Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 595803 times)

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1815 on: September 24, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »
You can spend tens of thousands on excellent equipment, but in the end, it all depends on your ears and your habits. I guess the generation that grew up with CD is just used to it and configurated on it.
Vinyl only sounds better than CD  with a really good equipment. CD sounds good even on a crappy playing device.

LE

Most people just put their hifi system in the room without much consideration as to where it sounds best. Usually the aesthetic aspects are more important (especially to women), but without proper placement of the speakers and the right listening position, the audio quality will suffer. And you're right, for vinyl to sound really good, there are so many more factors to consider. CDs and digital files are much easier to deal with. A good DAC, a decent stereo amplifier and a set of decent speakers that match the amplifier, are well-suited to the room and properly placed, then you're pretty much set.

I just go by the colour.  I've a nice champagne colour CD player.  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1816 on: September 24, 2021, 01:45:54 PM »
Guys, i do not want to speculate on this too much because after all, we just dont know

But

I know a lot of people are hoping for one last MK tour, even if it's a small tour with some dates in the UK and possibly The Netherlands, Germany, France etc.
I myself am hoping for one last tour because i became obsessed with MK and DS after i picked up the guitar for the first time in April of 2020.

I was too late for MK's 2019 tour and im 21 years old right now, so it's not like i've been around long enough to see DS perform.
I can't let it happen that i won't see MK live in concert ever

Here's the big but:
I've seen some people speculate that Mark's (possibly last) album will be released no sooner than september of 2022.

Mark will be 73 at the time and we've all seen the concerts from 2019...

I can only hope for 1 thing. And that is that MK will get his guitar skills back up there (i'm not saying it is bad right now but the difference between the 2015 and 2019 tour was significant) and give us one last banger of a tour even if it's not a lot of dates.

After all, it is possible. Eric Clapton is on tour in the states right now and he is 76 years old and has been in far better shape.

What is you guys' take on this?

Ben

I hope for a small tour in 2023 with some dates in the UK Europe and US. Max of 40 concerts. . About 15 in the UK and the rest in Europe and some in the US. Nobody knows what will happen

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1817 on: September 24, 2021, 03:04:37 PM »
Guys, i do not want to speculate on this too much because after all, we just dont know

But

I know a lot of people are hoping for one last MK tour, even if it's a small tour with some dates in the UK and possibly The Netherlands, Germany, France etc.
I myself am hoping for one last tour because i became obsessed with MK and DS after i picked up the guitar for the first time in April of 2020.

I was too late for MK's 2019 tour and im 21 years old right now, so it's not like i've been around long enough to see DS perform.
I can't let it happen that i won't see MK live in concert ever

Here's the big but:
I've seen some people speculate that Mark's (possibly last) album will be released no sooner than september of 2022.

Mark will be 73 at the time and we've all seen the concerts from 2019...

I can only hope for 1 thing. And that is that MK will get his guitar skills back up there (i'm not saying it is bad right now but the difference between the 2015 and 2019 tour was significant) and give us one last banger of a tour even if it's not a lot of dates.

After all, it is possible. Eric Clapton is on tour in the states right now and he is 76 years old and has been in far better shape.

What is you guys' take on this?

Ben

I hope for a small tour in 2023 with some dates in the UK Europe and US. Max of 40 concerts. . About 15 in the UK and the rest in Europe and some in the US. Nobody knows what will happen

We can only dream and hope of a tour of sorts from the master but unfortunately I just cannot see it....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1818 on: September 24, 2021, 03:08:09 PM »
You can spend tens of thousands on excellent equipment, but in the end, it all depends on your ears and your habits. I guess the generation that grew up with CD is just used to it and configurated on it.
Vinyl only sounds better than CD  with a really good equipment. CD sounds good even on a crappy playing device.

LE

Most people just put their hifi system in the room without much consideration as to where it sounds best. Usually the aesthetic aspects are more important (especially to women), but without proper placement of the speakers and the right listening position, the audio quality will suffer. And you're right, for vinyl to sound really good, there are so many more factors to consider. CDs and digital files are much easier to deal with. A good DAC, a decent stereo amplifier and a set of decent speakers that match the amplifier, are well-suited to the room and properly placed, then you're pretty much set.

I just go by the colour.  I've a nice champagne colour CD player.  :lol

How awfully nice dmg  :wave

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1819 on: September 24, 2021, 03:08:35 PM »
If the album is released in 2022, then the tour could be in 2023 and MK will be approaching 74 yrs.   I doubt very much it will happen, I'm sorry to say.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1820 on: September 24, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
If the album is released in 2022, then the tour could be in 2023 and MK will be approaching 74 yrs.   I doubt very much it will happen, I'm sorry to say.

I agree, but perhaps he may play some 'showcase' shows or similar but I just can't see it to be honest....

Remember his prize quote from the start of the Barcelona 2019 show - 'Must be no more travelling for old Grandad'!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 04:02:44 PM by Knopflerfan »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1821 on: September 24, 2021, 04:14:06 PM »

And also some of the band will be aged in 2023 as follows:

Richard Bennett - approaching 72,
Glenn Wharf: 69,
Guy Fletcher: 63,
Mike McGoldrick: 51,
John McCusker: 50,
Ian Thomas: 63,
Danny Cummings: 66....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1822 on: September 24, 2021, 05:00:20 PM »

I agree, but perhaps he may play some 'showcase' shows or similar but I just can't see it to be honest....

Remember his prize quote from the start of the Barcelona 2019 show - 'Must be no more travelling for old Grandad'!

It's just not happening is it.  Honestly I'm not so disappointed such has been the decline in his performances.

How about finishing the solos on his new albums from now on to compensate!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1823 on: September 24, 2021, 07:06:20 PM »

It's just not happening is it.  Honestly I'm not so disappointed such has been the decline in his performances.

How about finishing the solos on his new albums from now on to compensate!

I'm with you with regards the touring thing and convinced it will not happen....Hopefully a little more guitar work in his forthcoming album would be nice.....

Onlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1824 on: September 24, 2021, 07:41:37 PM »
So the last concert of MK was at New York MSG in 2019…….
Besides some words at the beginning of the tour that he was thinking about stop touring no words after 10 concerts.
I’ve read somewhere ( i believe it was Guy’s forum) the reactions of the crowds were so overwhelming that he was having doubts. No official word anymore of any kind after that. No press release or something like that, that he stopped touring.
There is also the possibility that he will do some concerts oktober november just after the album release. Perhaps he will not stick at his usual schedule what he has been doing the last 15 years.
No, i think he will do some concerts again… although i do believe his tourschedule will not be the same like the last tour.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1825 on: September 24, 2021, 07:45:56 PM »
Besides some words at the beginning of the tour that he was thinking about stop touring no words after 10 concerts.
I’ve read somewhere ( i believe it was Guy’s forum) the reactions of the crowds were so overwhelming that he was having doubts. No official word anymore of any kind after that. No press release or something like that, that he stopped touring.
There is also the possibility that he will do some concerts oktober november just after the album release. Perhaps he will not stick at his usual schedule what he has been doing the last 15 years.
No, i think he will do some concerts again… although i do believe his tourschedule will not be the same like the last tour.

I like your enthusiasm, but again I just cannot see him touring again - I would love to be wrong but I'm not convinced...

Where are you getting October & November as dates from? When is the album out then?

One off shows perhaps but even then I'm not sure....

Onlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1826 on: September 24, 2021, 08:43:27 PM »

I like your enthusiasm, but again I just cannot see him touring again - I would love to be wrong but I'm not convinced...

Where are you getting October & November as dates from? When is the album out then?

One off shows perhaps but even then I'm not sure....

I’m just saying that it is possible. We all know his tourschedule for the last 15 years or so.
When a new album is out, the year after he starts touring in april/may untill the end of july in Europe and after a break for 6 weeks or so he moves on to the states.. That’s not gonna happen again. But who knows what he will do in the future.
If touring is to hard for him perhaps he will do it in a other way that he is comfortible with…
So no big tours but perhaps something like EC. It is possible but we don’t know if MK wants to do something like that..
Nobody knows, all we can do speculate. Some say he will tour again and some say he will not…

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1827 on: September 25, 2021, 08:05:03 AM »
I think it is possible, however, it's all down to Mark's health, it's different with Phil Collins, he is the Genesis front man, so can gat away with not playing drums, but Mark is different, there is no point Mark just singing and not playing, I don't think he would ever even dream of doing that, so, we will just have to wait and see, is he the type of person to announce a "farewell tour" I am not sure, but I doubt it, the good news though is that if he doesn't tour again it frees him up to spend more time recording, and doing the occasional live performance. I will be happy with whatever he decides to do.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1828 on: September 25, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
I think it is possible, however, it's all down to Mark's health, it's different with Phil Collins, he is the Genesis front man, so can gat away with not playing drums, but Mark is different, there is no point Mark just singing and not playing, I don't think he would ever even dream of doing that, so, we will just have to wait and see, is he the type of person to announce a "farewell tour" I am not sure, but I doubt it, the good news though is that if he doesn't tour again it frees him up to spend more time recording, and doing the occasional live performance. I will be happy with whatever he decides to do.

I think he will now concentrate on his writing, recording and his life in general....he doesn't owe us a tour after all...he more or less said he wouldn't be touring again during the 2019 tour. I have mixed emotions personally with regards
ever seeing him play live again. Of course I will miss it but I wouldn't want to see him struggling to play on stage either....

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #1829 on: September 27, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »

And also some of the band will be aged in 2023 as follows:

Richard Bennett - approaching 72,
Glenn Wharf: 69,
Guy Fletcher: 63,
Mike McGoldrick: 51,
John McCusker: 50,
Ian Thomas: 63,
Danny Cummings: 66....

Don’t worry, Keith Richards and Mick Jagger are 207 and 235 respectively. ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 36 queries.