Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 599317 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #900 on: February 14, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #901 on: February 14, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
Maybe Guy & Mk offered to record the new Bap cd, but Bap refused it and they are "kind of upset"?

I dont get why Guy would answer like that anyway.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

LoveExpresso

« Reply #902 on: February 14, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »
My guess: When Guy (& and maybe Mark) speak about how a record "sounds", it might have been a totally other meaning than what we think has to do with sound. They developed a honest fetish when it comes to "sound" and "sonic" stuff - I mean Kill To Get Crimson is "spectacular" in Guy's ears... I wish they would skip this whole obsession with British Grove and searching for the one right of 15 identical Martin Acoustics to get "that" special sound and just play away like they did on the first Dire Straits album - that will never happen..
So if we think Bap's album sounds "good" (or better, if you think so, I never liked his voice), then it might be because how the music, well, sounds.
And not so much how it is recorded, balanced, mixed, etc...

Really, sometimes I would prefer another approach in record making then that one the are used to. I remember the pictures in Guy's "KTGC" diary of the book "how to play blues", I remember the stories about that special acoustic and "analog sound" of the Shangri-La record... and really, those records sound very much like any MK record. So much ado about nothing. Oh, they sound expectional well of course, but, KTCG sounds as good as GL, and GL sounds as good as Privateering...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #903 on: February 15, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
Totally agree with LE.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #904 on: March 03, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
Hello Doc. Here you have us, playing with your little clues and try to guess when would be the next MK tour according to your answers, LOL. I
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #905 on: March 03, 2014, 08:04:11 PM »
I agree with LE too.  I'm very happy with the way the first album sounds and Mark seemed happy enough to record Marbletown (or Marblecity as it has become ::)) in his own back room studio not so very long ago, unless I'm mistaken.

I too think he's just "in the huff" as we say that the band didn't get the invite to play.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #906 on: March 03, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
To be fair, there were times when I was moaning about him producing records within three weeks with the pants and I wanted him to work longer on the tracks, explore them and produce maybe well-worked-out stuff again... and now it seems he does exactly that. I will wait until the new album is out to give another judgement about their work in the studio. After all, these transparent internet times are just the reason for us being unpatient. I never heard about him recording until February 1996 for example, with the release date March. The complete time since 1992 (On The Night) was a total bleak Knopfler-era for me. Nowadays Guy mentions that they are back in the studio and the diary-alarm goes off..

It is not so easy ...  ;)

LE

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #907 on: March 03, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
I asked Guy this:

Diary and collaborations
Klaas Bouke Faber
3rd March 2014   

Q: Hi Guy. First of all thanks for the diary! Finally it is there, nice read and some great pictures! Keep up the good work and hopefully there's an update soon.... Also thanks for the contest, I've emailed my answers. After read the diary, 1 subject isn't mentioned: the collaboration you mentioned on the forum earlier. Could you please elaborate on the collaboration thing? Kind regards, Klaas Bouke

A: Not really as the project isn't released yet. It is being mixed right now though, so soon.

So the collaboration and the new album are different projects.
Anybody knows new rumours regarding this collaboration project?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #908 on: March 03, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
Hello Doc. Here you have us, playing with your little clues and try to guess when would be the next MK tour according to your answers, LOL. I

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #909 on: March 03, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #910 on: March 04, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
To be fair, there were times when I was moaning about him producing records within three weeks with the pants and I wanted him to work longer on the tracks, explore them and produce maybe well-worked-out stuff again... and now it seems he does exactly that. I will wait until the new album is out to give another judgement about their work in the studio. After all, these transparent internet times are just the reason for us being unpatient. I never heard about him recording until February 1996 for example, with the release date March. The complete time since 1992 (On The Night) was a total bleak Knopfler-era for me. Nowadays Guy mentions that they are back in the studio and the diary-alarm goes off..

LE

Well said.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMusicGirl1

• Local Hero
« Reply #911 on: March 11, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »

LE

Well said.

What can we say, guess times are changing. I remember in the late 80's/early 90's (during the On Every Street Tour I was about 15/16 years old) I would simply read about a new DS album coming out and I would simply be happy about that fact and purchase the album. In 1996 when Golden Heart came out, there was internet, but no social media yet. Internet was a already a good source of info but still not like today.

Maybe we are at a point now where information and news travels so fast, that we now start to become impatient when we do have to wait a bit longer.....

When it comes to records/albums and music, sometimes I miss the "good old days".

Maaike

OfflineEric Genevelle

• Guitar George
  • Fan since 1982
« Reply #912 on: March 11, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »
I'm agree, When I discovered MK in 1982 (Love over gold), each month, I went to my supermarket with my mother to do shoping only to see if he had relealised a new album. I had to wait 2005, but I've found it very quick !!! ;D
When I saw me in the French Canal + "24 heures" documentary (1991), it's a shame... But I was very proud of this experience.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #913 on: March 11, 2014, 07:41:10 PM »
If I had had internet as son as 1990 I would have probably attended Dire Straits OES kick off and got a chance to hear Pono performed live so the good ole days weren't so good... :think
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #914 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »
I'm agree, When I discovered MK in 1982 (Love over gold), each month, I went to my supermarket with my mother to do shoping only to see if he had relealised a new album. I had to wait 2005, but I've found it very quick !!! ;D
soyez le bienvenue sur notre forum Eric!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 42 queries.