fully agree with you, well said. Back in the day arrangements got developed and enhanced, nowadays the live versions seem to be somewhat pale imitations of the studio versions. The band does a rather good job however Mark’s parts would always remain the most important to me for these tunes. I might sound a bit harsh here but singing/mumbling (too often out of tune) combined with rusty (to put it mildly) guitar leads can’t compete with the carefully produced studio recordings imho. Can’t blame Mark for this because I wouldn’t expect anything radically different from this for an artist of his age and stage in his career. The more amazing it is he still produces one wonderful album after another.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1624 on: October 13, 2018, 09:03:11 AM »
And it's not that bad at all.
Last concert I attended was Sion 2015. It is not Mark's best concert ever by technical standards, but it is still excellent. TR from that night is slower and simpler than, say, Lyon 2005, but it is quite well played and very enjoyable to listen again. SAN, KOG,BIA, HFB, and even Sultans at times (Sion is one of them) were very well played in 2015.
We are a bunch of spoil kids :) 99,9% of the people attending one of Mark's concerts don't go into small details like we do, and just say "it was magical"...

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
« Reply #1625 on: October 15, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
Last concert I attended was Sion 2015. It is not Mark's best concert ever by technical standards, but it is still excellent. TR from that night is slower and simpler than, say, Lyon 2005, but it is quite well played and very enjoyable to listen again. SAN, KOG,BIA, HFB, and even Sultans at times (Sion is one of them) were very well played in 2015.
We are a bunch of spoil kids :) 99,9% of the people attending one of Mark's concerts don't go into small details like we do, and just say "it was magical"...

:thumbsup :clap :) agreed
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1626 on: October 15, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »

I agree too!    Manchester was very good in 2015 and I still listen/watch with pleasure - it was extra-long too and MK seemed pretty energetic and in good spirits.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
« Reply #1627 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »

Manchester was great strong sultans and hill farmers really enjoyed it and listen too it quiet often

I agree too!    Manchester was very good in 2015 and I still listen/watch with pleasure - it was extra-long too and MK seemed pretty energetic and in good spirits.   :)
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #1628 on: October 29, 2018, 05:57:36 PM »
GF today: "Another single on its way I understand...and this one is a KILLER"
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1629 on: October 29, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »

interesting, implying it's much better than the first
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #1630 on: October 29, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »

Or maybe he's talking about the 'louder' song with guitars drums etc.?
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1631 on: October 29, 2018, 06:04:15 PM »

I hope it'll be Heavy Up.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1632 on: October 29, 2018, 06:11:58 PM »

I hope it'll be Heavy Up.

noooooooooo  not heavy up ! :disbelief

I hope it will be back on the dance floor or trapper man :P 8)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1633 on: April 01, 2019, 08:48:13 PM »
Looks like is not possible anymore to post in Guy's forum.

Would it be just to avoid April's fool jokes?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #1634 on: April 01, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »
Looks like is not possible anymore to post in Guy's forum.

Would it be just to avoid April's fool jokes?

Just during site maintenance, I guess.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.