Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #21:2011.11.04, Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden, # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 24219 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Concert #21:2011.11.04, Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden, # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »

I can see why the uninitiated think that MK looks tired and unhappy. But I think those things shows in different ways than from a smile in his case. Of course he likes what he's doing, otherwise he wouldn't record and tour in this scale.

Actually I never seen MK happier than during this tour (at least at Glasgow), really, maybe during GH tour during his "I
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »
Yes, it's lovely to see MK looking so full of joy on this tour!    :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
Thanks for your nice review Maxx!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Yes, thanks for your review, Maxx -  it was a very good read!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »

I can see why the uninitiated think that MK looks tired and unhappy. But I think those things shows in different ways than from a smile in his case. Of course he likes what he's doing, otherwise he wouldn't record and tour in this scale.

Actually I never seen MK happier than during this tour (at least at Glasgow), really, maybe during GH tour during his "I

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=380545

Dylan ruining "To Ramona" with his guitar things while MK tries to make t sound brilliant  :(
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=380545

Dylan ruining "To Ramona" with his guitar things while MK tries to make t sound brilliant  :(

It is always song #2 that is ruined, the one where BD "plays" guitar!  ::)     One listen is enough for me, so when I make my compilation of MK/BD songs I will omit all songs #2!  ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
I attended a Dylan show at the Globen some years back and I'm not sure whether it is the audience as such or the shape and size of the venue (or maybe even the officiousness of some of the attendants) but the place lacked atmosphere. A few days later, I attended Dylan's show at the Forum (?) in Copenhagen and there was more atmosphere but too many members of the audience had drunk rather too much and were constantly going back and forth, so that trying to focus on the performasnce was not easy. I guess it is not  easy to get the right balance.

I agree with the comment about McCusker and McGoldrick - great musicians who really enhance the texture of the music. They add to the variety of sounds and seemed to me to be getting proportionately more attention from MK than even on the last tour.

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »
I attended a Dylan show at the Globen some years back and I'm not sure whether it is the audience as such or the shape and size of the venue (or maybe even the officiousness of some of the attendants) but the place lacked atmosphere. A few days later, I attended Dylan's show at the Forum (?) in Copenhagen and there was more atmosphere but too many members of the audience had drunk rather too much and were constantly going back and forth, so that trying to focus on the performasnce was not easy. I guess it is not  easy to get the right balance.

I agree with the comment about McCusker and McGoldrick - great musicians who really enhance the texture of the music. They add to the variety of sounds and seemed to me to be getting proportionately more attention from MK than even on the last tour.

Yesterday I think it was a mixture of the size and the audience. Most were there for Dylan but even during his set didn't they make so much noise. But it should be said, The Globe Arena isn't a great venue if there's not a rock concert. I've seen at least a few concerts (and a lot of ice hockey) there before, and it's difficult to get a good atmosphere. I'd love to see MK at a place in Stockholm called Cirkus which is proper music venue with around 1500 seats. The Globe was working nice for MK pre -05.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »
As I recall, Dylan played a small place in Stockholm, as a warm-up for a tour that started at the Globen, a few years back. This may well have been the Cirkus.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »
I've not followed this thread too closely, so I apologise if you've seen this before. It is "To Ramona" from Stockholm, shot from an unusual angle - one of the advantages of the "golf ball" shape of the venue, I guess.

You get a brief glimpse of Mark at the start and more of him at the end.

And for those unfamiliar with the lyrics, here they are:-

To Ramona

Ramona
Come closer
Shut softly your watery eyes
The pangs of your sadness
Shall pass as your senses will rise
The flowers of the city
Though breathlike
Get deathlike at times
And there

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 02:31:44 PM »
As I recall, Dylan played a small place in Stockholm, as a warm-up for a tour that started at the Globen, a few years back. This may well have been the Cirkus.

Yep, two years ago. Even if it would be highly possible to have MK there, I mean the US gigs last year were mostly small theaters, I think that'll never happen. But I guess that has to do with promotors.

Thanks for the video link! Great quality!

Also, a question to you folks (Don't wanna start a new thread): On MK.com you can read that "Dylan
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:38:25 PM by Maxx »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
Yes, it has to do with promoters but also with Dylan (or, at least, with his touring management) and the fee he seeks and the profit the promoter and the venue wish to make. As it happens, most of Dylan's European tours are co-ordinated through a UK promoter who commonly uses local promoters in each country to set up things there, so there can be two lots of promoters to satisfy, financially. They, of course, have to assess Dylan's likely ticket sales and the prices that might be charged (taking account of his popularity, how long since his last visit, how well he did last time, where the other cities are on the tour, how favourable recent media coverage has been, and so on and so on) and then have to balance that against what the venues want. Dylan's small venue date in Stockholm was added after the tour had been set up, so the basic economics of the tour had essentially been worked out already.

As for Mark appearing on Dylan's 1973 "DYLAN" album, I think not. That album was issued by Columbia Records after Dylan had moved to Asylum Records. Columbia used material recorded in 1970.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
To solve the 1973 association mystery, the key is "The Lily of the West".
It's on Dylan's album and Knopfler played a version in the 90's with The Chieftains.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who wrote the article made the confusion.  ::)

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
To solve the 1973 association mystery, the key is "The Lily of the West".
It's on Dylan's album and Knopfler played a version in the 90's with The Chieftains.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who wrote the article made the confusion.  ::)

In 1973 MK wasnt a name in music bussiness, so...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.